IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

1 hour ago, PYP said:

From the instructions that came with the DX, another experiment is:  Netgear switch > patch cable > DX #1 > supplied short cable > wall plate (in-wall cat 6)  > Ghent cat 8 > DX > supplied short cable > ER.   That is assuming it works with Cat 8.   Worth a try as an alternative, if you have that time and interest.  

It definitely transmits the signal over CAT 8. I was just wondering if it passes along the benefits of filtration. I guess I can play with a few combinations and see what I learn. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

Here's a nifty heat sink to cool your EtherREGEN and other devices in the same casing. Just lay it on top, fits perfectly and sucks up the heat nicely:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073QS338W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Here is a black version for a few bucks less. Dimensions appear to be the same.  

uoboeuq Black Aluminum Heatsink, Large Heatsinks 3.94" x2.71" x 1.41" inch /100 x 69 x 36 mm Heat Sink Cooling Black Oxide Radiator 26 Fin for IC Module, PC Computer, Led, PCB https://a.co/d/ffzgaMS

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I would not recomment putting the ER on top of other equipment for two reasons: it might make it too hot, and very low phase noise crystal oscillators are susceptible to very low frequency vibrations.

The last deserves a whole book on the subject, there is WAY too much to cover in a single post, I'll try and keep it quite condensed in this reply.

There is a class of vibrations called seismic noise (between about 1Hz and 10Hz) which exists everywhere on earth ( primarily caused by earths crust expanding and contracting as temperatures change across a day AND from cars, trucks and trains going by. There are very few things humans deal with that are sensitive to these vibrations two of them affect audio, DVD head suspensions and high quality crystal oscillators. (others are things like gravity wave detectors and few very esoteric scientific sensor arrays) Note that cheap crystal oscillators (like almost every digital device you own) are NOT sensitive to seismic noise, but the extraordinary crystal suspensions in very low phase noise oscillators ARE. 

The only "anti vibration" platforms, footers etc., you can get that actually attenuate seismic noise are roller bearings. They actually work and work very well. Everything else only works on higher frequency noise.

My preferred way of doing this is a half in thick aluminum slab on top of roller bearings, with the equipment that has really low noise clocks sitting on top.  The ones I use are from Ingress Engineering, their prices are good and they work extremely well.

There is on tradeoff with these platforms, it has to be able to freely "roll". This means no stiff cables, either power or signal going to any of the equipment on that platform. Forget about "garden hose" cables. I personally use DIY cables that are very flexible and limp.

John S.

John, based on these comments, it seems as though my setup is a bad one.

78F29A26-7FFF-463F-8A45-DAADD45BF6F4.jpeg.664e6ef45bdc56aa5f7c885633a9b2bb.jpeg

Think I ought to ditch the little stand and replace it with something on ball bearings? 

On 2/4/2023 at 3:35 PM, Superdad said:

100% generic, rebranding of some $20 FMC. See that oval can?  That's a $0.25 crystal, not even an actual oscillator XO. 

About the biggest money-grab fraud I seen in a long time.

(Pic is right from here so it can be seen that I am posting the $400 ADOT Fiber Kit: https://signals.uk.com/product/adot-mc-fibre-network-kit/)

Wow.  It's so rare to see advertisements depicting the innards of audio gear that it's especially weird to see someone go open kimono to expose how little "there" is there.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The other side of this is you CAN use SFP+ modules on both sides with a switch that just has SFP ports, it will work and may give better results than SFP modules just because the SFP+ modules have lower jitter. You are more likely to get even better results using a switch with SFP+ port that can be manually set to 1Gb since the circuits driving the module will be lower jitter as well. 

John, think for this reason that it also might be worth experimenting with SFP+ modules when connecting a Sonore optical rendu to the SFP receptacle on an EtherRegen's side A? 

• 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, JayDog said:

I am completely new t0 the fiber connections.  Can the SFP-10G-AOC5M cable be used with SFP modules or does it have to be SFP+ modules? I have two of the FTFL1318P2BTL being delivered new week. They are going to be used from the router to the "A" side of the etherregen. The cable I ordered is the a single mode duplex fiber optic cable from Ultra Spec cables. Would the SFP-10G-AOC5M work ok the the above above Finisars?

I have both the Cisco AOC's and Finisars in different parts of my system. 

The AOC's have the SFP built in at each end, so, no, they can't be used with other SFP's. 

I am using them in SFP, not SFP+, applications, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. 

Single mode fiber cables will work fine with the Finisar SFP's. 

sfp-10g-aoc5m-o_utieuyi7uesexzbq.jpg