IGNORED

-30% on many Isabelle Faust albums at Qobuz

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/search?q=isabelle-faust-campaign-march-2019

Unfortunately these discounts don't cumulate with the Sublime discount, but if you're a regular Studio subscriber or not subscribe at all, you can pretty much buy any of these without hesitation (with the exception of the Mendelssohn concerto).

If it weren't for the atrocious sound of most Harmonia Mundi recordings, I'd be getting a few... 😥

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Dvorak's "Dumky" Trio is a great recording with Faust.  I say that as one who generally dislikes her modern, anti-romantic style on other recordings.  (I didn’t check whether the Dvorak is included in the sale.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

5 hours ago, semente said:

If it weren't for the atrocious sound of most Harmonia Mundi recordings, I'd be getting a few.

What do you dislike about their sound?

I often find them to have a rolled-off, almost muffled, treble, but I thought my view was in the minority.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

32 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

What do you dislike about their sound?

I often find them to have a rolled-off, almost muffled, treble, but I thought my view was in the minority.

I’m also not too unhappy with Harmonia Mundi in general, and don’t have any issues with most of Faust’s recordings. 

Ok we’re not talking Channel Classics or Reference recordings, but they are good enough for me. 

Plus I’d take good playing over good sound pretty much every time. 

33 minutes ago, semente said:

Violins just sound terrible

Can you describe?  I'm genuinely curious.

Now that I think about it, I'm generally quite happy with the sound of their recordings of chamber music and vocalists.  It's only their orchestral recordings that sound muted.

(In any event, like Musicophile, performance is much more important than audio quality to me.)

I fully agree that performance is of primary importance but recording sound does contribute to our enjoyment of the music.  I also agree that recordings made b Channel Classics and reference Recordings are in general better in sound than Harmonia Mundi, particularly in orchestral recordings.  I would also say that BIS also is excellent in its recordings.  However, I must say I was very impressed both by the performance and recording of Faust's latest Bach Violin Concertos highly recommended by Musicophile,   Semente, listen to the recording and be amazed.