IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Well, it appears that I was a bit lost on the site. I thought I was commenting on the last page of the thread, and it is now clear I wasn't. This all means that my first post was a bit odd and that my second one was unfounded. So apologies for the confusion. And I am pleased to read that the Mytek gives you satisfaction. I am tempted to buy it as a complement to my current system, specifically to play DSD files, even if it is probably inconvenient to have two DACs connected to my computer on a permanent basis.

Personally I do linear settings, oldest first (find in settings->general settings) as many folks, myself included, do not always respond within subthreads, etc.

Esprit,

I've already stated that I had forgotten that Michal says 352.8k is possible, ,just not for native PCM playback.

I am really sorry If I bring this one up again out of context, but my understanding is that this should be a problem for the firewire interface but shouldn't be for the USB 2.0 - from what I've read and understood, Rigisystems supports DxD and so does ESS 9016. So hopefully, in the future, we (the users of USB 2.0) might be capable of enjoying DxD as well!

I am really sorry If I bring this one up again out of context, but my understanding is that this should be a problem for the firewire interface but shouldn't be for the USB 2.0 - from what I've read and understood, Rigisystems supports DxD and so does ESS 9016. So hopefully, in the future, we (the users of USB 2.0) might be capable of enjoying DxD as well!

Panos, I really don't think that is gonna happen. The Mytek architecture only allows for up to 24/192k PCM playback, period. Although the chip may be capable of other things, the DAC wasn't built to that PCM sample rate. I doubt it is just a firmware thing. I could be wrong, but Michal has stated otherwise.

The Mytek architecture only allows for up to 24/192k PCM playback, period. Although the chip may be capable of other things, the DAC wasn't built to that PCM sample rate.

If they can support DSD128 as per DoP 1.1 channel-bonding way, they could also support 352.8/384 PCM with the Dice chip too, the same way as DoP.

In fact in my current implementation once the bonding is enabled it is applied to PCM playback too, I don't even have DSD-only bonding feature at the moment. Just all or nothing. Works for multi-AES/EBU too to get 2x rates by cramming one channel per cable.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

If they can support DSD128 as per DoP 1.1 channel-bonding way, they could also support 352.8/384 PCM with the Dice chip too, the same way as DoP.

In fact in my current implementation once the bonding is enabled it is applied to PCM playback too, I don't even have DSD-only bonding feature at the moment. Just all or nothing. Works for multi-AES/EBU too to get 2x rates by cramming one channel per cable.

No offense but you're preaching to the wrong person; does no one care what Michal actually said?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-stereo-192-a-5555/index63.html#post160930

"Mytek USB will be able to do 352.8k for the purpose of allowing 128xDSD. Mytek DAC converts PCM up to 192k only."

"IMO, for all practical purposes 192k and DSD will be the max rate for majority of hi-res downloads happening in the next few years. 352.8k or 384k masters are very rare as of today and properly executed DSD still retains its edge over PCM, even 384k PCM. It'll be a while before 384k has much use in a DAC."

Best Regards, Michal at Mytek New York

No offense but you're preaching to the wrong person; does no one care what Michal actually said?

"IMO, for all practical purposes 192k and DSD will be the max rate for majority of hi-res downloads happening in the next few years. 352.8k or 384k masters are very rare as of today and properly executed DSD still retains its edge over PCM, even 384k PCM. It'll be a while before 384k has much use in a DAC."

Yeah, it is different what is technically possible and if they'll want to bother to implement it for one reason or the other is another. Of course I still don't know if it is technically possible anyway, I only know up to the interface receiver side of the DAC (Dice or USBPAL).

For similar reasons many manufacturers probably won't be interested to implement DSD support even if they technically could. They just see DSD market as too small. That of course gives competitive advantage to those who do implement it.

From my point of view any of the DACs capable of high rate PCM or DSD allow sound quality improvements of even RedBook content through upsampling in my player. Even if there's no DXD/384k or DSD256 material available, I can still utilize those features.

Of course most hardware manufacturers want to see player software just as a necessary evil to transport bits from files to their hardware and don't want to take such software features into consideration.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I just got a new mac mini and am having problems getting the DAC going via USB2. The new mac is running Mountain Lion. I have been running the DAC on a mac mini with Snow Leopard and Lion, so I know hte DAC and usb cable are fine.

Can someone confirm that the USB drivers work ok with Mountain Lion?

I just got a new mac mini and am having problems getting the DAC going via USB2. The new mac is running Mountain Lion. I have been running the DAC on a mac mini with Snow Leopard and Lion, so I know hte DAC and usb cable are fine.

Yes, they work fine. Can you describe the problems?

Regarding the USB2 issue... I loaded the latest USB drivers and copied the Mytek CPL to the Applications folder. When I start Mytek CPL, the window is empty except for the message "No Devices Found". Also, when I open System Prefernce>Sound, I don't see the Mytek USB device.

If I plug the USB cable into the USB1.1 port on the Mytek, I do see the Mytek USB device in System Preferences?Sound.

It looks like the Mytek drivers are crashing Mountain Lion.

I setup the new Mac Mini and it was stable. I updated the Mac with the latest OSX software. I tested things and it was still stable. I install the Mytek 2.00 USB drivers, and the system becomes very unstable. Starts randomly rebooting, etc.

I reloaded the OSX a 2nd time, and it was stable again. The system was stable until I loaded the Mytek USB drivers again. Then the system became very unstable again.

I know people have been using the Mytek USB drivers with Mountain Lion. I did it earlier this year with a Macbook Pro.

I know the new Late 2012 machines have a slightly different build than the earlier Mountain Lion macbooks. Could this be the issue? Is anyone running a Late 2012 Mac with the Mytek USB drivers?

Thanks.

why not use firewire? many users/reviewers think it has superior sound quality.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Sorry to interject here, but I have a stupid question: I'm seriously considering getting a Mytek DAC, but I have no clue what you guys are talking about whenever you mention the acronym DoP. Is this some sort of special DSD communication protocol?

Simply put, DOP (DSD over PCM) is a way to transmit DSD to a DAC through a transport that is not DSD-aware.

E.g. you can use Audirvana Plus with a Hiface and a Mytek DAC, the player will take the DSD stream, disguise it as PCM, send it through the Hiface to the DAC, which recognizes the "wolf in sheep's clothes" and decodes it back as DSD. But the USB to SPDIF transport thinks it's PCM.

Or, more complex :

DoP open Standard | DSD-Guide.com

Sorry to interject here, but I have a stupid question: I'm seriously considering getting a Mytek DAC, but I have no clue what you guys are talking about whenever you mention the acronym DoP. Is this some sort of special DSD communication protocol?

DoP is DSD over PCM which is a methodology (originally created by dCS but open for anyone to use )to allow DSD data to be passed transparently over a PCM link rather than requiring specific drivers such as sending DSD using ASIO.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Have a quick question... the new revision PCB with the -6dB gain jumpers, has there been any other enhancements compared to the old board? The new board layout is slightly different, and can see a third clock in the lower left hand area. Any info be appreciated.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

Hi there,

Been doing some experiments with my Mytek with various speakers, and now i can't get the dac to show the sample rate of the music it's playing, instead it shows the volume level and dSd. For sure it's a simple command i need to do in the settings, but i'm not finding where...

Can someone please advice?

Many thanks.

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Hi there,

Been doing some experiments with my Mytek with various speakers, and now i can't get the dac to show the sample rate of the music it's playing, instead it shows the volume level and dSd. For sure it's a simple command i need to do in the settings, but i'm not finding where...

Can someone please advice?

Many thanks.

Just forget my previous post, needed a fresh restart. :)

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Just forget my previous post, needed a fresh restart. :)

Sure, but showing "DSD" means it's playing at 1 bit, 2.82Mhz (DSD) and sample rate (for various PCM formats) is not applicable. "HDSD" means DSD128 or 1 bit, 5.6Mhz (available via Windows/ASIO USB).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2570[/ATTACH]

Good question, but the Weiss drivers do actually work. Just remember to check the new toggle on the WDM tab for auto rate switching. There is also the improved DPC checker.

The Weiss drives work on the Mytek DAC? If so, do these auto-switch with Amarra? The previous Firewire drivers would not Auto-Switch the sampling rate in Amarra.

The Weiss drives work on the Mytek DAC? If so, do these auto-switch with Amarra? The previous Firewire drivers would not Auto-Switch the sampling rate in Amarra.

According to tests I have done with firewire drivers verions 4.0, Weiss drivers do not work with the Mytek.

According to tests I have done with firewire drivers verions 4.0, Weiss drivers do not work with the Mytek.

Mikel, are you saying Pacwin is wrong? His screenshot shows the Mytek clearly. ?