Jump to content
austinpop

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, mriguy said:

You just enter the name of your computer (as shown at the top of the Sharing window in System Preferences) and just the name of the Shared folder, even if it's on a different drive. Is the name of your computer something like garys-mac-mini, or something like that? Be sure to get the slashes correct...  \\yourcomputername\sharedfoldername.  I took a screengrab of my Roon settings... hope this helps! Good Luck!

RoonSharedFolders.JPG

 

Thank you!


Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I may be confused.

 

SSH SCP , etc to move files to the Linux box.

 

Are you trying to do that or just share from the Mac?

 

 

 

Sorry - I'm trying to add music to my Roon music library HDD that is attached to my Intel NUC running AL. I'm on a Mac and I tried the "Connect to Server" method using SMB and I can't get it to work. So I tried the method @mriguy recommended, which is not exactly what I originally wanted to achieve (being able to see the remote HDD on my Mac), but it should allow me to add music to Roon music library which is all I really want to do - if I could get it to work. 


Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gsquared said:

 

Sorry - I'm trying to add music to my Roon music library HDD that is attached to my Intel NUC running AL. I'm on a Mac and I tried the "Connect to Server" method using SMB and I can't get it to work. So I tried the method @mriguy recommended, which is not exactly what I originally wanted to achieve (being able to see the remote HDD on my Mac), but it should allow me to add music to Roon music library which is all I really want to do - if I could get it to work. 

Use one of the GUI based secure file transfer programs on the Mac to transfer the files.  I assume that you mounted the local drive in AL so the OS can see the drive.

 

SMB is not enabled by default in AL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bobfa said:

Use one of the GUI based secure file transfer programs on the Mac to transfer the files.  I assume that you mounted the local drive in AL so the OS can see the drive.

 

SMB is not enabled by default in AL. 

 

Okay thanks! I will try the secure file transfer program again. If SMB is off by default in AL, that would explain why it hasn't been working 😂


Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other thing to consider is whether you're connecting with Root access.

 

User = root

P/W = audiolinux0

 

You need root to edit or create files in Linux


AudioLinux NUCi7DNKE server (powered by SPS-500) > AudioLinux NUCi7DNBE endpoint (powered by LPS-1.2) > PS Audio Directstream DAC > Hegel P20 Pre > PS Audio M700 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Other thing to consider is whether you're connecting with Root access.

 

User = root

P/W = audiolinux0

 

You need root to edit or create files in Linux

 

Good point! I've been attempting to connect as user: audiolinux


Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You problem is that you want to copy some files?
What is the source?  If this source is using samba or nfs you can

1) Mount remote source with the remote mount option in audiolinux main menu
2) Mount internal HDD in audiolinux ( I think this is already done)
3) Copy the files with File editor (not ROOT) in the main menu

 

Please never login as root. You don't need to start samba server to copy the files

 


AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I will try this @hifi25nl

 

I have trouble using File editor, but I will try again. 

 

Thanks!


Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Here a nice guide to Mdnight commander:

http://nawaz.org/media/docs/mc/mc.pdf

 

Thank you! That's very helpful!


Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tapatrick:  Ian Canada's LiFePO4 power supply looks like a great solution.  At what post number or date in that thread are the latest details on how to purchase the board from him?  (It's a very long thread to wade through.)  Tnx!


Mac Mini (2012 i7) > HQPlayer or Audirvana > exaSound e32 > Parasound JC-1 > Thiel 3.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

@tapatrick:  Ian Canada's LiFePO4 power supply looks like a great solution.  At what post number or date in that thread are the latest details on how to purchase the board from him?  (It's a very long thread to wade through.)  Tnx!

Hi Bob. At the bottom of each of Ian’s posts is a link to his group buy with instructions.

 

For general info -  as with all power supply projects every care must be taken when handling and assembling this board. 10 A113 batteries pack a punch and every precaution must be followed to prevent shorting. Probably not one for beginners. 


Tidal Streaming only: ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power stripAqvox 8 port network switch NUC Roonserver (16gb Audiolinux Headless RAMboot, Akasa Fanless case) NUC Roon endpoint (4gb Audiolinux Headless RAMboot, Akasa Fanless case) > USPCB > ISO Regen (Battery powered) > Sonore Ultradigital (powered by LPS-1) > PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac > Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors.

NUCs powered by 2x Paul Hynes SR4s & switch powered by modded Teradak DC30W & LT3045 voltage regulators & PoE Quad Cat DC cables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tapatrick said:

At the bottom of each of Ian’s posts is a link to his group buy with instructions.

 

For general info -  as with all power supply projects every care must be taken when handling and assembling this board. 10 A113 batteries pack a punch and every precaution must be followed to prevent shorting. Probably not one for beginners. 

 

Thanks!  I didn’t figure out that the "GB2019" link meant "group buy".

 

Skimming the instruction manual, it looks like there is no possible configuration for paralleling batteries.  The A123 batteries are rated at 2.5 amp-hours.  Since my e32 DAC draws 1.5A at 12 v, it would run only 2 hours on battery power.  Doesn’t seem like a practical solution for my DAC.


Mac Mini (2012 i7) > HQPlayer or Audirvana > exaSound e32 > Parasound JC-1 > Thiel 3.7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

 

Thanks!  I didn’t figure out that the "GB2019" link meant "group buy".

 

Skimming the instruction manual, it looks like there is no possible configuration for paralleling batteries.  The A123 batteries are rated at 2.5 amp-hours.  Since my e32 DAC draws 1.5A at 12 v, it would run only 2 hours on battery power.  Doesn’t seem like a practical solution for my DAC.

Yes you are correct Bob. I'm still experimenting and will report back when I've had some more more time to test out, so it may not be a practical solution. However the improvement in sound is remarkable...


Tidal Streaming only: ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power stripAqvox 8 port network switch NUC Roonserver (16gb Audiolinux Headless RAMboot, Akasa Fanless case) NUC Roon endpoint (4gb Audiolinux Headless RAMboot, Akasa Fanless case) > USPCB > ISO Regen (Battery powered) > Sonore Ultradigital (powered by LPS-1) > PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac > Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors.

NUCs powered by 2x Paul Hynes SR4s & switch powered by modded Teradak DC30W & LT3045 voltage regulators & PoE Quad Cat DC cables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, tapatrick said:

Yes you are correct Bob. I'm still experimenting and will report back when I've had some more more time to test out, so it may not be a practical solution. However the improvement in sound is remarkable...

to add...However the improvement in sound is remarkable, and this definitely worth considering for other low current devices as there are 5 rails to play with.


Tidal Streaming only: ATL DC Blocker > Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > Sine SA5 Cryo 5 power stripAqvox 8 port network switch NUC Roonserver (16gb Audiolinux Headless RAMboot, Akasa Fanless case) NUC Roon endpoint (4gb Audiolinux Headless RAMboot, Akasa Fanless case) > USPCB > ISO Regen (Battery powered) > Sonore Ultradigital (powered by LPS-1) > PS Audio Directstream Junior Dac > Decware SE84UFO3 Mono Amps > Omega Super Alnico Monitors.

NUCs powered by 2x Paul Hynes SR4s & switch powered by modded Teradak DC30W & LT3045 voltage regulators & PoE Quad Cat DC cables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2019 at 11:25 AM, seeteeyou said:

They're listing that here for $70 plus a few bucks for domestic shipping within Japan

 

https://item.rakuten.co.jp/audio-s/nanoliquid/

 

Though we've gotta order through a shopping proxy service of some sort, I've been using this one myself and they're offering 10% off on Wednesdays / Thursdays / Fridays for Rakuten items

 

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/special/order/confirm/https%3A%2F%2Fitem.rakuten.co.jp%2Faudio-s%2Fnanoliquid%2F/N_1/

 

The fees are either 300 yen or 700 yen

 

https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/help/servicePlan

 

I'm assuming that Squalene Oil wouldn't be considered flammable / combustible or else they couldn't have shipped stuff like skincare products outside Japan.

 

Thanks CTU! Seems to be a bit more hassle doing it this way versus paying ~ $20 more for the Amazon and Ebay sellers. My concern is in all of these situations, the possibility of fakes....

 

Anyone else bought from Rakuten or Ebay/Amazon?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new HQPlayer 4.0 has been out for few days already, and I wonder how many people have tried it.  I have been using it to upsample both redbook and hi-res to DSD512 with just poly-sinc-ext2 and poly-sinc-xtr-lp filters for now, and the improvement over version 3.x is just "jaw dropping" good.  Highly recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, elan120 said:

The new HQPlayer 4.0 has been out for few days already, and I wonder how many people have tried it.  I have been using it to upsample both redbook and hi-res to DSD512 with just poly-sinc-ext2 and poly-sinc-xtr-lp filters for now, and the improvement over version 3.x is just "jaw dropping" good.  Highly recommended.

 

The filters are all the same in both versions is my understanding. So also in the embedded which has been version 4 for some time now. 

 

Maybe you changed your hardware ? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

 

The filters are all the same in both versions is my understanding. So also in the embedded which has been version 4 for some time now. 

 

Maybe you changed your hardware ? 😀

I am not sure what the driver is for the difference, but am just happy and enjoy the improvement.  No hardware change of late other than installed version 4.0 HQPlayer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lifepo4 battery power supplies are far away, of what is possible. 3 years ago we start with that... Go that way... And compare a lot... Then you will find out, that connected to the power line... Is better...

 

Happy listening

 

Sunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you compare other regulators, before you build this monster psu? imho you can paralell as much 3045 as you want, it will never sound really good. 3045 is not specially designed for audio use, like others. It got nice specs but it allways sounds flat. Ripple is only one aspect in psu design. There are many ways to reduce ripple...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...