IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 hours ago, davide256 said:

There are differences from the default HQpe images... different GUI ID and password, no CLI access because Euphony has that locked down. Thank goodness Euphony

no longer tries to set HQPe config parameters within Stylus GUI as it did with v3. And if you support an integration, one can't just blindly update as  3rd party updates occur,

actual regression testing required just to make sure a change didn't break an assumption behind the coded software integration.

Thanks for the info.  Sounds pretty standard for software integration and updating. Nothing that can't be handled in a couple weeks.  Yes, the v3 config for HQPe was never stable. I always went into HQPe directly for that.

Two key factors which make me question Euphony's commitment to HQP.  In their release of v4 Euphony did not include a more current version.  Euphony did include their own upsampling and filtering that is tied to Mozzaik, also offering licensing to Mozzaik.  This is direct competition to HQP.

My gut tells me Euphony is partnering with Mozzaik for the future, not Jussi and HQP.  There's a song and dance going on to not upset customers.  Just a hunch and I'd like to be proven wrong.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't really know much about Euphony, so I cannot comment on that respect.

11 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Ok, I only ask because one of the 2 people running it said: "Recently it is a problem to maintain this software on our system, and we are discussing this with Jussi."

@Miska Euphony's latest response to me was "it not our issue. It is HQPe integration issue. So we need to wait for Jussi."

If you aren't working with those at Euphony then I'm not sure what's going on.  I'm going to stop stirring the pot and hope that you both are working together.

Thanks for your help as always

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/9/2023 at 10:20 AM, brucew said:

How do I access BIOS/UEFI on a Euphony Stylus installation? The OS SSD was newly partitioned and formatted for this NUC (5i5) and Stylus has been installed, but F2 does not work at boot up, nor do F10, Del, or Esc. It just goes on to boot up in Euphony. I'd like to see/adjust the Hyperthreading/Turbo.

Also, all the posts I can find on Core isolation seem to be for CPU's offering 8-12 cores, but no recommends for only 4 cores. (I'm not using DSD, Roon, HQPlayer etc., just Stylus playing 24/96 max with no upsampling.)

I would spam F2 as soon as you power on the NUC. Sometimes the OS loading screen come up pretty fast. Try it many times. I would be surprised if you couldn't access the BIOS that way. Installing Windows shouldn't be necessary. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, davide256 said:

In the FWIW column I've decided to move on from Euphony. For some time now its been a mixed blessing, great transient cues, nice mid range timbre.

But with the DAC's I have at hand the treble region with massed instruments becomes inchoate, the sort of defect that makes you avoid Tchaikowsky pieces,.

HQPe v4 with DSD up-sampling has proven much more enjoyable and Audirvana Studio as player feeding HQPe has proven more stable/reliable with

a much lower annual subscription cost.

When you said inchoate is that what you meant or incoherent? I've found that with Euphony, sometimes the sound of instruments can get smeared. A euphonic blend so to speak instead of defined clarity. 

8 hours ago, davide256 said:

inchoate = partially formed. Massed high strings sound like a bright blob, no inner resolution  that allows you to distinguish it is multiple instruments. And a touch of digititus

that makes playing the piece unpleasant. Smear is a reasonable description, where you can make out the intended structure  but the resolution

is like a cheap copy of a Waterford crystal, chromatically wrong, rounded edges.

I do wonder if some of this is from sub $1k DAC  limitations for PCM treble D-A artifact filters. And this is using NOS mode for

Stylus, haven't liked the built in Stylus up-sampling options

It's not the DAC. My Holo May in NOS with HQPlayer exhibits the same characteristics. Euphony didn't always sound this way.