IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

Hello,

since the Weekend i had a closer look on the new Euphony V3. I am using 2 NUC7i7DNHE and daphile  Client/Server before. Euphony V3 ist a real big step in sq. euphony makes thinks simplier. i just need one nuc7i7 to have a better result than 2 nuc´s before. The Stylus Player makes a real good Job. i was using embedded hq-player with different results. it depends on the song if the Stylus upsampling or the hq-player upsampling is more plesant. After that i tried euphony as core and roon (1 step) without hqplayer - first with only one nuc. In most cases i liked the roon Performance with euphony core. But in that Situation were everything is new, we had a look at the latest volumio for x86. volumio in the lates Version is not that far away from euphony - worth a try! at the Moment, there is no way back to daphile!

-Pro Daphile: free - good implementation of qobuz/tidal e.g.

- pro euphony - big step upwards in sq - easy to use, readys in 5 minutes - damned good Stylus Player, hqplayer embedded, roon - qobuz is possible but euphony really need to make that better! 

- pro roon (with euphony core)  - pleasant way  - good qobuz implementation but i dont like that i dont have direct Access to the Music Folder structure

- pro volumio: free ( qobuz 3€/month), fast and easy Installation, Sound: close to euphony, really good qobuz implementation

best,

sunny

13 hours ago, bobfa said:

I was only using the Stylus player for a few days.  I went right to a quick A/B with Roon and stayed there.  

Hello Bobfa,

i did the same. the conclusion, which operating System is the best is allways connected to the Hardware you use. I liked the way roon did his Job. for me euphony core and roon was the best sounding way, but...

what i really dont´t like is the structure of roon. i want to look at the Folders (sometimes). Thats not possible. roon had a perfect implementation of qobuz, which i use for Streaming. If i compare that Point in euphony... omg, ist not really not good. perfect in this Point is volumio, roon and daphile.

at the Moment i am comparing Euphony and Volumio. 51% Euphony and 49% Volumio at the Moment. Roon is out becouse of the Price and the missing Folder structure. for the roon-Price i can buy a reference-clock... and imho i have a better benefit for the Money...

regards

sunny

9 minutes ago, kravi4ka said:

What type of SSD would you guys recommend for my NUC7i7DNBE to use in a single computer setup with Euphony OS? Something in the 1TB range? TIA

I don't understand in matter of sq, why to use a ssd?  Internal harddrive (hdd, ssd) with internal power suppy and connected to sata is a no-go also. If you spend so much money for a nuc7i7... Spend a bit more for external hdd and seperate power supply. You will never reach the top of what is possible, if you connect it to the internal heaters.

Kind regards

Sunny

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Joerg D said:

There is a new Update today.

My Update was from yesterday, has someone the Update from today ?

Jörg

Yes, i had some serious Problems with the first Update, it crashed my image. The ultrafast Support made a new Image very fast. In some cases the first  Update did not work.

In my setup i prefer the actual Version. Its more realistic with a more detailed sound. Precise Bass. Maybe it depends on the setup.

Don't forget to make a backup image before you start the update. That is something that has nothing to do with Euphony.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, image is loading without Problems. My cm6631a is connected, but not playing. Looks like there are some nice Features on V4... if it might run. My Streamer based on a Single code AMD G-T44R that sounds fantastic until now seems to have not enough Power for V4. V3 is realy good. Hope the amound of Bugs are getting lower ..

Found a xmos based dac. Uts running with it, but the sq is far away from V3 until now. The deepth seems to be much over the top. Sounds strange. I let it run the night and guve it a chance tomorrow again.

Regards

Sunny

Hi,

I did a complete Installation yesterday. And the Update to beta 528 too. Xmos based dac was playing until i rebooted in ramroot mode. Its not playing in ramroot and not playing after I switched back to normal boot. So I think i stop at this point and wait for the next beta. I realy like the new App control.

Kind regards

Sunny

After 529 update same problem as before. I2S Card cm6631a is active but not playing.  in ramroot and in normal mode... nothing.

Cant switch back to working 528.. only 527 is possible...

Realy strange: the xmos dac is running in normal Mode but not in ramroot.

So allways keep in mind, save the last working Image on your PC before you click on a Update Button 😉.

Regards

Sunny

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, davide256 said:

The main reason to go to v4 is for newer device compatibility...  as an example v3 doesn't recognize the ethernet port hardware for my 11 series NUC.

Hi, the usage of a small e.g. Ugreen USB to ethernet Adapter (~15Euro on Amazon) is a cheap step up in S.Q for your NUC, even if you ethernet Chip is supported or not.

Regards

Sunny

6 hours ago, Yiakubou said:

I could not resist and had to test this as it's a small investment and because I do not understand why an external adapter would be better than an onboard chip. I purchased this exact Ugreen USB to ethernet adapter and... I'm not hearing any difference with my setup 🙃

However, the money is not completely wasted as by adding this adapter to the system and at the same time disabling the on-board LAN in BIOS, this changed my HW fingerprint, therefore had to register again and with that I get fresh 30 days of free trial lol. At the end the price for this adapter may be similar as 1 month of subscription 😉

Hi,

everything depends on your System.  There are two big advantages for that small usb/ethernet Adapter. One thing is that its a small gadget, that helps in case of playing around wirh many hifi Software like daphile, volumio, Windows and euphony on the same Hardware. All of the mentioned have a driver for the ugreen chip (especially the linux support is the important thing) . It makes switching between these very easy. You can allways be sure, one of the mentioned above is not supporting your ethernet chip. This is what i learned the last 8 years.

But there is one thing i forgot, the usb2 chip inside sounds better than the usb3.

But that is not the point. The most advantage is the possibility without that much work, to open the small usb cable and power the adapter with external clean 5V. So you keep the noise out of your pc, nuc, what how ever, out of the 2 clocks thats inside of the usb/ethernet Adapter.

Cut the 5V vcc line, leave gnd still connected and add external gnd and external vcc towards the adapter. You don't have it so easy to power your internal ethernet seperatly. And this is one thing, i dont want to miss anymore for years now.

If you get allways one more month, we should think about buying 24 ...for the next 2 years. maybe  cheaper 🤣

Best, sunny