IGNORED

Best Audiophile USB Card ?

58 minutes ago, wittao said:

We finished some weeks ago our first own developed USB card family’s first two pieces:

- USB P24

- USB P24 OCXO

I am planning to finalize on our webpage the USB card’s subpage.

Some parameters about the cards:

1. USB P24:

- 2pcs USB 3.0 port

- low profile bracket option

- normal bracket with external 24MHz clock input (miniXLR socket)

- 4pin molex inside PSU connection (5V@1A DC)

2. USB P24 OCXO:

- 2pcs USB 3.0 port

- low profile bracket option

- normal bracket with external 10MHz clock input (miniXLR socket)

- 4pin molex inside PSU connection (5V@1A DC)

- 24MHz VCTCXO in PLL with onboard 10MHz OCXO

Can order from 15th April.

If you need further information, please ask me.

Thanks,

Viktor

The prices (or approximates at this point) would be interesting to know and maybe a general designing and end product goals regarding the known top cards JCAT USB XE and Pink Faun USB Bridge Ultra OCXO.

With this miniXLR clock connection the cards seem to have designed use just with your devices transmitting clock on such plug though?

20 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Do they provide technical infornation anywhere on what makes this USB card so special? 

Thanks.

I am not the guy to answer on that and this is post is not to take anything from Taiko server or the card, but just thinking out loud as great as the stock extreme server is, it's usb out is "just" PC motherboard usb out. So I think it's no wonder to yield even better results applying dedicated USB card supplying the power directly. 

Actually I don't know if anyone has tested, would be interested to know if someone tried externally powered USB XE or Pink Faun USB Bridge on the Taiko Server and found Taikos motherboard USB output better?

(edit: if that is even possible to do on the server...?)

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

in my experience thus far the best USB card is none, I went from USB to SPDIF to I2S an find that less conversion is more. See if you can use I2S to feed your DAC,  I'm using the Pink Faun I2S OCXO and it really shines, going to upgrade to the ultra ocxo soon.

51 minutes ago, Nenon said:

That was my reference for quite some time - Pink Faun I2S with ultraOCXO. 

As the server, power supplies, etc. improve I found USB to sound better. This is still DAC dependent of course, but it has been my experience with multiple DACs now. No longer using I2S. 

Which lenght I2S cables did you guys use? In my case I think the biggest culprit on "whole I2S" would be distance between my PC and DAC. (which would be close to 1,5 meter)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mesonto said:

Someone please take this seriously. I am thinking of spending a few thousand to recreate my present Audirvana music streamer which as of now resides on a stripped down version of Win10 (only runs a few services and Audirvana), in a fanless case with an external audio grade power supply.

Saying this...

If I was to build another newer Windows PC to serve as my new FLAC and DSF server based on an ITX motherboard, and I output my files directly to my DAC which has a jitter reducer/master clock/etc., inside of it already, why would I need this special USB card as part of my new computer music server? Especially since the USB data is already error corrected and buffered. 

Just don't want to spend my money for a small percentage sound quality return.

However if one of these $500 cards would make such a difference I am willing to move forward with the many purchases I would need to create a new music streamer.

There is a lot of information here on forums about the cards and power supplies (linear ones especially). They do make a difference.

For example, the JCAT USB Femto (which I later upgraded to JCAT XE USB) is reviewed here

Some talk on JCAT forum: http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2189-jcat-usb-card-femto/

Someone more tech-savvy can go in depth of technical whys, but cleaner power and less computer sourced interference seem to matter in many types PC audio applications. 

In my humble humble opinion it's very important part of PC hifi and it just keeps getting better with good linear power supplies. Of course you need to draw the line somewhere budget wise but I would encourage to try those type of products. Some dealers / brands even might accept money back deal if asked nicely and you are very hesitant 🙂

You might find interesting stuff to read here too: 

• 7 months later...
23 minutes ago, internethandle said:

Thanks for the reply, logical that the clock board and the JCAT XE having synergy in your case might translate to synergy in my case, given that the same board is sort of the “heart” of the tx-USBultra.

Care to comment on how big a jump you felt it was from Femto to XE in terms of SQ?

Although I did not write notes on differences I recall noticing certain type of cleanness immediately even upon installing it vs the USB Femto. I recall the latter sounding more dense, in a thicker way and few steps lower on resolution. Burn-in took about a week, though  I recall Marcin recommended 200+ hours.

I would think to say if one looks to getting enthusiast improving digital source and unleashing potential on DAC side, USB XE is good to have. For enthusiasts with several thousands on gear it's a bargain move after selling USB Femto.

For one to have as first computer based audiophile product it can be a lot of money, though I share your opinion of motherboard USB out. On my system piano for example sounds just crap. Full of weird resonance/distortion. Heard that same effect on local fella's system with Rockna Wavedream DAC from his PC source.

• 1 year later...