IGNORED

Sound quality Windows 2016 Server vs Windows 10

Benno

Since the latest Roon update my single PC setup running AO / Roon / Tidal / HQP is not working anymore on Windows Server 2016.

Roon did not provide a solution so far.

The above mentioned combination does still work on Windows 10.

As a result I' ve to decide to step back to Windows 10 or stay on W2016S and remove HQP from the set up and upsample via Roon instead.

Would like to hear your opinion which option would resultaten in the best sound quality.

Thanks in advance,

Benno

One of the Windows 10 updates hosed the SQ for Roon Server late last year. The SQ was dreadful, bad timing meant sound stage collapsed, and the SQ was very grainy.

Tried Fidelizer, shutting various processes.. few things, difficult. Fidelizer tried but not the best like it was.

The Server previously had Win2016 installed, but was intimidated a little with the OS, so felt more at home with Win10, until the update forced the choice. Researched into Linux, enough to convince me that was too hard.

Bit the bullet and installed Win2016 again, this time with no multimedia extensions, DLNA media library, nothing, just a plain server. 

Roon 1.5 was great, SQ back again. 

When Roon updated to 1.6, the SQ was much the same as before with 1.5, but other operational nuisances remain unresolved to this day. The Roon message boards are full of complaints about 1.6.

I feel for @Benno with Roon not working on Win2016. Under 1.5, I tried HQ player, but it could not sync properly, and if rapid changes in music was selected, the thing fell over, so removed, and stuck with 'plain' Roon, which works really well.

I don't use Tidal, nor AO, so can't comment on that, tried Tidal, not for me, and AO just looks TOO HARD. Fidelizer works on Win2016, but it didn't make a difference, so it's removed.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA