IGNORED

From 0 to Xeon/AL/Roon Server in 2 days

bobfa

34 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

What are your considerations then? Would it be safe to employ a HDPlaex with an E-2128G?

Xeon E and E3 are practically like Core i5/i7, with memory controller support for ECC RAM, so the power requirements are similar too.

From Xeon E5 and E7 it begins to differ more from Core processors. My development workstation is Xeon E5 and it supports for example much more RAM than the smaller ones can support. For that reason, the motherboard also has eight DIMM slots. And going to two or four socket boards you also gain higher total RAM bandwidth because each CPU has it's own memory controller and memory.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 2/18/2019 at 4:42 AM, bobfa said:

The top E-2186G is a 95W DTP with six cores and twelve threads.

https://ark.intel.com/products/134855/Intel-Xeon-E-2186G-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4-70-GHz-

$250 Intel Xeon E-2124G

https://ark.intel.com/products/134854/Intel-Xeon-E-2124G-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4-50-GHz-

5 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

o.O

In this perspective, how are Xeon Platinum, Gold and Silver placed?

They are newer parallel line. I think idea behind the Scalable series where those belong is to have a single socket that can take different levels of CPU, so you can upgrade easier. Of course within other limits of the system (cooling, PSU, etc). So there's the socket 3647 for those.

Somewhat like Silver = E/E3, Gold = E5, Platinum = E7.