IGNORED

My Favorite Album Covers / Artwork

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Not really. It was considered acceptably cool and risque. Was displayed in supermarkets and drugstores and no one got upset.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/features/7370623/herb-alpert-whipped-cream-other-delights-story-behind-album-cover-50-years-later

Herb Alpert does not agree.

An excerpt:

“My first reaction was, 'Holy shit, man. Too racy,'” Alpert says. “Obviously now it would hardly register, but at the time I thought, 'Wow, that’s a little much.'

10 minutes ago, firedog said:

Again, the facts are that the album was openly sold everywhere and was extremely popular. 

Yes, it was an extremely popular album. Yes, it was openly sold just about everywhere. But using that photo on the cover was still a risk...which is all I said. It was racy for 1965. It was meant to push the envelope which it certainly did. 

18 minutes ago, firedog said:

“Very much a Big risk” is what you wrote. And I wrote not so much-which was true. A big risk was a cover like the Beatles’ “Butcher” cover, that had to be withdrawn from stores. That’s a pretty big difference. 

If it was no big deal, not a big risk, why is that album cover on just about every controversial album art list that exists? Because it was a big deal and a big risk to take. It paid off and is now one of the most famous album covers of all time.