IGNORED

Article: Editorial: What's Wrong With You?

Some of you guys are tough with Christian (Rocketman); he's one of the nicest guys of the planet. Plus, he's in a brand new home now, new room and all.

He's an avid true audiophile explorer, on a journey that the majority of us can only dream of. 

And that is what I have to say about it. Chris is 100% right with this thread's intro. 

The support we give is the love we have. 

You tube is getting pretty good; 4K picture and decent sound rendition. Yeah I know, it's not analog from a record (vinyl) playing. Still, you can make music sound very good.

It's easy to dismiss, and it's easy not to. 

_____

Bonus (not for sound, not for picture, but for what's wrong, and right with us?)

53 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Bob, one can download the Opus version, which gives you full 20k bandwidth. Convert to WAV, and I doubt I would any problem 'fooling' people with the result, over a good rig.

Alright Frank, educate me please. ...Links & all.

I've got this for now:

• https://elfsight.com/blog/2017/06/requirements-uploading-video-youtube/

• https://superuser.com/questions/1049075/youtube-dl-download-opus-audio-or-aac-audio

From what I see and hear on YouTube (Music videos), they can be very high definition picture (HDR 4K, 6K, 8K) and very decent audio quality (lossy). 

The better the miking for home made music videos the better the playback quality and an idea of the room acoustics, short of being in that room, same for live music versus reproduced @ home from an ultra high end stereo sound system (regardless of price; what counts is the synergy between all components and the absence of noise from a pitch black background). 

...A quality pair of headphones monitoring. Some are excellent sounding, others are not. 

There is no absolute but I do understand the pros and cons; it can give us a decent idea, not the full idea, if you know what I'm saying. 

Anyway, that's the best we have short of time travel. Can we rely? It is highly depending. 

And not only from the sound quality but also from our interprétation (NeuroAnalyxis, PsychoAnalysis, Computational Brain Science, pshycoacoustic, influence of the transport system in a dedicated space quantum, ...all that jazz).

And of course in time when the ears have various differential dispositions.

Plus my ears and your ears and their ears are not equal. 

All is valid that is preferred and loved. There is no magic in sound reproduction, it's in the recording moment. 

I think, your mileage might vary, in my opinion, with a touch of humor and serious balance, nothing is written in stone tablets, I like Opera and all that classic jazz in small church avenues where joy is number one entrée du jour, I don't mind @ all a strip club for both women and men, with pool tables and a swimming pool underneath the main soundstage, or driving the Autobhan aboard a Bugatti (burgundy color with sprinkles of lights on the lower edges). 

Alert: There's a decent dose of humor in my post; all in order to pacify any deviating minds from the road ahead (Autobahn, without speed restriction). 

But YouTube is not bad @ all, better and better with people getting the pro hang of it. 

It's very hard to make an accurate assessment when evaluating a music recording from a YouTube video...it is only as good as the microphone positioning quality. But it can be done, and the better the setup the better the end results.

14 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Very nice! It's getting so many things right - and I especially like the fleeting phantom of the owner in the reflection on the speaker, :).

My main quibble would be the piano; the transient hit of the right hand in the solo section is not quite there - but otherwise ...

Hey thanks Frank. And sure enough, a piano is a very tough musical instrument (my favorite by the way, after the human voice) to reproduce accurately from a hi-fi stereo sound system. It is in fact . . . impossible. 

Sure, you can do the "spooky test" of walking around to adjacent rooms with French doors open, and listen from there...the library/study room or the master bedroom or the solarium. 

___

* Take all the time needed for the four others; the musical pieces are worthy all by themselves...the performances from the quality vinyl recordings. 

** I prefer the new website's name: Audiophile Style.

It is more universally expanded that just Computer Audiophile.

IMHO

5 minutes ago, STC said:

Read this many times. Harbeth espoused vocal accuracy to sell their speakers. Until now, I am unable to find scientific papers to support this. 

Some of the best speaker designers use the human voice to tune, fine-tune, voice their masterpieces. I would have love to grow up in my home with Opera singers. 

1 hour ago, STC said:

I usually don’t comment on this except that I have seen some with good system ruining their enjoyment just because they could never get the vocal correct. 

Two questions if I may ...

1. Why don't you usually comment on this?

2. And what would be the main reason(s) some audiophiles could not get the vocals correct? 

Sing in your room in front of a quality microphone recording your voice on an open-reel-tape machine, and carefully calibrate and adjust (meters levels) by a professional sound mixing/recordinb engineer (a friend or hire one). Use that tape recording to fine-tune your sound reproduction system in that same room. Listen to the speakers that best closely match the tape recording. 

Then start expanding...Chorals, Operas, Chamber quartets, Synthesizers, Electronics, Jazz, Big Bands, Orchestral, Symphonies, ...

Experiment with subwoofer's matching, or full range loudspeakers.

Each room has the ideal volume level for each music genre recording. 

And each room sounds best with some genres than others...small, medium or large. 

The physics guide us on the style of music. 

That is my opinion and is highly subject to abstract and object and further classification...clarification...discussion...analysis...all that jazz.

Who am I? A people from Earth.

What's wrong with me? Nothing, absolutely nothing. 

Science is the theorizing of further advancements. We know what relativity and singularity and synchronicity mean. We even now have a picture of a black hole. 

The what is wrong with you much more applied to people who want to dictate and control the power based on non-scientific facts, like climate change and 5G for example. Listening to music while intoxicated by carbonic vapors and radioactive waves is not healthy for the brain and heart of a man, woman and child. 

That's what's wrong with us; cardiovascular hyper depression. 

Finland, we should take example from them...5.5 million people, happiest of the planet. 

46 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ummm, wrong, Bob. Done this oodles of time - sense of the instrument completely hits the mark, even standing only inches from an individual speaker ... it's nailing the transient hit of the key; and the sound, yes, "floats" out into the room - would have no trouble fooling someone on the other side of a curtain.

The piano sound works everywhere ... a nice reference point: a young chap next door lets rip on a  Yamaha Grand; on the tricky sonatas, etc - just pop my head outside to soak it up a bit, ^_^ ...

I want them speakers, that system setup, that matching synergy, that magik musik trick.

Can I? 🤹‍♂️

Is it available from a music server, a CD player, a turntable, a tape machine deck, a computer? 

49 minutes ago, fas42 said:

In the same area as the earlier Tchaikovsky clip - plenty going right, but the edginess is far too intrusive, there is a "cutting" quality to the SQ ... a good round of solid tweaking is needed, to eliminate that quality from the playback.

This one contains noise contamination on the recording (vinyl) itself.

You know the tune Frank; noise in, noise ... or you cut the music from its main essence. 

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Nope, the "noise contamination" is from the playback chain - I've been here so many times, and one can always "denoise" what you hear - at times it's staggering how impressively "miserable" recordings can come across; eg., needle drops from ancient shellac emerge doing high kicks - "rescuing" unlikely recordings is part of the fun ...

Here's what the owner had to say about that one (post #140 from the previous page):

"Here is a mono Kogan album, Russian label, come in two vinyls one on Brahms and the other on Lalo. I like Kondrashin for conductor. Imo, it is a good buy. Live recording in 1959 gives special feeling. I have quite a few albums from this Russian Melodiya. Many of them are quite good. This particular album has more surface noise than audiophile vinyl though. The coughing and some weird noises are from the recording."

4 minutes ago, STC said:

And how do i apply this to what you suggested earlier?  Do I also capture the ambiance or just the vocal alone since I am using the recording to check the speaker’s accuracy?

If you want the most accurate vocals reproduced by a mechanical loudspeaker, do you also want the room ambiance with it?

Do you want a singer recorded live in the room or in a booth? We're talking real live vocals here in the room where your stereo speakers are reproducing the music playing, the vocals. Your room is part of the chain. 

Invite a friend professional singer in the room where you listen to music. Ask her to sing and record her with a condenser mic with large diaphragm cardioid pickup pattern.