IGNORED

The Environmental thread + Conventional (HI-FI) wisdom is almost always invariably wrong

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I assumed your links to JR content were related to the Neil Young thing because you had kind of put them in a separate paragraph with *******. If I errored, please accept my apology. 

I can understand that, there has been too much JR in the news recently..

I promise I won't link to anything connected with him for at least a month.

Even if he said The Monkeys were the greatest jazz band of all time.

Here are the deleted links, then:

Rolling Stone - Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson Wax Idiotic on Climate Change

CNN - Scientists slam Joe Rogan's podcast episode with Jordan Peterson as 'absurd' and 'dangerous'

As for my:

3 hours ago, Priaptor said:

incredibly misinformed and dogmatic views known with zero substantiation

I said in short that when I (don't actually) listen to guys like JR, I'm not so sure everybody should have a right to free speech and to say whatever he wants publicly (that is also online) in times when fake news and misinformation are the cause of people's deaths, anti-democratic coups or may have quite bad effects for environment. 

3 hours ago, Priaptor said:

On another note, one of the reasons I like this site (not this thread)

Have you ever thought about posting on the threads you like, not the ones you dislike.? 

That's what some people do, most of them are quite happy with it.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to stop you from posting here, your posts for me personally are quite stimulating and entertaining, I only think, observing some of your inner bitterness and frustration (that's the impression I have) that this could be quite beneficial activity for you, my friend.

Have a great evening! :)

2 hours ago, Priaptor said:

I actually have posted on many of the threads beyond the political ones, hence, "my senior status". 

Been here for a 2x shorter period of time and have 2x more posts, hence I've deserved my ÜBER-EXTREMIST status for sheer activity, I believe.. 

2 hours ago, Priaptor said:

I no longer tend to get involved in tweaks or new equipment threads.

Same here. 

It's mostly about music for me now. And politics of course, ha, ha..;)

Since I saw you here for the first time I'm really curious, I hope you won't mind asking about it - is your nick derived from priapism in connection with raptor? 

8 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

LOL, yes in the very early days of the NET when everyone was trying to adopt the very best user names, I came up with that. At the time I thought clever. Kind of like being drunk and getting a tattoo on your face thinking it was pretty cool and waking up and deciding, well since I did it, I might as well stick with it

I think it characterizes some of your personality traits pretty well :)

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Let’s not turn this into a purity test thread. We’ve all done some things we regret in the past. 

I believe me and @Priaptor are having just a friendly chat here. 

You know the way ex-dealers do..

I have nothing against neither birds nor ..prolonged erection, actually would sometimes wish to have a problem like that these days..9_9

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, semente said:

Four ways Joe Biden has failed on climate

Emily Holden

Been observing his declarations and actions (not only in the environmental field) with a huge credit of sympathy which definitely decreased over time and the process began soon after the COP26 with his oil drilling Gulf of Mexico lease permissions which was the first big disappointment.

Difficult not to agree with this statement:

On 2/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, semente said:

he certainly hasn’t brought the kind of sweeping and aggressive action the world’s scientists say is necessary to avoid catastrophic global heating.

Despite his loud pre- and early post-election declarations.

Sad indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting point of view.

After Hitler invaded the Sudetenland, America turned its industrial prowess to building tanks, bombers and destroyers. Now, we must respond with renewables

"Imagine a Europe that ran on solar and wind power: whose cars ran on locally provided electricity, and whose homes were heated by electric air-source heat pumps. That Europe would not be funding Putin’s Russia, and it would be far less scared of Putin’s Russia – it could impose every kind of sanction, and keep them in place until the country buckled. Imagine an America where the cost of gas was not a political tripwire, because if people had to have a pickup to make them feel sufficiently manly, that pickup would run on electricity that came from the sun and wind. It would take an evil-er genius than Vladimir Putin to figure out how to embargo the sun."

10 minutes ago, semente said:

Caroline Lucas wrote for the Independent on why renewables are the solution to the cost of living crisis, not responsible for it, as some Tories are claiming.

Energy companies make billions while families are shivering – we need to tax one to help the other

There should be a windfall tax on those producers together with measures that treat energy as an essential public good

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/energy-companies-fuel-poverty-b2007608.html

In the Netherlands the government a couple of months ago decreased the energy taxation and introduced financial help in regard to the poorer ones to help them deal with the spiking energy prices. 

1 hour ago, semente said:

With Governments being "run" by Capital and Big Corporations I don't see a chance of that happening in the temperate climate zones. Money only goes to war for profit, not in the interest of better living conditions for the populace.

Mentioned in the Guardian article I already linked to, research showed that the deep conviction of just 25% of society instigates wider environmental, political and social change, so let's continue, dear fellow mignons ;) our, like some call it, 'extremist, leftist, communist' propaganda :)

After the failure of Cop26, there’s only one last hope for our survival. By mobilising just 25% of people, we can flip social attitudes towards the climate.

Let's hope the war in Ukraine will not be accompanied by some environmental disaster.

Elon Musk said the US needs to increase its oil and gas output following Russia's invasion of Ukraine. "Hate to say it, but we need to increase oil & gas output immediately," Musk said in a tweet "Extraordinary times demand extraordinary measures."

7 minutes ago, semente said:

Yeah, especially if my profits are taking a hit... 🤬

Cheaper gas isn't a good thing for Tesla.

I'm not saying I agree with him or for that matter that I disagree, simply I don't think my knowledge is sufficient to judge the whole thing.

32 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Right now, electric vehicles, for the US is a non-starter. Need charging stations across the nation. California has them on US Rte 5 up and down the coast. but that is the only state. 

Until electric cars have ranges in the 500 miles or so AND can be fully charged in 5 minutes, they will remain a niche market. The other problem with the batteries are too heavy - liquid batteries. When they go solid state and the weight goes down, you may have a chance also.

The other way is alternative fuels. Cummings Diesel, in the US, has designed a hydrogen powered engine, that runs a generator that will power train locomotives. This is more viable.

I have stayed out of this discussion because I worked in biofuels research for 20 years or more.

I think the situation looks a little different in the Netherlands and in Europe in general. There are really surprisingly many hybrid cars, EVs and of course Tesla's which BTW are also made in the NL in an amazing factory in Tilburg (there are even tourist tours if the object). The charging stations network is already quite well developed. If you add to it popularity of small electric city cars and the fact that this is a relatively small country, you probably can get the picture. AFAIK it looks  very similar in Scandinavia. But these both areas (Benelux and Scandinavia) are traditionally countries advanced in ecological awareness. Most probably much more than 25% of the people are deeply convinced to environmental extremism..😉

6 hours ago, PYP said:

I don't have your knowledge of the energy sector and technology, but it seems to me that U.S. (and non-U.S.) car manufacturers have made a significant commitment to electric cars.

That's for sure.

6 hours ago, PYP said:

Whether that is the best path forward to reach a sustainable future is a different question

It's very far from enough. 

6 hours ago, PYP said:

Personally, I believe that hydrogen power is a good path and will be developed in tandem with electric systems.

Let's hope so!

6 hours ago, PYP said:

The Netherlands has already chosen it seems.  People power and bicycles.  What could be cleaner than that?

I am lucky - I like biking, I don't like walking. 

As for cleaner, don't know... we breath out CO2 after all...;) CO2 is also the result of smoking different herbs... Not sure these are such environmentally friendly things.. Not even mentioning the electricity necessary to grow herbs. Lots of it is actually stolen - some estimates speak about number of KWh's of those that could be compared to KWh's used by Utrecht - the 4th biggest city in the NL....:D

BTW every time I see this city EV I think it's pretty cool. The brand is Carver (does American Carver audio still exist? Their gear also looked cool.)

Carver – 🛵 Electric Moped Scooter 2022

11 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

@Priaptor  I'm not sure 'mignons' will want to talk to you, if I were one of them I wouldn't..

See.. I think I was right.. I guess some here are like me - they care not only about their wider environment but also about personal environment and avoid Summittoxicity in both situation. I guess this explains the fact that that you seem to be a record holder here as for the number of people keeping you on image.png.e43ca098b048a60fff7fc2b71ff20d30.png

Try to have a good day, anyway!

That is if you know what it means at all.. B|

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:
Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome.

If the shoe fits!!  LMAO. How many PMs are you guys involved in on this thread to validate each others "dysfunction". 

Audiodoc exposed the dysfunction, albeit, it was obvious without him validating its reality.

I think what I sense here is the frustration that no-one here wants to talk to you really, except from discussions like this one, I guess the situation in real life may be quite similar.

But you know - no-one really sane treats seriously people who understand very old books very literally, whether this the Bible or the US constitution. That's why Jehovah Witnesses and people like you are fortunately few. Life moves on every single day but holy books fundamentalists are stuck in their holy words.

Being stuck brings frustration (conscious or not) accumulation of frustration is a cause of toxicity.

No-one sane wants to deal with toxic, square headed people. The vicious circle closes. Amen.

Now, will you gentlemen (and doc Howie) excuse me please - this is an extremely interesting discussion but I gotta work on my Dutch a little (literally, not in metaphorical sense of practicing directness or straightforwardness).

so-very-dutch-dutch-directness-the-dutch-are-renowned-for-50957263.png

5 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

You may be right.

I'm not American but he appears to me to be better than the self-centered, sociopathic, Putin-loving thief, liar and rapist that came before him...

That was very Dutch, you're sure you don't live in the NL.? ;)

Just one remark, guys. Since the discussion here got waaay OT, how about a separate thread dedicated to its eventual continuation.?

Just upvote/disagree with this idea, please.

It's still possible to quote a post from another thread:

1. Open 'reply'

2. Go down with coursor clicking 'enter' once or twice (otherwise it's IME difficult to mark the quoted text)

3. Quote a post/its fragment

4. Mark the quoted post, cut and paste into a 'reply' space on another thread.

Then you can reply to it on a new thread. Piece of cake.

4 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Sphinxy

Why don't you just do that PRIVATE messaging thing you do to get people to act in the manner you WANT as we NOW KNOW how good you are at the PRIVATE messaging thing. 

Priapie

F...k off, I'm studing Dutch, have no time (to waste) for you this time :)