IGNORED

HDCD feedback and information thread

The Pacific Micrsonics units allow for a number of HDCD features to be turned on or off during production. Some are "transient filters" aka a primitive version of MQA's claimed filtering, whereby the HDCD music file tells the HDCD-capable playback device what filter to apply based on how the file was encoded during production.

IMHO this is a useless feature. The only really useful/audible feature is Peak Extend, as noted above in this thread.

Not a whole lot of HDCDs are encoded with Peak Extend. The big notable ones are much of the Grateful Dead and Neil Young catalogues. If you don't have those, then you're likely to have a very small number of Peak Extend-enabled HDCD discs in your collection.

An HDCD can be ripped and then post-processed (also as noted earlier in the thread) to decode the HDCD content. The decoded HDCD stream is actually only 20-bit, but since that's an oddball bit-depth, the processing software always pads it out with 4 bits' worth of zeros, to produce a 24-bit file that can be played back pretty much any DAC.

All of this illustrates why HDCD is not very compelling technology. All that hassle for just 4 extra bits of bit-depth doesn't seem worth it - especially since exactly zero HDCDs with Peak Extend have musical content whose dynamic range exceeds the 96dB range of normal 16-bit CD. So what Peak Extend really did was enable engineers to peak-limit the mastering, because HDCD allowed the limited peaks to be recovered. If they just mastered the content at the proper volume to begin with, they wouldn't have needed to limit the peaks in the first place.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I actually have a lot of HDCDs that have the Peak Extend feature enabled. This thread is not really about if it's worth it or not. The fact is that the content exists and needs to be dealt with properly in a collection.   

Well, how worthwhile it is on balance, given the overall number of HDCDs with Peak Extend on the market, is on-topic for a thread whose title includes the phrase "HDCD feedback."

But putting that aside for a moment, my comment clarified the bit-depth of the decoded HDCD stream, and that is substantive information. 

41 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Again, that is not the purpose of this discussion. However many there are on the market they exist and I'm looking for comments...do you like them or not and under what circumstances. 

I didn't take exception to your comments on the technical aspects. 

Your first post asked, "what is your experience with it?" My comment was responsive to that. If you really want to keep going back and forth about what's on-topic, we can do that, but it seems beside the point. I certainly agree an HDCD thread is useful, and I'm glad you started one.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I have successfully ripped all my few (3 Mark Knopfler albums in total) HDCD encoded CDs into 24-bit AIFF using dbPoweramp and the HDCD decoder plugin. The plugin's gain setting just works exactly opposite way than what at least I understand from the description. So check the results afterwards in Audacity for correctness, that you don't get extra clipping! I needed to do the ripping twice because of this.

Interesting - I've never used the dbPoweramp/HDCD plugin combo. I've only used hdcd.exe in command line mode (in a Windows emulator on my Mac).

If I understand your comment correctly, it sounds like the HDCD plugin restored the limited peaks, but did not perform the accompanying - and necessary - reduction in overall gain (aka makeup gain) of the waveform. resulting in all those peaks going into clipping. Is that right? If so, I find that a little strange - to my knowledge, hdcd.exe automatically applies makeup gain (or I should say makeup attenuation) of 6dB to compensate for the louder peaks that occur when the full peaks are restored during HDCD decoding. I'd always assumed that this was just a hard-wired (so to speak) part of the HDCD spec and that any hardware or software HDCD decoder would properly adjust the gain as a matter of course.

So if you did it twice, it sounds like the 2nd time you changed a setting in the decoder plugin, to make it perform the gain reduction so the restored peaks would all be below digital max aka 0.0 and avoid clipping - yes?