IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Are there better optical cages and optical interconnects than those sent with the Optical Module (OM)? 

I've taken the cage and wires from my OM and put them into the ER.

The interconnects are way too long and messy at the length they are sent. Will shorter or shorter/better help?

Thank you

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

8 hours ago, ericuco said:

There is whole thread on all things optical at:

ber

Thank you and thanks to JCN3 also

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, Nenon said:

Emile has tested a bunch of different transceivers with his Taiko Extreme server and reported that he liked the StarTech SFP1000zxst transceivers the most. They are expensive at around $90 a piece, but every now and then they pop up new on eBay for $15-$20 if you are patient. I bought two of them cheap but have not tried them. They work with single mode fiber, so make sure you have compatible cable if you decide to try them.

However, the weird thing is that they are extended range transceiver designed for 80 km distance. Connecting them with a much shorter fiber cable (a few meters rather than 80 km) would have some consequences. For example, the transmit light would be very strong, and it could potentially burn the receiving transceiver module. A workaround to this would be to use light attenuators, but as far as I know Emile, and a few of his customers, don't do that and don't have any issues.

I have access to many different transceivers, including Cisco, Arista, and some third party ones but no desire or time to perform a transceiver shootout. If anyone is really interested and committed to do such thing I might be able to help with some test samples.

I just ordered this. It will be in on Friday. I'll report if it makes a difference. They are at Amazon for $56.00 or so.

10 hours ago, Nenon said:

The ZX version? I see it as $72 on Amazon... 

StarTech.com 1000BASE-SX SFP Transceiver Module - 1 Gbps - 550 m - TAA Compliant - MSA Compliant Fiber SFP (SFPSXMM)

I'm assuming this is the correct one. 

If not, let me know.

I do not know the implications of ZX vs SX other than distance; which is irrelevant in this case.

Also, it seems that better ones at each end would be best. I will try that if I hear any difference at all with one, unless someone knowledgeable says that you need 2-of the better transceivers to make a difference.

21 hours ago, Nenon said:

That's a different transceiver. Here is the one Emile recommended - https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-1000BASE-ZX-SFP-Transceiver-Module/dp/B0747WZ8LZ/ 

Thank you

21 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I find the idea that the performance of the ER itself can be affected by overall network configuration to be a bit disconcerting, given it is supposed to be independent of such influences as long as it is the last device before the DAC.

Alex or John, I believe, wrote that earlier switches develop basic patterns of managed electricity that carry through, no matter the effectiveness of the ER in managing noise. They can comment on this.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

Whoa...18 meters or so is quite a distance (based on highest priced Sigma cable and about 2K). But it will be worth it given the very likely improvement over whatever you’ve tested so far. 

I thought it was @2K for 1 meter.

I'll check, now you say this, probably  I was thinking about the USB to replace my Wire World Premium Starlight 7.

I looked at cable co and see the Sigma ethernet is 900...Hmmm....I could have rationalized less 🙂

Thanks

G

6 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

That's why the cost is so high.  You'll see that unlike many other higher end cables, Shunyata is not exorbitant as you increase cable lengths.  The items you're paying for are the 2 CMode bits and the more expensive ends.  But it's really worth a try between the eR and the DAC.  Not clear to me from what you've said just where your focus is re: your current Ethernet setup.

Can't try between the eR and the DAC as the DAC is USB YGGI.

The focus of this is just feeding the eR from the wall. But, that will get complicated by the next phase: My sonic transport is in another part of the house and I want it downstairs in the listening room. That means another switch and that opens up that can of worms...The NEXT switch!!!  More eNet cables. The saga continues.   

47 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

Guess I'm not clear on how you've wired everything in your system.  What is included on both the A and B sides of the eR, especially the B side?  Do you only have the single cable from the wall coming into the A side?  Or is that the B side? 

Right now: metal ethernet cable out of the wall box to the ether Regen. Optical out from the ether Regan to the  optical Rendu. USB out of the optical Rendu, metal in and optical out...simple.

Next, to bring the sonic transport downstairs I need a switch that is fed by the wall-ethernet-box using a metal ethernet cable, the switch is connected by another metal ethernet cable to

A) The sonic transport 

B) Then another metal cable from the switch, to  

C) The ether Regen, and

D) Optical out of the ether Regen to the YGGI.