IGNORED

I would appreciate some pointers

I've been enjoying the music on my home system and have just now realized that I haven't really tried to upgrade it for about 5 or 6 years. I am thinking of looking into a better DAC than what I have now. I am currently using a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 spdif converter. I have not kept up with technological advances over recent years, so I was wondering what it might cost me to get a noticeable improvement over my current DAC and what you all would recommend I try out. I'd be interested in suggestions up to +- $750.00.

Thanks for any help

Neil M.

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Personally I’d guess that upgrading the source could bring more bang for the buck than looking at the DAC.  My first move would be to try an Innuos server in place of the Mac Mini. Its a dead easy upgrade, easy to implement and in 1 step upgrades the CPU, its power supply and the audio SW.  

I’m pretty sure you’ll be quite surprised at the affects on SQ of putting less noise into a DAC

I shall look into that. Thanks

Neil M.

CA System 2013 i7 Mac Mini, JRiver, AQ Cinnamon, MF V Link 192, Teradak PS, DACiT, W4S STI 1000, Linn Ninka's

Main System (Analogue) LP12, Ittock, Klyde, Lingo 2, Kairn, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

Main System (Digital) CEC TL51, dCS Elgar, dCS Purcell, Wavelength Duetto, AvanteGarde Uno's

• 3 weeks later...

I've used an Arcam irDAC with great satisfaction for years now, but I recently got interested in the ES9038 Sabre chip and it's various implementations.  I bought a Topping DX7 Pro, and it's a significant upgrade from the Arcam.  I don't need the headphone amp but I liked the built-in PS and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the option for headphones.  It's really quite a transformation in my system--terrific transparency and punch.  Topping's DACs have gotten very good reviews and they're well under your budget.  I bought mine from Apos Audio and it arrived within a week.  They also have a 30-day return policy if you don't like it.  Highly recommended.