IGNORED

From 0 to Xeon/AL/Roon Server in 2 days

bobfa

Excellent work.  Where are you viewing CPU temp? 

AL menu doesn't report CPU temp properly on my system, it read high.  However, the command line 'sensors' does report the correct temp.  Best to run 'sensors-detect' first and accept the defaults.  It can be tweaked/name adjusted but it's usually not necessary.  See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lm_sensors

On another note, I too had some strange crashes.  I completely disabled and removed smb and nmb as I don't use them, preferring sftp.  This cleaned up the core dumps caused by smb, see journalctl for log data.

I also found that by slightly under clocking my RAM I no longer experience crashes.  My ram modules are 'tested' for much higher refresh rate but I don't think this is necessary for audio use.  And clearly, something between controller and ram modules was going wrong and crashing.  Might be an area to explore in bios to reduce the speed.

I too run a gigabit fiber network PCIe board instead of in-built Ethernet.  My card has a Broadcom chip that AL already had a functioning driver compiled in the kernel.  I can look up the precise model if it's helpful.

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

The idea is to avoid command line if you can!!  Makes it simpler for everyone.

Don't fear the CLI.  Often, it's the simplest way to get things done, and you'll know what is happening vs. a menu with hidden commands.  The menu is great for involved things like enable/disable ramroot but changing nic settings is liable to cut one off from the machine.  Of course, have console access first, then edit the appropriate network files directly (or using the network manager as appropriate, I don't think AL has one but most variants do).

• 2 weeks later...

Have you let the system run for more than a few minutes after startup before manually starting Roonserver?  It's possible that it does startup after a few minutes.  Mine did this until I realized the network stack wasn't completing startup for 2-3 mins.

Reboot, let it sit for 5 mins and see.  

Great.  Check out 'journalctl' for clues.  I've shutoff/removed everything I didn't need like smbd and this reduced a few startup errors.  Ideally there are no errors on startup.

Try HQPe if Jussi makes it available for trial.  I prefer it to Roon straight.