IGNORED

Personal Audio with FM

I have been basking in my ideal personal audio setup for the past 2 years!  LG V20.  There's better portable audio out there somewhere, but with diminishing return.  The reason for my post is that the stunning FM tuner  ** not app **  was a deciding factor in choosing the V20.  About 10 days ago, I ventured into my den to transfer some new tunes to the V20, and Wi-Fi caught me.  3 or 4 involuntary updates.  End result:  change in graphics to the OEM FM radio tuner screen (OK), and - most critically - loss of stereo decoding. 

My reason for posting on this forum is in hope that this has happened to another subscriber and that they know the "fix".  I have spent hours Googling and chatting with numerous TMobile & LG support folk, all of whom are totally unaware the phones even have a tuner.  I have factory reset 4 times out of Wi-Fi range (either Android or TMobile update as soon as the reset is underway), but the FM still doesn't break into stereo.  Any tips or advice will be most gratefully appreciated !!  Like, even, an equivalent new device  .  .  .  .  .

Thanks, rando, I feel ya.  What I  ** REALLY **  want to hear from either TMob or LG was my likliest fear:  the entire cell industry is 'shorting out' the tuner circuit from now on so that all of us have to latch onto 4Gapps or Wi-Fi data for music.  I think I knew it was inevitable, but sound quality of my local stations over data channels pales in comparison to the tuner.  I'd reinstall my factory LG tuner app ifn's a friendly LG tech would just slip it my way.

I know of some V30s with working tuners I'd buy, but I'm afraid they'll get neutered involuntarily, too.

I am not familiar with that phone but have you tried rooting and/or Developer options (Not sure Developers is available for non-Pixel phones)?  

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I latched onto the LG V20 because of many glowing reviews in the hi-fi blogs & rags as having superior DAC & amp.  They were correct.  I'm not sure what Developer (accessible) or rooting (almost impossible) would buy me, as I really have no idea what I'd be delving into in order to merely restore OEM features which have run astray due to online pushes.  I firmly suspect that the LG tuner will only work correctly with LG factory software.

HEY, SAMUEL !!  You may be da guy !!  That is a truly target-rich thread, and I'm going to spend some time on it.  I'm not certain that the hot app will work (I have Nougat) or whether I can install without rooting.  The thread is a little old (, and I find my OEM version, 6.20.6, is the one that has been targeted by the "push" to neuter stereo decoding & revise graphics.  I will be playing with these apps to see if I can incorporate one that works!  Will report my findings later!  

I will be walking a tight line connecting again to wi-fi (no SIM installed, either) in order to avoid any more unwanted "updates".  My trust in LG is at rock-bottom.

10 minutes ago, SixChannel said:

HEY, SAMUEL !!  You may be da guy !!  That is a truly target-rich thread, and I'm going to spend some time on it.  I'm not certain that the hot app will work (I have Nougat) or whether I can install without rooting.  The thread is a little old (, and I find my OEM version, 6.20.6, is the one that has been targeted by the "push" to neuter stereo decoding & revise graphics.  I will be playing with these apps to see if I can incorporate one that works!  Will report my findings later!  

I will be walking a tight line connecting again to wi-fi (no SIM installed, either) in order to avoid any more unwanted "updates".  My trust in LG is at rock-bottom.

I found this by searching for "LGFmRadio.apk"

Looks like the latest is 7.20.12.

EDIT: Looks like this one works with Marshmallow and above.

Well, Samuel, I have to thank you again.  HOWEVER:  when I look at my phone info today, I realize that the menu & display changes I find on it can be explained because it upgraded to Oreo, along with new software #'s, as a consequence of my four "factory reset" exercises the past few days - it appears I'm working from an 8.0 from now on out i/o the 7.0 resident a few weeks ago.   No longer being limited to Nougat apks broadens my horizon considerably.

Don't hold your breath waiting for my Eureka moment, but I'm really under the hood this afternoon.

Thanks again !

After about 10 contacts with LG, I can wrap this issue up:  my V20 likely got terminally hosed with the Oreo update 2 weeks ago - as message boards had warned a couple of years ago, this phone ain't ready to carry Oreo.  My battery reserve, on cue, is dropping like a rock now, and LG tell me I'm  1) not gonna get a restorative Nougat reflash and  2) without rooting, I'm not gonna get my FM radio fixed.  So, after many many hours, I'm off to find a NOS V30.  

Thanks for you help & patience !