IGNORED

Redbook vs. High Resolution Tests Are Clickbait

3 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Too difficult for my Dutch. Can't this be moved to the non-sense thread ? from there I will get it (but won't click).

Back in the day I could understand people wanting to know if they could identify differences between Redbook and high resolution. They could spend less money on a DAC that didn’t support 192 or something or they could purchase the Redbook CD rather than the high res download. Now, all that stuff is included. All DACs support high res and all high res is streamable. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 hours ago, psjug said:

Hi-res music purchases cost more.  Hi-res streaming costs more. Am I not understanding something?

I believe the price is negligible compared to everything else in this hobby, but I see your point. 

However, would any test cause you to purchase the Redbook version, given that such test can only prove valid for the recording under examination and the exact playback chain used?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Slightly off topic... I find there's little analysis of how well a DAC plays red book (16/44). I think this is actually very important, not all DACs do a great job playing red book,  even when they support massively high resolutions.

100% true. Good filters can make all the difference in the world. 

2 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Mark Waldrep is unhappy that his readers couldn't tell the difference. He is a believer in hi-res. He is using his sabbatical this fall to figure out why people can't hear a difference. He and I talked about this at t.h.e. Show in June. 

If you look at John Siau's comments in Highly Resolving Redux, June 5, 2019 on Mark's site you will see the math surrounding the audibility of resolutions greater than 16 bits. 

I have always found the math for what is audible interesting because I refuse to listen to even a momentary peak over 102 dB. 

As an academic pursuit into “why,” I’m unsure that finding the “what” again will help. I could be wrong.