IGNORED

Value, lack there of, and "High End"

15 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Two comments on the above Bluesy post:

unlike driving a high buck exotic car, over-spending on an audio system won't kill you or others

also, I prefer ego-diatonic thoughts and feelings as they scale much better with respect to monetary input

I wonder if more people die form exotic cars or electrocution working on their electronic gear?  I don't think either is a big deal. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 hours ago, bluesman said:

It's not a biased sample.  In addition to being a competitor for decades, I was the race physician for Philly Region SCCA for about 20 years and for VSCCA and SVRA at multiple events from 1984 to 2000 - and I fished many a wealthy dilettante out of the wrecked exotic he had no business buying let alone driving in competition.  I pulled the same lawyer out of the same ex-Gurney GT-40 at Summit Point in '87 or '88 and the Grand Bahama Vintage grand Prix in '86. We had guys driving Allard J2Xs who couldn't handle a 948 bugeye.  One of my friends wrecked a gorgeous Turner in an end-over-end at Summit Point and his 944 on a local road - so he bought an E-type.  My wife's former dentist totalled his 944S in a "track event" at Watkins Glen.  And so forth and so on.

These guys also have great audio systems.......

Allard J2X.....now there's an easy car to drive..........hahahahha!

There is the thing a few years back about doctors and twin engine airplanes.  (Not a dig at you bluesman).  A flight instructor explained quite logically how mostly doctors had the money for them.  But those can be hard to fly especially if you have trouble.  And doctors are pressed for time and don't have time to become proficient.  So it was a cliche whenever a twin Beechcraft crashed to ask, " so which doctor was it?"

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 5/18/2019 at 5:39 PM, fas42 said:

Amen. The poor quality of the RCA interface is probably the number one killer of subjective quality in rigs; it doesn't take long to become aware of the general 'offness' of the sound, no matter how expensive the setup, caused by this feature - people live in a fantasy, that the priciness of everything surrounding a poor piece of implementation can somehow magically make up for its shortcomings - ummm ... the last time I checked, this idea doesn't go down too well in other fields of endeavour ...

Perhaps gold can be made to work. I tried this in the beginning, but it never held up; always audibly degrading over time. Genuine gastightness is the only method I've found to date that has sufficient integrity for worthwhile audio.

Too bad Camac/Lemo connectors didn't replace RCA's.  They are fairly simple and gas tight. Levinson used them on some gear at one time. 

58 minutes ago, lucretius said:

The gold plating is so thin and soft it quickly wears off.  Therefore, it's not good for constantly connecting/reconnecting. In that case, I'd take a nickel plated connector any day.

Or rhodium plating which is better than nickel I think.  Lots of pro cables are nickel plated for the added durability vs gold. 

16 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I like Type N connectors like this (but probably good for only unbalanced cables):

https://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/n-type.html

Yeah, those look good.  But they only work up to between 10 and 20 ghz.  They'll be totally insufficient for DSD 32,768 when it comes out in about 6 years.  :)

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Long term, high integrity gastightness is the key; soldering is the simplest, but least convenient solution, well done silver pastes, etc, application also works.

The ultimate solution is to have everything in one chassis; but that then introduces other concerns; vibration, adequare isolation and shileding  between electrical areas - and disrupts the audiophile's need to fiddle, :P.

Camac connectors were originally designed for instrumentation use in French Nuclear reactors. Gas tight, ground first, vibration resistant.  

Opportunity costs anyone?