IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

5 minutes ago, allo.com said:

You are correct ..but with a qualified yes

The noise is not from switching elements its from connection from RF (Ghz) connection. Its much easier to attenuate in Ghz then Mhz. Also the amplitude (voltage peak ) its smaller in Ghz

So easier to mitigate , harder (Ghz) to bleed into analog (0-20Khz)

So for maximum SQ I will go from SIG with a wired ethernet connection to my Mac.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

30 minutes ago, allo.com said:

I would say maximum SQ a good USB stick = equal to wired Ethernet

For streaming from Qobuz the best solution for me:

WiFi >>>Mac>>>wired ethernet>>>USBridge Sig>>>Revolution DAC

Matt

27 minutes ago, biosailor said:

OK, finally got it to work that Roon streams via Squeezelite to moOde (see attached file)!!!

I can now use Roon and combine it with moOde. Great!

I shall do some critical listening later on.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Best regards,

Paul

SqueezeLite.png

Congrats,

did you get to work Audirvana via UPnP to MoOde as well?

Thanks

Matt

4 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Will tackle that tomorrow. At least I saw that Audirvana recognised moOde as UPnP, but I couldn't get Audirvana to play. I'm sure it'll work. More tomorrow.

Nice,

I am curious about your impressions:

Roon vs. Audirvana both with moOde and UBS.

Matt

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

Interesting, I have never heard of the Revolution DAC. Who is the manufacturer? Any pointer or specifications? Thanks, nbpf 

This DAC is after Shanti and the UBS the third new product from Allo. 

Not yet launched but upcoming this year it is an USB DAC which can be powered from the second output of Shanti.

For info search on diyaudio for "revolution" and user "cdsgames".

Matt

1 hour ago, nbpf said:

@seeteeyou, @matthias: thanks for the clarifications. Thus, what are you currently using as DACs and @matthias, why do you think that WiFi > Mac > wired ethernet > USBridge Sig > Revolution DAC will be the best solution for you?

Have to and want to go Wifi from IAP in my UR to my system which are on different levels of my house.

Want to stream Qobuz/Audirvana to UBS.

Use at the moment a Khadas TB as DAC and think the Revolution DAC might be an upgrade.

Matt

20 minutes ago, biosailor said:

Tried To get Audirvana to UPnP to moOde. Even thhough Audirvana recognizes moOde‘s UPnP, it wouldn‘t start playing tracks! I have to get advice from the moOde community.

As pointed out yesterday, Roon via Squeezelite zone is no good. Whatever you gain with the USBridge Sig is lost and the sound becomes less detailed.

For the moment, the simplest solution is Ropieee XL on the USBridge Sig. This allows to use either Roon or Audirvana. From the two, I prefer Audirvana. Although the difference between Roon and Audirvana is slight, I find Audirvana to be a tad quieter and a bit better in bass. Also, Audirvana‘s new remote app is more reliable than Roon‘s, at least on my iPad Mini.

Thanks for sharing, It is a pity that Audirvana does not work with moOde so far. 

Interesting your findings related to Squeezelite. @clipper found  Roon via SL sounding superior but using Gentooplayer not moOde.

I am glad that your set-up works and you are happy with UBS.

Enjoy:-)

Matt

7 minutes ago, Aprobin said:

Ok, it’s done.

These are nuances, slight shades one way or the other. USB from the USBridgeSig sounds rich and robust, SPDIF from USBridgeSigDigioneSig sounds clearer, sharper, more incisive. Just preferences one way or the other at this point and probably downstream amps and transducers will likely impact the verdict on this one one way or the other. I’m feeding the Bifrost 2’s balanced outputs into a Schiit Mjolnir 2 balanced headphone amp, which in itself is a bit dark and chunky in comparison with the Lyr 3 in my other system which has that clean, clear, incisive character. SPDIF into the Bifrost 2 might be a bit much if the Lyr 3 rather than the Mjolnir 2 was in place for this comparison.

However, what swings it in favour of SPDIF for me is that I’m finding it just that bit more gripping, engaging and musical. One of the tracks that I used in the comparison sounded great on the USB input, but gave me goosebumps second time through on SPDIF.

Will I buy another Digione Signature? Probably ... sooner or later, but will just do a couple more comparisons tomorrow from fresh again.

Interesting,

so Unison does not seem to be the last word for USB or the output of the DS is superior to the output of the UBS?

Matt

2 hours ago, mfsoa said:

OK upon further listening differences are apparent between the sound from USBridge Sig vs. stacked DigiOne Sig.

Comparing a single source file sent by Roon simultaneously as grouped zones, to the USBr (Shanti 3A), and the Digi (Shanti 1A) is easy, just switch inputs on the Brooklyn Dac+. All Roon DSP off so no upsampling etc. 

USBr sounds louder and images are more forward. A more Hi-Fi, juiced-up presentation. Tonally brighter because of this. I can't use the Uptone USBPC connector unfortunately due to space limitations so am using a 6' Audioquest USB I had around.

The Digi has a more restrained, mature sound that ultimately satisfies more in the long run. Image depth is pushed back but keeps going wayyy back. Overall cleaner sound vs. USBr in that image outlines for the Digi are more distinctly defined while those of the UsBr are relatively frayed, with a tiny electronic haze to them.

Fun to be able to switch back and forth...

Hope that makes any sense.

-Mike

What is the conclusion?

Is the DS superior to the UBS or the SPDIF input of Brooklyn superior to the USB input?

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

I'm surprised you aren't aware of what the CISCO 2960 brings as the improvements there are ethernet related. 

I think it makes sense to explore new devices like the EtherRegen which are IMO better sounding alternatives than the Cisco 2960.

My question directed to @allo.com:

Do exist any reports that USBridge Signature works with EtherRegen?

Thanks

Matt

2 hours ago, gstew said:

I am running a USBBridge Signature quite nicely with an EtherRegen since Tuesday. 

Greg in Mississippi

Greg,

this is the combo I am looking for.

Can you elaborate further?

Thanks

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I've got a new Allo USB Sig and Shanti LPS.  I'm *very* impressed.  I tried the old Allo USB and the DigiOne and neither stayed in the main system, but this is a keeper.  Feeding my new Topping DX7 Pro it's exceptionally clean and transparent.  Good studio recordings take on the quality of live performances because of the immediacy of the sound.  For the time being I've settled on RopieeeXL driven by Audirvana because I prefer Audirvana's drag-and-drop functionality and it's ability to play just about any type of file format.  RopieeeXL is new to me, and as a renderer it *really* steps out of the way!  I've also tried Moode Audio, which as a standalone player is very good.  Volumio works too, but be sure you download the most recent image from Allo's support page, otherwise you may have ethernet problems.  They all have a slightly different sound sig, Volumio being the "warmest" to my ears, but all three deliver up to the max resolution of the DAC, including DSD, with no problems.  I find  DietPi complicated and fussy, and it offers no benefit to me over the others, but I might try it again.

I recently built a pair of reproduction Williamson "Musician's Amplifier" monoblocks with original Peerless output transformers, driving my old ProAc Response 2's.  I didn't realize what they were capable of until I added the USB Sig to my system!

Thanks for your post, very valuable information!

Can you please elaborate further why you prefer RopieeeXL over the other two renderers?

Thanks

Matt

3 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I had never tried Ropieee before.  I think there's an absolute minimum of software involved, it's only function being to act as a renderer for Roon or a DLNA client.  It just seems clearer and cleaner than Moode or Volumio with Audirvana.

Did you notice any issues in the interplay between Audirvana and RopieeeXL?

Did you try upsampling to the higher rate DSD with Audirvana and playback via RopieeeXL?

Thanks

Matt

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:36 AM, zackthedog said:

RopieeeXL will not do DSD with the Topping DX7 Pro.

Volumio and Moode, if you use the images from Allo support, will do DSD, standalone or with Audirvana upsampling.  No glitches that I can hear.

Hi,

Allo informed the developer of Ropieee about this issue.

Maybe the best to stick to Moode so far as also done in the AS review of USBridge Sig.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jonjon77 said:

Speaking of the shanti, I put a Synergistic research orange fuse inside and it became even better.

I know it's the price of the Shanti (I kind of get it free because there was a discount "buy two fuses and get one for free"), but if you want to get the best of the Shanti, you can consider this upgrade.

You can even bypass the fuse in the Shanti (which is supposed to sound even better) and in the case the Shanti fails (it will most assuredly not happen) buy another one.

Matt

2 hours ago, smith123 said:

No one is using a usb powered dac?

I think it is a most valuable question how the USBridge Signature is able to power an pure USB-DAC which does not have its own power supply.

There are nice USB-DACs like Khadas Tone Board for example which should be a good match with the Allo.

So any feedback is most welcome. 

@allo.com?

Thanks

Matt