IGNORED

Hqplayer: best NAA with best sound quality

I like Miska's suggestion or any of the other Intel-based ones, because I'm getting impatient in my old age and for me the ARM chip added another layer of fuss vs. using Intel.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

32 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Oh yes! There are a bazillion little boards whose support is all over the place — sometimes you need to 3D print a case etc etc etc. Or try to figure out how to update firmware that is from 1963 ...

In other cases such as RaspberryPi, there is large enough community that you can mostly burn an SD card, plop it in and go.

Intel is unquestionably more standard.

Yep I was indeed talking about DIY being more of a pain with ARM (pain in the ARM?). When I had a CuBox, Miska's NAA version made specifically for it worked very nicely, but Armbian, Debian, etc., all had irritating quirks. With an Intel-based minicomputer (one of the ASUS VivoMini series), I could use Miska's NAA, or run the daemon on Debian, Ubuntu, AudioLinux, or pretty much anything else I wanted.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Miska said:

signalyst.com server is on 100 Mbps connection. Depending on the server load it can be faster or slower, but the server is on decent internet connection anyway. I don't know why browser would be slow compared to using wget. Some anti-virus plug into browser and scan during the download instead after the download which may slow things down on a large download. What I've tested, I've got fast downloads from that server.

I just tested with Opera browser on Linux and I got 10 megabytes per second download speed, which is as much as much as you can get out of 100 Mbps connection. So the download took couple of seconds.

This could easily be something quite random, but I’ve changed distros and installed HQPlayer a couple of times in the past week, and the download (two Arch-based distros fetching the download for package installation) did seem slow from here in the Western US. Gigabit through the modem, then a Wi-Fi 6 router and Wi-Fi 6 card in the desktop that reliably does over 400Mbps to the desktop in tests, so that shouldn’t be slowing things down; and downloads of other packages installed at the same time seemed to run very fast.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
4 hours ago, sasho said:

Hi Miska,

I would like to set up quality HQ Player system using Teac UD 701 N

As NAA I would like to use fitlet3 with SFP+  , Win 10 IoT Embedded  and 4 GB RAM

Would you please recommend which of the following offered options Is best to get 

1)  ATOM X6425E  (4 core 2 GHz)   or   CJ6413 (2 core 2 GHz)   or   X6211E (2 core 1.3 GHz)

2)  64 GB or 256 GB SSD

3) Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2021 E or V or H

regards

Miska has I believe recommended either the image on SD card as @bogi talked about, or installing minimized Ubuntu Server with the low latency kernel on the fitlet3, then installing NAA there. In the latter case, you’d want to look at minimum hardware requirements for Ubuntu Server.

1 hour ago, dericchan1 said:

Does it really make a difference using a usb reader and a sd card vs just running a usb flash drive?

I’m running minimized Ubuntu Server from an internal flash drive, but I don’t know/recall the answer. Perhaps Miska or Bogi do.