IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

This is all a bit off-topic for this thread, but I really can not let this stand.  Every Cybershaft clock system that I have seen comes with a measurement certification sheet tied to that particular unit/serial number.  The only "reclaimed"/used part it would make sense for them to use would be the 10MHz OCXO at the heart of the unit. It makes sense for their less expensive models, and here is why:

a) Cheap (new) OCXOs ($50~$250 wholesale) are rather worthless when it comes to building a reference clock for audio applications. They may have good stability (frequency drift) specs, but that is unimportant for audio purposes. What counts for audio--if trying to beat a really good XO such as the Crystek CCHD-575 used on our EtherREGEN and ISO REGEN--is ultra-low phase noise at very low offsets: 10Hz and even 1Hz and below. You can't get that for just a few hundred dollars. [An example is the Connor-Winfield OH4 OCXO we have seen promoted in some gear. -100 dbc/Hz at 10Hz is not very impressive when production Crystek 575s are coming out at -108 to -112.]

b) Truly low phase noise (at low offsets) can be ordered, but even in quantity a manufacturer could pay up to $800 for something with eye-popping specs such as -144dbc/Hz at 10Hz.  Yet there are very good -130 @10Hz OCXOs to be had for about $400.  But that is just for the clock module, and excludes the cost of quality power supply circuitry, other circuitry, case, and profit margin. This is why a product like the fine Mutec REF10 is $3,500 (a pretty good deal for the stellar performance actually).

c) However, there is a big market in surplus 10MHz OXCOs, from reputable firms like Morion and others. Here is an eBay example of a few 2007 Morions (though it's a 12V version):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Years-Morion-Double-Oven-MV89A-10MHz-12V-Sine-Wave-OCXO-Crystal-Oscillator/333514733154  -130dBc @ 10Hz.  Sure, the frequency may have drifted a bit over the years, but that does not matter to us.

So if Cybershaft--who clearly is set up to measure and certify phase-noise for every unit they build--is willing to produce a sub-$1,000 reference clock for audiophiles by buying and screening surplus clocks, I think we ought to thank them. Unless someone produces some facts about the company to the contrary. B|

The company clearly states on their website that they use reclaimed clock units.

弊社では、海外より輸入した産業用機器に使用されていたクロックユニットを再利用して低価格帯でご提供いたします

Google Translation of above

We re-use the clock unit used for industrial equipment imported from overseas and offer it at a low price range

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull