IGNORED

Best RCA Cables

Ralf11

On 1/20/2019 at 5:43 PM, Ralf11 said:

I need some 3 ft. long RCA cables for a new amp (which is SE only).

What should I get?

Why should any 3 foot RCA cables of decent quality, sound different from another decent cable?    Do not all good RCA cables sound alike?

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Last time - please stop polluting this thread, genieboy.  Go post elsewhere if you want.  Start your own hate thread if that is what your shrink thinks will help you.

OK...  I was just confused as to why you were asking.

I have shielded IC's which I have enjoyed.  They tend to mellow out the sound because the shielding will effect the leading edge of the signal. With tubes I believe you will want to avoid that effect.

If you want an IC that does not need shielding (avoiding the effects of the shield on the leading edge) you might want to consider   WyWires IC's .   WW use true litz.  Low impedance and low eddy current cables. The cable structure helps with the proximity effect found with cables with regular wiring.

If the 'look' is not important to you?  Fidelity is your main concern?  The WW Blue version is what I would look at. There is a purity of signal transfer that is exceptional. They are not inexpensive when new.  I picked up used WW balanced cables and they sound like they are not there.  Very neutral (if that's what you want).  They just seem to get out of the way.  Can be used as tone controls.  Look for some used and you may be very happy.

WyWires Blue

Blue series offers an economical product line with WyWires’ commitment to great value.  Blue Series cables offer much of the performance attributes as the Silver albeit in a simplified and less luxurious offering, at entry level pricing. Identified by royal blue label and black sheathing.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

6 hours ago, marce said:

Could you explain this phenomena, we are talking RCA co-ax where the shield is also the return path... Never heard of the leading edge being affected. 

My mistake... I was referring to a shielded RCA IC that has a third leg, where shield was an outward mesh only connected to one end.

2 hours ago, marce said:

So a twisted pair or similar with a screen, all I can imagine is the extra capacitance between the screen and the cables will need to be charged as the signal changes, a link to some info would be appreciated.

I said what I said through my observation over the years having used some otherwise excellent shielded IC's, both litz, and non-litz types.  Later, when I switched to cables having litz wiring without shielding I noticed the leading edge was more like real music.  Its subtle.  Some may even prefer the shielded cables sound. Litz type 2 implemented well. It should not need shielding because of its excellent proximity effect.  Very neutral.

I later noticed how several cable manufacturers stated that such shielding blunts the leading edge.  So?  At that point I assumed that since what they claimed agrees with my observation?  That what I noted must be true. 

I believe that Cardas uses litz and shielding.  Cardas should mellow the sound of systems that need its high end tamed.