IGNORED

How much difference does it make?

10 hours ago, shtf said:

Interesting how the responses are all over the map.  But that's only because everybody is just guessing.

If we assume every last possible part of the vineyard that makes up a given playback system is already deemed superior, here's how I'd break down where the real performance come from.  

Roughly speaking, real performance can be broken down as follows:

• 60% Not your typical vibration mgmt.
  • 25% Not your typical electrical mgmt
  • 15% Components, speakers, cables, etc
  • 00% room acoustics and/or treatments

One caveat or side note.   Assuming we're talking full-range, a speaker's most optimal placement or position within a given room is an absolute requirement before one can achieve a truly musical, deep, tight, well-defined, and natural bass.  Though this effort can take weeks, months, or even years and even then the most optimal location may never be discovered, even though it's probably there somewhere.

You seem to be saying room acoustics don't matter, assuming the room has perfect acoustics.

6 hours ago, shtf said:

I didn't say it like that by any means.  I really don't care much what the room acoustics are.  Perfect or not.  All I care about is whether or not the room is reasonable.  By that I'm implying there's reasonable floor coverings, reasonable symmetry, reasonably minimal reflective furnishings/surfaces, and reasonable dimensions.  Nothing more, unless I'm forgetting something.

But what you seem to be overlooking is my statement about keeping audible at the speaker the volumes of ambient info already embedded in most any given recording.  If/when that is achieved, the recording hall's ambient info embedded in the recording and remaining audible at the speaker should in most instances completely overshadow most / all room acoustic anomalies.

Oh, you're saying room acoustics don't matter, assuming the room is good enough.