IGNORED

The EtherREGEN thread for various network, cable, power experiences and experiments

Wondered if I could get a few comments about a possible quick and painless upgrade.

currently run Ethernet from a Xfinity Cable modem to EtherRegen>SoTm> Cary DMS 600 Streamer/dac.  Easy and clean as it gets. I built a room so dedicated power etc. Room is double drywall w/ green glue etc. dead quiet. 27x16x10 angled front walls , soffits, coffered ceilings.  Great sounding room  swarm sub system. Any little change can be appreciated 

Maybe thinking of adding a LPS to the EtherRegan or maybe adding some fiber in the chain. Or what a bout a LPS  for the Modem/router?
The system is really humming and everything works the way it should but I just can’t leave well enough alone
Thanks for any input. 

Russ

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway of upgrading the power on a Arris TG1682 G  cable Modem?  Looks like it has an internal supply as no wall wart etc.

I know not the best solution of Cable/modem combo but everything works as it should and sounds great with the EtherRegan cleaning things up.  Just looking for a easy upgrade.

How about a $200 power supply for the EtherRegen?   Everything really sounds good but just cant stop messing around.

Thanks,

Russ  

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

27 minutes ago, PYP said:

This UpTone LPS is a little more than twice that price:  https://uptoneaudio.com/products/ultracap-lps-1-2

An LPS 1.2 is settling into my system now.  It has only been one day, but it is clearly a nice upgrade to the included SMPS. Long-term, I've found that saving up and buying what I really wanted was the best path for me.  Your mileage, and budget, may vary, of course.  

Yep you are definitely right.  I will check it out.  

• 1 year later...

Is it ok to use a Farad 7 volt LPS without risking damage to the EtherRegen? Looks like the 9 volt may be better suited but have a chance for a nice deal on a used one. 
thanks,

Russ

Thanks    I know you mention the Stock supply is fine but damn this hobby :)

Special thanks to Bkg for pointing me in the right direction on a Farad Super 3/ copper level2/ Sr Orange/Farad PC combo found on another site.  He did this while selling his own stuff, thanks so much. 
enjoying the uptick In Sq but wondering if the silver DC cable might be a better match. I could use a little more sparkle. The cable sounds just as described in the Audio Bacon review. Any other suggestions?

Also the Melco comes today so looking forward checking out the EtherRegen in between its Ethernet out port and  the Bricasti M3 network input. 
Fun and frustration awaits!!  I have had Aurender, Cary’s,Lumin’s in the past but the Melco looks like a different animal. Really wanted to get away from USB with all its add ons but the network route might be worse:)

Currently have Roon and not familiar at all with Minimserver which is embedded in the ex platform of the Melco. Hopefully will be able to figure it out. 
Stay tuned!!

• 5 months later...

Cheers,

picked up a used Farad 3 to power my EtherRegen. It came with a level 2 copper DC cord. I can hear the benefit but it seems to have slightly muted the high end and wondered if the silver level 2 dc cable may be more to my liking. 
Looks the cable is over $ 300 and wondered if anybody has any other suggestions that may work.

thanks,

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to try Fiber as I bought an inexpensive 10Gtek Converter.  None of the components ( ER or its Farad supply, Converter), has a power switch and wondered if there is any sequence I should follow when powering them up.

Thanks,

Russ

Thanks Alex… so I had to order a transceiver as the EtherRegen is behind everything and just noticed it’s a cage( no wonder it’s called that). The transceivers  were already built in the converter. 
I have a Melco nas also on the input side so no worries running copper and fiber on the same side correct?  
thanks

Perfect. The Melco has some nice filtering inside it also. 

Ok so I can see the benefits of the fiber, unfortunately not with the 60.00 that I threw away on this setup to try. 
So what’s is the most part of the equation? Converter? LPS? Fiber cable?, transceiver?

is the ADOT Kit the way to go ?

Thanks

Russ

7 hours ago, russellbobby said:

Ok so I can see the benefits of the fiber, unfortunately not with the 60.00 that I threw away on this setup to try. 
So what’s is the most part of the equation? Converter? LPS? Fiber cable?, transceiver?

is the ADOT Kit the way to go ?

Thanks

Russ

I ordered a IFI Power X.  Guess start with power. Sure an LPS is the way to go but looking to stay out of another expensive rabbit hole. :)

Thanks for the tips!!   Going to let this config settle for a bit. 

Russ