IGNORED

Article: High-End Headphone Roundup: Meze Empyrean, Focal Utopia, Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC

I tried all the headphones on that list. Susvara is my favorite in terms of sound and fit. The Abyss wins in dynamics a little. The Susvara can also hit very hard and at the same time provide pinpoint imaging and clarity. The best of all, music never ever sounds digital. It's a very analogue experience. 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/23/2019 at 5:41 AM, Hugofrance said:

Thank you for your review.

Your work is really appreciated.

I stay with my HD 800 mod. Because there is really nothing new and groundbreaking available.

New stuff that could surpass the HD 800 mod is way too expensive for the added value.

There is - ADX5000.

See this review [translated from the German language] https://musicalhead.de/2017/12/17/test-audio-technica-ath-adx5000/

"

ADX5000 Vs. HD800S

Meanwhile, the PATHOS INPOL EAR has warmed up for 30 minutes and is now the first candidate to receive the SENNHEISER HD800S. In the further course I change after a few minutes of listening to the ADX5000, whereby I naturally use exactly the identical musical passages for the direct comparison.

The HD800S, the 9-year market presence in conjunction with the powerful Italian hybrid amplifier is not necessarily to be noted. The SENNHEISER plays very light-footed and dynamic on, in the meantime also provided with a slightly warmer note, which he has received in comparison to its direct predecessor. And the HD800S still fascinates with its outstandingly spacious stage presentation and formidable depth graduation. Especially with classical music, the SENNHEISER knows how to shine so emphatically.

However, it is already clear that the HD800S will probably not be the friend of the deepest notes in the further course of its existence. They are skipped as far as possible and concealed by a slightly raised mid-bass. As a result, the bass range is powerful at any time, but also minimally too bulky, which at the expense of precision.

The ADX5000 shows how to do it better after a quick change over. On the one hand, the AUDIO TECHNICA not only descends completely undaunted into the frequency cellar, it also maintains the individual bass ranges with equal intensity. Because he also comes up with a more accurate timing, he ultimately wins the bass rating quite clearly.

The SENNHEISER acts in the mid-tone range, in particular by the in the S-version minimal earthy tuned fundamental tone, very homogeneous and with a pleasantly warm tendency, as well as an altogether very transparent representation of the musical happenings.

But even in this frequency range, the HD800S has to beat the AUDIO TECHNICA more or less clearly. The ADX5000 simply records voices and instruments even more accurately, giving them more articulation and presence, placing them even sharper in the room.

The high-frequency range of the SENNHEISER HD800S pleases with a much gentler handling of sibilants compared to the HD800, although there is room for improvement here as well. Because now and then, the SENNHEISER still tends to sharpness. Of course, this does not change the still very good resolution of the dynamic headphone from German production.

The HD800S, however, also finds its master in the form of the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 in this frequency range. As you know, the better is always the greatest enemy of the good. And the sonic abilities of the SENNHEISER simply do not match the phenomenal high-tonal characteristics of the Japanese headphones.

Because the ADX5000 also has slightly audible advantages over the HD800S in terms of its spatial representation, especially with respect to a less spherical and thus IMO more realistic image of the soundstage, the AUDIO TECHNICA wins this comparison test, surprisingly surprising for me as well.

Here are the individual reviews of the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 in a nutshell:

BASS

Dust-dry, growling and fast bass with excellent contour sharpness. Convincing draft.

ROOT

Moderate and honest tone. Nevertheless it provides enough plasticity and a "purified" reproduction.

MITT ELTON

Outstanding audibility of the middle frequencies. Very good balance with neutral tones. High authenticity.

TREBLE

Phenomenal resolving power. Nuanced reproduction of even the finest details. An acoustic magnifier par Excellence.

three-dimensionality

Fantastic spatial representation. Excellent width and depth graduation. Credible reverberation flags.

DYNAMICS

Very good gross dynamics even at medium power. Explosive on powerful tube amplifiers. Superbe fine dynamic qualities.

My conclusion

The AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 beats its German adversary SENNHEISER HD800S in every tonal aspect and sustainably underpins its reference position among dynamic headphones. And even the comfort of wearing the HD800S against the ADX5000 can make up no points.

At a world-class amplifier such as the PATHOS INPOL EAR, the AUDIO TECHNICA shows its true potential and certainly operates at the level of absolute top-class electrostatic systems in terms of speed, clarity and resolving power. In addition, the bass range is reproduced with exceptional precision and consistency, especially for dynamic headphones, but the ADX5000 also sets new standards in the treble range.

Nevertheless, the AUDIO TECHNICA is certainly not the right choice for every lover of ear speakers. For example, the confident fans of the AUDEZE brand will most likely have too little "meat on the ribs" and may wish for a more opulent and full bodied presentation of their musical sweethearts.

Even owners of mobile HIGH END equipment denied the ADX5000 by its classically high impedance of 420 ohms and shows already on his 6.3 mm jack, which he basically holds by DAP. Only in conjunction with an adequate mobile enhancement, especially in symmetrical operation, the headphones can eventually move to an amicable sound cooperation.

All friends of a finely resolved sound image but might even find the fulfillment of their sonic dreams in the new AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000. Especially since the called price tag of 2,195, - € anmutet not particularly favorable, but not necessarily beyond any price framework.

Because its price is worth the AUDIO TECHNICA in the direct competitor environment IMO in each case. A thoroughly successful combination of perfect workmanship and ingenious sound. Elitic small series factories would probably take the price of this exceptional headset higher than the more conservative Japanese manufacturer given the musical qualities.

And in combination with a very good tube amplifier, such as the TRAFOMATIC HEAD2 or the FELIKS AUDIO EUFORIA, the ADX5000 plays with the conceptually pleasant timbre of this type of amplifier anyway directly into the heart of the interested. And then, of course, any further resistance is pointless.

The AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 is the sum of its sonic qualities in combination with a very good stationary headphone amplifier for me one of the best dynamic headphones in the world. And with it new test reference. Congratulations to the Japanese developers. Mission accomplished."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Fun read, and interesting music selections [one of the main reasons I read reviews is to discover new music]. Made me realize I should have Mrs. Vanderbilt, which I thoroughly enjoy, in my headphone test playlist. And it's funny, even with the Stax, the Susvara, the SR1a, etc., I still haven't stopped checking in on occasion with my HD800, flaws and all.

All the toys are in my profile.

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2019 at 3:30 PM, sszorin said:

There is - ADX5000.

See this review [translated from the German language] https://musicalhead.de/2017/12/17/test-audio-technica-ath-adx5000/

"

ADX5000 Vs. HD800S

Meanwhile, the PATHOS INPOL EAR has warmed up for 30 minutes and is now the first candidate to receive the SENNHEISER HD800S. In the further course I change after a few minutes of listening to the ADX5000, whereby I naturally use exactly the identical musical passages for the direct comparison.

The HD800S, the 9-year market presence in conjunction with the powerful Italian hybrid amplifier is not necessarily to be noted. The SENNHEISER plays very light-footed and dynamic on, in the meantime also provided with a slightly warmer note, which he has received in comparison to its direct predecessor. And the HD800S still fascinates with its outstandingly spacious stage presentation and formidable depth graduation. Especially with classical music, the SENNHEISER knows how to shine so emphatically.

However, it is already clear that the HD800S will probably not be the friend of the deepest notes in the further course of its existence. They are skipped as far as possible and concealed by a slightly raised mid-bass. As a result, the bass range is powerful at any time, but also minimally too bulky, which at the expense of precision.

The ADX5000 shows how to do it better after a quick change over. On the one hand, the AUDIO TECHNICA not only descends completely undaunted into the frequency cellar, it also maintains the individual bass ranges with equal intensity. Because he also comes up with a more accurate timing, he ultimately wins the bass rating quite clearly.

The SENNHEISER acts in the mid-tone range, in particular by the in the S-version minimal earthy tuned fundamental tone, very homogeneous and with a pleasantly warm tendency, as well as an altogether very transparent representation of the musical happenings.

But even in this frequency range, the HD800S has to beat the AUDIO TECHNICA more or less clearly. The ADX5000 simply records voices and instruments even more accurately, giving them more articulation and presence, placing them even sharper in the room.

The high-frequency range of the SENNHEISER HD800S pleases with a much gentler handling of sibilants compared to the HD800, although there is room for improvement here as well. Because now and then, the SENNHEISER still tends to sharpness. Of course, this does not change the still very good resolution of the dynamic headphone from German production.

The HD800S, however, also finds its master in the form of the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 in this frequency range. As you know, the better is always the greatest enemy of the good. And the sonic abilities of the SENNHEISER simply do not match the phenomenal high-tonal characteristics of the Japanese headphones.

Because the ADX5000 also has slightly audible advantages over the HD800S in terms of its spatial representation, especially with respect to a less spherical and thus IMO more realistic image of the soundstage, the AUDIO TECHNICA wins this comparison test, surprisingly surprising for me as well.

Here are the individual reviews of the AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 in a nutshell:

BASS

Dust-dry, growling and fast bass with excellent contour sharpness. Convincing draft.

ROOT

Moderate and honest tone. Nevertheless it provides enough plasticity and a "purified" reproduction.

MITT ELTON

Outstanding audibility of the middle frequencies. Very good balance with neutral tones. High authenticity.

TREBLE

Phenomenal resolving power. Nuanced reproduction of even the finest details. An acoustic magnifier par Excellence.

three-dimensionality

Fantastic spatial representation. Excellent width and depth graduation. Credible reverberation flags.

DYNAMICS

Very good gross dynamics even at medium power. Explosive on powerful tube amplifiers. Superbe fine dynamic qualities.

My conclusion

The AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 beats its German adversary SENNHEISER HD800S in every tonal aspect and sustainably underpins its reference position among dynamic headphones. And even the comfort of wearing the HD800S against the ADX5000 can make up no points.

At a world-class amplifier such as the PATHOS INPOL EAR, the AUDIO TECHNICA shows its true potential and certainly operates at the level of absolute top-class electrostatic systems in terms of speed, clarity and resolving power. In addition, the bass range is reproduced with exceptional precision and consistency, especially for dynamic headphones, but the ADX5000 also sets new standards in the treble range.

Nevertheless, the AUDIO TECHNICA is certainly not the right choice for every lover of ear speakers. For example, the confident fans of the AUDEZE brand will most likely have too little "meat on the ribs" and may wish for a more opulent and full bodied presentation of their musical sweethearts.

Even owners of mobile HIGH END equipment denied the ADX5000 by its classically high impedance of 420 ohms and shows already on his 6.3 mm jack, which he basically holds by DAP. Only in conjunction with an adequate mobile enhancement, especially in symmetrical operation, the headphones can eventually move to an amicable sound cooperation.

All friends of a finely resolved sound image but might even find the fulfillment of their sonic dreams in the new AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000. Especially since the called price tag of 2,195, - € anmutet not particularly favorable, but not necessarily beyond any price framework.

Because its price is worth the AUDIO TECHNICA in the direct competitor environment IMO in each case. A thoroughly successful combination of perfect workmanship and ingenious sound. Elitic small series factories would probably take the price of this exceptional headset higher than the more conservative Japanese manufacturer given the musical qualities.

And in combination with a very good tube amplifier, such as the TRAFOMATIC HEAD2 or the FELIKS AUDIO EUFORIA, the ADX5000 plays with the conceptually pleasant timbre of this type of amplifier anyway directly into the heart of the interested. And then, of course, any further resistance is pointless.

The AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-ADX5000 is the sum of its sonic qualities in combination with a very good stationary headphone amplifier for me one of the best dynamic headphones in the world. And with it new test reference. Congratulations to the Japanese developers. Mission accomplished."

Thanks for posting, I am looking an open headphone for classical and these ones seem like a good candidate. will do more research on them.