IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

1 hour ago, kennyb123 said:

The Jameco LPS do a nice job for the price.  I would suggest though that you stock a spare or two.  I had them powering a pair of FMCs... I've had three of these fail after about two years of use.  What was weird was that they continued to send power to the FMC, but not enough to get the FMC to function.  I first assumed the FMC failed but the replacement had the same problem.  I ended up going back to the stock SMPS as my hope is I can ditch the TP-LINK FMCs once the EtherRegen finally ships - or potentially replace them with OMs.

Thanks for your comments.

I've been using the Jameco LPS walWarts to power my TP-Link FMCs for 3 years and haven't had an issue at all. Guess that I'm lucky. But your advice here to test with a new supply before replacing the FMCs is excellent and well-taken, - if they should die. My first priority would be to get the opticalRendu, - then from there, - it's going to be a really tough decision between an optical module or the etherRegen. Thanks again....

1 hour ago, Dasign said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I can build my own Y-splitter using silver cable and Oyaide connectors.

Keep the ultraRendu powered by the LPS1.2. 

Use the Jameco 5v Linear or pick up an R-core Linear power supply from EBay to power the opticalModule.

4 hours ago, CJH said:

Sorry, my mistake (wishful thinking) I have a microRendu that only accepts 10/100. So I guess the oM won't work for me.

CJH

???

Sorry, - but how is that possible? It is my understanding that all microRendu's have 10/100/1000 NICs in them. I've never used a Sonore product with anything but gigabit.....

On 6/21/2019 at 2:47 PM, thyname said:

I got my opticalModule bundle today (dual oM with dual SGC 5V LPSs). Thanks Jesus!

My Server / Streamer is Innuos ZENith MK3.

I had a pair of TPLinks powered by SOtM sPS-1000 before.

For you folks standing on sidelines, these work! Significant improvement compared to TPLinks! Not exaggerating! It’s like I bought a new streamer. Right off the bat, I am experiencing a much darker background, and a very nice timbre. 

Hi,

Thank you very much for both pics and also report! From someone who's been running 2 TP-Links, - this is a very valuable post indeed....

Cheers,

On 6/22/2019 at 7:47 PM, charlesphoto said:

Yes, Virginia, cable changes are real....

New Ghent Neotech 18g solid JSSG 12" cable arrived for the HDPLEX100>opticalModule (nearest microRendu). First plug-in was a bit of the eww, buyers remorse moment, with bloaty bass etc. 24 hours in it's all good, nay, pretty great.It didn't add any more detail or clarity per se, just took what was already there and made it bigger and more musical. Previously using one of those generic Chinese braided silver teflon cables that come with the cheap LPS. Well made but not on the same level. If you haven't gone solid (and short) you should. :) Makes for a big sound with lots of depth. Amazing just how much difference the oM makes, and how power and cabling affect it. 

Thank you!

Disregard the below.... So easy to just figure it out once on Ghent website.....

"Can you post a link to this Ghent cable?"

Cheers,

On 6/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, vortecjr said:

I had to look it up:) I found this on a quick search. BTW I’m not making any claims.

AGC Chemicals Fluorocompounds Group, Exton, Penn., has introduced fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) foam concentrates to its portfolio of FEP melt processable compounds for LAN and coaxial cable insulation. When coated with foamed insulation produced from Fluon FEP concentrates, cables reportedly demonstrate minimal distortion and signal loss, and improved high-speed data transmission.” 

It also makes for an excellent toothpaste: but it does make one sleepy and listless out of the tap......

On 3/9/2019 at 6:01 AM, vortecjr said:

The Sonore opticalModule is a bi-directional fiber media converter or FMC. The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver on one side and an RJ45 connector on the other side. The unit can be used to add fiber-optic networking to your existing wired network or convert your existing fiber optic network to a wired network. The unit can be used with a microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, Signature Rendu series (ethernet or optical), or any other network endpoint.

FEATURES

1. High-quality low noise linear regulator
2. External power input jack
3. RJ45 input connector
4. Fixed frequency ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator
5. Includes one SFP fiber optic transceiver
6. Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +)
7. Power input: 5-9 VDC
8. Dimension: 3.5"x2.2"x.7"

Hi folks,

I am going to buy an optical module and (in a few months an opticalRendu). I am currently a happy ultraRendu user who has been running fiber with 2 TP-Link FMCs and LPSs. I am looking for opinions about where to place the new OM. Since I also have to buy the SC to LC cable - (i run SC to SC now), - I don't EXACTLY need to know in advance, - but I have surface mount panduit that hides my cables going from NAS/Switch room to Audio room. (So the LC end needs to go with the OM).

What this means is that I'm looking for advice from folks who may have deployed one OM and am wondering if it would be better on the audio rack as the receiver to the UR or better at the NAS as a sender?

Obviously I am not going to buy 2 OMs as I'm getting an OR; but am just curious. My guess is that since the OM has a special clock, - that it'd be better as a receiver.  Interested in hearing only from folks who've some experience with the OM, and fiber, - and/or from Sonore.

Thanks in advance....

1 hour ago, JohnSwenson said:

Definitely have the opticalModule Ethernet connected to the ultraRendu, run one of the FMCs over optical to the opticalModule. This is much better sounding than the other way around. Of course this needs the SC to LC fiber cable.

When you get the opticalRendu you will need a LC to LC fiber cable.

John S.

John, Thank you! Appreciate it. (yes, - I knew that I would need to buy a 3rd [LC to LC] fiber cable once the opticalRendu is bought).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Purchased one OM and got it hooked up today.  It replaced my Trendnet TFC-1000MGA.  Basically just replaced the Trendnet (plug n play) with the OM.

All I get is studdering (won't play for .5 sec) see sig for my gear/setup.  I'm using two identical FMC's = Cisco glc-sx-mm

OM is powered by Jameco reliapro 5W, 5V, 1 Amp from the Trendnet.

Switch is a TP-Link TL-SG2216 (flow control enabled on ports) => Fiber comes from TL-SG2216 switch (laundry room) to listening room and the OM gets the fiber and then a short 8" Ethernet cable to mU in audio rack

If this is the same issue with the TP-Link FMC's => mU / endpoints wouldn't run very well using GB optical speed or something like that and Chris/Jabbor recommended using a dumb 10/100 switch, which solved the issue for many.  Thus the Trendnet FMC which is a 10/100/1000 FMC and has worked beautifully without issue since adopting that.  Not one issue.

Was seriously considering a OR after getting a OM going and not sure if this is a mU issue, but if one has to use an additional dumb switch in between OM and mU (in audio rack in my instance) I would be against that for obvious reasons.  I did however do that exact thing as a test => Prosafe GS105 5 port GB dumb switch.  Solved the issue. 

Ideas?

Hiya

Do I understand correctly that you're feeding the OM directly from the TL-SG2216 switch in the laundry room? If so, - did you try rebooting the OM and then immediately after rebooting the TL-SG2216? Then, - restart that MRendu? This has been my process, - and almost always fixes either no connectivity, - or spitting....

Cheers,

On 3/9/2019 at 6:01 AM, vortecjr said:

260907790_ScreenShot2019-06-02at12_24_31PM.png.a5c518a96cbf2b92e465a53e3cf2dc7f.png

The Sonore opticalModule is a bi-directional fiber media converter or FMC. The opticalModule has an SFP fiber optic transceiver on one side and an RJ45 connector on the other side. The unit can be used to add fiber-optic networking to your existing wired network or convert your existing fiber optic network to a wired network. The unit can be used with a microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, Signature Rendu series (ethernet or optical), or any other network endpoint.

FEATURES

1. High-quality low noise linear regulator
2. External power input jack
3. RJ45 input connector
4. Fixed frequency ultra low jitter FEMTO oscillator
5. Includes one SFP fiber optic transceiver
6. Power connector: 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center +)
7. Power input: 5-9 VDC
8. Dimension: 3.5"x2.2"x.7"

Fiber Optic Cable - OM1 - Multimode (62.5/125) - Duplex - LC to LC

You can buy this product on amazon.com here:

https://amzn.to/2Tl9L0q

Hi Jesus,

I have an issue getting my new Optical Module working with my ultra Rendu. For a few years, - I've been successfully running Fiber from my switch where my NAS is in the other room with two TP-Link MC200cm (gigabit) fiber FMCs.

I bought the OModule and tried an LC to SC OM 5 cable and that didn't work. So, - I just recently took delivery of an OM-1 multimode fiber cable and that didn't work either. 

Then i upgraded my ultraRendu to the latest OS update, 2.7 and that didn't work either.

Then I switched A-B connectors on the LC cable side of the opticalModule and that didn't work either. (I also tried rebooting the ultraRendu several times. I also tried using the opticalModule as the "sender" at my switch/NAS and that didn't work either.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is SC to LC fiber just not compatible with the opticalModule?

After putting the MC200cm's back into play again, the ultraRendu worked immediately and brilliantly.

I don't want to buy another opticalMOdule as I want to get an opticalRendu eventually... Is it possible that the SFP cage is somehow bad on the optModule? The lever/bar on the SFP has to come around over the top of the connection: right? 

Any help or advice would be appreciated, - and/or maybe others may benefit from my mistake, or to further elucidate any compatibility issues.

Thanks in advance.   Cheers,

9 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I think your problem is the MC200cm. It says it is 10/100/1000 capable, which requires auto-negotiation, BUT the fiber protocol the oM uses is JUST 1000 only, it cannot auto-negotiate. This makes me think that TP-Link device is using an incompatible fiber protocol.

John S.

Hi John,

Thanks for taking a moment to write. Really appreciate you taking the time. 

Cheers,

5 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Did you try setting the MC200CM switch to Auto instead of Force? I replaced two MC200CM's with two oM's feeding my uR and everything worked and sounded great. John is probably correct that the two different units are not compatible. Try a second oM, you have 30 days to return it. The oM really is a better unit than the TP-Link one.

@Axiom05, - thank you very much for taking the time to answer. What a great suggestion, - and now i feel most stupid for not thinking about it. I'll give that a go, - and report back. I think that I remember setting them to "FORCE" when I first installed them. 

Cheers,

7 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Did you try setting the MC200CM switch to Auto instead of Force? I replaced two MC200CM's with two oM's feeding my uR and everything worked and sounded great. John is probably correct that the two different units are not compatible. Try a second oM, you have 30 days to return it. The oM really is a better unit than the TP-Link one.

Hi @Axiom05

thank you again. That totally worked! The MC220cm IS compatible with the opticalModule. (First I had to switch the A/B LC connectors back to the way they were, and restart LMS, the ultraRendu and both FMCs. But, - now I am up and running. Thanks again for all of your help. Initial first impressions are that the opticalModule on the ultraRendu side is "better than the TP-Link.

Cheers,

• 6 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 4:08 PM, thuandb said:

Thanks for the info.  I've tried both (Sonore's multi mode transceivers/cable and Planet-USA single mode transceivers/matching cable) and like both with the same LPSUs feeding the OMs.  Ultimately preferred the single mode gear, but the multi mode combo is pretty good anyway.

Hi folks...

I have an ultraRendu and an OM feeding it. Picked up a new Cisco 2960C LL switch with 2 SFP slots. (Wanted to replace my TP-Link FMC at the switch).

Just an FYI for those running Cisco switches, - they really like to see Cisco SFPs in their transceiver slots. I picked up a Sonore gigabit Transceiver and it didn't work in the Cisco. (Although it is my understanding that one can get into the Cisco management app/console and install a non-Cisco SFP). Anyway,- after buying a cheap, used, Cisco branded SFP, - I connected fine to my OM on the audio rack. (GLC brand SFPs, OEM Cisco, - work fine also).

Please do not take my post as advocating that anyone not follow System Optique comprehensive fiber system, or that System Optique is not super cool! OR that Sonore somehow doesn't rock the party, - because Sonore certainly rocks the party!!

Cheers,