IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

On 8/25/2019 at 6:26 AM, seeteeyou said:

Thanks CTU :)

An update on where I got to with battery packs. The board mentioned made by Ian Canada was not practical for running NUCs at 12-19v as it only lasted a short time due to the current demand. BUT the SQ was amazing!

So this drove me to research battery packs and I ended up making my own with 8x A123 li-po batteries. This configuration is called a 4S2P - 4 in series 2 in parallel, giving 13.2 volt out, enough to power an NUC. Current depends on accumulated value of batteries in this case 4.2amps.

You can buy battery packs ready made online and there is lots of info available for DIY also which I did.

Example of a ready made pack (you would need to buy their recommended charger as well).

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-4200mah-4s2p-30c-lifepo4-pack.html.

and batteries:

https://www.ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk/by-brand/a123

It's important that the battery pack has a BMS for protection  and charging (battery management system board) This protects against overcharging or undercharging and keeps batteries within a set input and output zone. This ensures the batteries will last as they do not like over or under charging or depletion. This is my pack which I topped/charged up each night with a standard laptop charger and runs an NUC amazingly well with really great SQ.

IMG_7458.thumb.JPG.b1f786abc5d7d1dbdf8bad57d2a85348.JPG

4s2P.png

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.