IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

The review has lots of good info. I especially liked seeing the output voltages of the various configurations. But, I can't find similar specs for my Pass Labs XP-10 preamp. Here are the specs I could find on the preamp. I see the Input voltage before overload is 11 volts.

How do you know if you are better off using the Mytek in it's default configuration or setting the jumpers for -6DB of output? I know if I hear obvious distortion, I need to cut the gain, but aside from that is there a better way of know which setting to use?

Gain: 1 / 10 dB

No. Volume control steps 64

Freq. Response: -3 dB @ 2 Hz,

-3 dB at @ 60 kHz

Distortion: approx. 0.001%

Max Output: 7V single-ended

15V Balanced

Maximum Output Voltage: 7V single-ended

15V Balanced

Output Impedance: 200 ohms single-ended

1K / leg Balanced

Input Impedance: 48K single-ended

48K per leg balanced

Number of gain paths: 4

Input voltage before overload: 11 volts

CMRR: approx. -60 dB @ 1 kHz

Output Noise Floor: less than 0.5 uV

Crosstalk: -85 dB

Inputs: 2 balanced

3 single-ended

Tape loop: no

External Amp turn-on: no

Remote control: yes

Power Supply: Internal

Power Consumption: 15 Watts

No. of Chassis: 1

I just wanted to update you a bit on my problems with the mytek dac. They seem to have found a solution now and I just want to underline that Michal has been very helpful along the way.

I have finally managed to modify the gain. After reading the review at audio stream - I was finally able to identify the jumpers and set it right. Nevertheless, the gain still seems too high in balanced mode for my Pathos classic one II. However, in unbalanced mode it works without distortion. I must say this DAC should be run in bypass mode it finally brings forth the additional detail and better sound which I missed before. The edginess and sharpness, which I to some extent almost interpreted as distortion at one point - also seems to disappear in bypass mode.

What I am wondering is whether I miss out on sound quality using the unbalanced connection instead of the balanced ones? And secondly, what are your impression of Pure music versus audirvana plus in terms of sound quality and functionality. I have been using pure music - but audirvana sounds a tad more musical to my ears (but perhaps at the expense of detail?) What are your experiences here. Audirvana seems to work much better in terms of usability than pure music which is cumbersome.

Thank you all for helping me along the way last week!

Dear Michal,

Just wondering what the new firmware you had just posted entails in terms of changes and fixes? i.e. V1.6.3.b2.bin

Michal and I chatted today on email. He said "1.6.3b2 fixes some trim issues, tweaks 128dsd etc, not a major upgrade"

I just wanted to update you a bit on my problems with the mytek dac. They seem to have found a solution now and I just want to underline that Michal has been very helpful along the way.

I have finally managed to modify the gain. After reading the review at audio stream - I was finally able to identify the jumpers and set it right. Nevertheless, the gain still seems too high in balanced mode for my Pathos classic one II. However, in unbalanced mode it works without distortion. I must say this DAC should be run in bypass mode it finally brings forth the additional detail and better sound which I missed before. The edginess and sharpness, which I to some extent almost interpreted as distortion at one point - also seems to disappear in bypass mode.

What I am wondering is whether I miss out on sound quality using the unbalanced connection instead of the balanced ones? And secondly, what are your impression of Pure music versus audirvana plus in terms of sound quality and functionality. I have been using pure music - but audirvana sounds a tad more musical to my ears (but perhaps at the expense of detail?) What are your experiences here. Audirvana seems to work much better in terms of usability than pure music which is cumbersome.

Thank you all for helping me along the way last week!

Rasmussen,

I agree about bypass; been posting that recommendation here for months. :) I find XLR (vs RCA) to be a tad cleaner, but have no proof. I've moved to my Concert Fidelity CF-080 which is single ended only so I have no choice.

PM vs A+ has been discussed ad nauseum. I think it comes down to personal preference and system/listening conditions.

Still on 2011, first wave firmware. Fearful of Exacto knife surgery on my unit...but mentally prepared for the slice and dice this weekend.

Have 1,800 CD files and a dozen HD Tracks downloads, so no DSD/SACD downloads or rips.

Question for Ted_B or other Mytekian experts...Am I going to hear any improvement with hardware slice &dice and firmware upgrade when palying files I have (assuming my Aerial 10Ts, McCormack DNA-500 and ears all work to spec)?

Tone with Soul

Thanks Ted, for the information. We seem to be getting more of these kinda information from you than the man himself! I think it will be a good idea for the Mytek users to have access to information such as each firmware iteration (i.e. change log) and allow the users to decide whether the firmware is really worth updating to.

Still on 2011, first wave firmware. Fearful of Exacto knife surgery on my unit...but mentally prepared for the slice and dice this weekend.

Question for Ted_B or other Mytekian experts...Am I going to hear any improvement with hardware slice &dice and firmware upgrade when palying files I have (assuming my Aerial 10Ts, McCormack DNA-500 and ears all work to spec)?

1. Where do I find the slice/dice steps again? - now that mine is revealed to be a 2011 model?

2. Is it advisable to update firmware direct from old 1.4.3 to new 1.6.3, in the one step?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

1. Where do I find the slice/dice steps again? - now that mine is revealed to be a 2011 model?

2. Is it advisable to update firmware direct from old 1.4.3 to new 1.6.3, in the one step?

Where applicable the trace cut was necessary for all firmware verions >= 1.3.2

So if your device has currently 1.4.3 then you don't need to do anything.

Mine was delivered with 1.4.0 in March 2012 and the trace cut was already implemented.

FW update not need to be done in steps. Just use the latest version if any.

Windows Notebook / Foobar2000 -> Mytek 192 DSD -> Lua 6060 Tube Amp -> T+A Speaker

Vinyl: Thorens TD320 / MC Rondo Red -> Threshold Fet Nine -> Lake People ADC C440 -> AES

HP: Denon AH-D7000

Hello everyone, I just recently received the Mytek DAC and I have experienced heavy clipping with DSD playback (SACD iso rips in foobar2000) to the point of distortion. My DAC is new and I received it last week so from what I've been reading here is that the jumpers need to be modified to lower gain? Will this solve my problem with the DSD clipping? Thanks!

It might be. There isnt really enough useful information here.

Which specific SACD ISOS are you talking about?.

What specific model amp or preamp are you feeding this voltage into from the DAC?

What happens to the "clipping", if you enable the analog or digital volume control and turn it down does the "clipping" go away?. That would be indicative/discriminative of amplifier input overload distortion.

Does this behaviour occur with PCM sources?

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

The latest build of JRiver Media Center has enabled DSD 128 over DoP (17.0.183). I havent yet tried this but is the Mytek firmware currently capable of this higher rate over DoP? Anyone know for sure. HQAnalyst can do this now or not yet?

Pacwin,

I tried it (17.0.183) and reported it on J RIver. For DSD64 ASIO USB works, as does DoP over firewire. For DSD128 ASIO USB works, but that's it. And I can't get DoP working over USB with J RIver. All of these scenarios may have been the same, frankly, with 17.0.182 but I never checked ASIO with that release.

For DSD128 DoP (firewire or USB) I get a 24/352.8k error message from J RIver that it might be a sample rate my hardware can't handle....which makes sense.

For DSD128 DoP (firewire or USB) I get a 24/352.8k error message from J RIver that it might be a sample rate my hardware can't handle....which makes sense.

DSD128 works only over ASIO DSD (and only USB or SDIF). Not over DoP (nor Firewire), since the PCM is limited to 192k sampling rate which is the maximum supported for PCM by Mytek DAC.

ASIO can distinguish between DSD and PCM formats and supported sampling rates by each.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

DSD128 works only over ASIO DSD (and only USB or SDIF). Not over DoP (nor Firewire), since the PCM is limited to 192k sampling rate which is the maximum supported for PCM by Mytek DAC.

ASIO can distinguish between DSD and PCM formats and supported sampling rates by each.

Miska,

So as not to confuse:

"DSD128 works only over ASIO DSD" is a qualified statement for the Mytek, right? I mean, JRiver just put out an update that says it supports DSD128 via DoP (of course would require the DSD-capable DAC of doing 24/352). I seem to remember Michal stating that it might work for the Mytek since internally it can handle more than 192k, but not as a useable selectable PCM rate....but I guess not. That's why I said "which makes sense". But since my DoP USB isn't working at all (via Windows; works fine in OSX) then I can't even test my likely-faulty theory.

Once again, edit timer has lapsed. Wow!

Miska, on June 6th Michal (aka Mytek) posted this statement on this thread:

"Mytek USB will be able to do 352.8k for the purpose of allowing 128xDSD".

So what is your explanation; do you think that maybe my tests are inconclusive cuz I can't even get DSD64 to work via DoP USB J River?

"DSD128 works only over ASIO DSD" is a qualified statement for the Mytek, right?

Yes, that's the case...

I seem to remember Michal stating that it might work for the Mytek since internally it can handle more than 192k, but not as a useable selectable PCM rate....but I guess not.

There are two ways to do DSD128 with DoP spec, one is to use 352.8 rate and 1:1 channels, another is to use 176.4 rate and 1:2 channels (channel bonding).

I support the latter one at experimental level only on the Linux version, until I have verified it with some DAC...

That's why I said "which makes sense". But since my DoP USB isn't working at all (via Windows; works fine in OSX) then I can't even test my likely-faulty theory.

Last time I tried DoP USB through WASAPI it was working fine. Same for Firewire with WASAPI. I don't even support DoP over ASIO, since from my perspective the combination doesn't make any sense, so I don't know about that...

It might be. There isnt really enough useful information here. Which specific SACD ISOS are you talking about?. What specific model amp or preamp are you feeding this voltage into from the DAC? What happens to the "clipping", if you enable the analog or digital volume control and turn it down does the "clipping" go away?. That would be indicative/discriminative of amplifier input overload distortion. Does this behaviour occur with PCM sources?
By clipping I mean that the LED meters display the 0db red light and that is when the distortion comes in. It happens with all my SACD isos, when a loud section comes in the red light appears for clipping and distortion ensues. Do you have any recommendations on what I can do? I haven't messed with the analog/digital volume control, I have the output volume set at 0db, is that too high? Even if I lower it, the red light still appears and I know that the clipping is there..
Do you have any recommendations on what I can do? I haven't messed with the analog/digital volume control, I have the output volume set at 0db, is that too high? Even if I lower it, the red light still appears and I know that the clipping is there..

Depending on how much it goes over you can try to lower digital volume on the player application to keep the output data at lower level and preventing it from overloading the DAC.

Indistorm,

It is well documented here that the Mytek's bypassed output can be too hot for some preamps, integrateds or powered speakers (i.e line level inputs). Turning the analog (non-bypassed) volume down to, say, -10db, may correct that, as might changing the jumpers to -6db (assuming you have a later model that has internal jumpers). However, i would not simply assume that, after turning down the gain and hearing no apparent distortion, that just because the DSD leds show red that it is proof of clipping. I'm not 100% sure that is the case. (Once again i will ask Michal :)) I see red meters a lot and do not hear anything close to clipping, nor see it on spectrum analysis of the suspect tracks (PCM in the spectrum example of course).

Miska's idea of lowering the software players digital volume is a good one. A couple years ago I had an M2Tech driver in their Young DAC, and the driver was too hot. Lowering Pure Music's gain by a few db cured all ills. Can't be done in DSD though. :(