IGNORED

Got my Pi and running it with Moode, some questions...

It took less than 30 min to have it up and running even tho just with online radios so the questions are:

- I inserted a FAT32 formatted dongle in one of the USB ports on the Pi but Moode doesn't show it among the sources, which file system should be used? SOLVED

- I'd like to use my NAS as a storage for lossless music but so far it seems I don't know how to access the folder where the music is stored, I can use both a SAMBA or an FTP connection off the Pi but am pretty new to this, problem being I don't know how to access a specific folder onto the NAS, when I log onto it I simply type its IP address followed by :8080 and then through the graphical interface I navigate the various options and the file manager with the various folders but dunno how to access a specific folder without the graphical interface, any hint? The NAS is a QNAP.

- I would like to add an SPDIF coaxial output so that I can use the coaxial input on the DAC (so that the two optical can still run the TV screen and the CD player whilst the USB remains available to, say, connect the laptop), which one would you suggest not being a multimillion dollar one?  Mind you, I am running my own external DAC (a Beresford Caiman SEG) so I only need a better output than the Pi's USB, reading about clock being 19.2MHZ on the Pi and as such not a multiple of the 44.1Khz needed, is this big issue into choosing the right HAT?

This is to begin with, once I figure how to connect the external music source I would eventually evaluate a board to host a 2.5" memory storage (either a spinning disc since I have a couple here at home or an SSD) and a case to have a cleaner look and a linear power supply to give enough Ah to power both the Pi and eventual HAT + memory storage in the future.

Grazie

Giovanni

• 1 year later...

I am using both JustBoom Digi Zero pHAT on a Pi Zero and a JustBoom Digi HAT on a Pi 3B+. They both sound fantastic and setup was a breeze using moOde. Let me know if you need any help sourcing the gear. Here in the US I had a heck of a time piecing together a kit to build. So much so that I got doubles and triples of a bunch of things so I could hook friends up.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:44 PM, Giuanniello said:

I would like to add an SPDIF coaxial output

You can look at hifiberry digi+ plus or Allo Digione to mention two of the most used hat

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-digi-pro/
https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html

there is also the Allo Digione Signature (more expensive)

https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature.html
they all have two clocks for 44.1 and 48 and multiples 

Stefano

My audio system

20 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

.... not bad at all ... I have rpi4 and usb output is fine to my ears

That's the interesting thing with sound quality. The USB output on my Lenovo laptop was fine for Tidal Hi-Fi into my cheapy M-Audio DAC. Then I got some new headphones that needed headphone amp, so I had to get a new DAC. It was like night and day. I didn't think it could be any better than it already was. Then I built one of these network streamers because I already had a Pi Zero laying around. That sounded even better going into my DAC than the laptop did. You never know what you're missing until you have something better to compare it to.

1 hour ago, hifihats said:

That's the interesting thing with sound quality. The USB output on my Lenovo laptop was fine for Tidal Hi-Fi into my cheapy M-Audio DAC. Then I got some new headphones that needed headphone amp, so I had to get a new DAC. It was like night and day. I didn't think it could be any better than it already was. Then I built one of these network streamers because I already had a Pi Zero laying around. That sounded even better going into my DAC than the laptop did. You never know what you're missing until you have something better to compare it to.

I can actually compare my rpi4 with my SOtM sms 200 and even if I find the SOtM better I cannot say the rpi4 is so much worst. Considering the price difference the rpi4 is truly remarkable

Stefano

My audio system

4 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I can actually compare my rpi4 with my SOtM sms 200 and even if I find the SOtM better I cannot say the rpi4 is so much worst. Considering the price difference the rpi4 is truly remarkable

I think the USB input on the DAC can make a difference here. In my present setup I either don't hear differences between USB sources or hear small ones that I'm not sure I'd identify in a true blind test. 

YMMV.

In any case a Pi as a streamer and a USB "cleaner" - if you find one you think helps - is still a cost effective solution compared to many audiophile streamers. 

Streamers like the Sonore models come with very useful software options and support, so that is also an issue and can make them a preferred alternative. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)