IGNORED

24/352.8 vs. 16/44.1 - an attempt at a comparison

FWIW, Hoff is playing a Steinway D, which is their flagship concert grand.  It's a wonderful piano for "general purpose playing", and I wouldn't kick it off my stage 😎  But I do prefer the slightly fuller, richer sound (at least to my ears) of the big Yamaha.  I had the same preference in a standard size grand when I bought mine back in 1981, so I have a Yamaha at home a well.

The YouTube video of this track is very instructive - it shows mic placement, which explains a lot.  When listening to a solo piano in concert, you don't hear any consistent spatial placement of the registers of the instrument.  When I first listened to the two files at the heart of this thread, I noted strangely consistent placement of different registers between the speakers.  The middle octaves emerge largely from left of center in this recording, while lower and higher octaves often peek out from the right as well as all around.  There's no consistency between the ends of the keyboard and the corresponding speakers, but there is consistent placement of fundamentals around 250-500 Hz.  Before I searched the posts to find out what the song was and who was playing it, I began to wonder if it was a 2 piano piece in a few spots because notes in the same octave seemed to be coming from two distinct places at once. I think that third mic at the far end of the sound board may be the reason for this.

There's also more reflected, delayed sound than I like - my living room is not a cathedral.  To my ears, there's a lot more of this "sonic congestion" at places like 3:20 in 005 than there is in 004.  I have no idea how this relates to the processing being compared in this thread, but that reverberation does not seem so prominent in the YouTube audio.  Perhaps there's some technical explanation in the various analyses in this thread.

I also assume (and hope) that the powered monitor facing Hoff was not live during recording.  If it was, it had to be contributing to the heavy dose of "ambience".

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

The mistake you're making here is implying that 'normal' people can't distinguish live sounds from that of normal audio reproduction rigs - no-one has to know what type of piano, they just have to nail the fact that the sound is coming from speakers, rather than a live instrument.

That may be true if the goal is simply generating audio output that sounds "real".  But it's total nonsense when discussing accuracy in reproduction, which seems to me to be what the OP was addressing. Sounding like one "thinks a piano should sound" is hardly a criterion for judging the quality and accuracy of any component of a playback system.  The OP seems to me to be focusing on whether any element of true fidelity to the source is lost in conversion from higher resolution to lower, to wit:

• "Could there be anything in the original 24/352.8 file that is lost during decimation down to 16/44.1? If so, what could have been lost, considering there’s virtually no music signal above 10kHz anyhow? Is all this hires malarkey really much ado about nothing?"

A mediocre recording of almost any "tack piano" (a piano with thumbtacks in the hammers to simulate old, worn felts) will sound a lot more "live" than a better recording of a poorly maintained Baldwin baby grand.  The tacks generate sharp transient attacks on the notes, and there's a lot more high frequency energy in the signal - it's simply more convincing when played back through almost any system.  The effect is useful in some kinds of music - I did it many times back in the '60s and '70s.  By your criterion, this is good sound. smiley_gagging.gif.7542d6813159347b0a2364517b36da1b.gif

13 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Which is implying that you believe that a microphone and recording system is incapable of capturing the sounds of a live instrument such as a piano.

I can not imagine how you concluded that from what I actually said.

13 minutes ago, fas42 said:

When did I say fake transient attacks on a note makes something more realistic? Or that pumped up treble makes the sound more lively?

You didn’t - I did, because it’s true (except that the transients aren’t fake, they’re real). Having done all this and more on my high speed Crown deck and listened through Infinity Reference Standards driven by a Hafler 500, a Citation 2 and a Marantz 8b, I know it’s correct.