IGNORED

The flaws of blind listening tests

2 hours ago, SoundAndMotion said:

If you had named this thread "Pitfalls and considerations for listening tests", I would praise your ideas as important and relevant. What you call "concentrating on", I would call "attention", and it is a very important consideration for test design. But what makes your ideas only relevant to "blind" tests? How, exactly does "blinding" a test harm it? And why are they "flaws", if they are taken into account in the design of the test?

I fully accept and agree with your comments.....this isn’t just about blind testing, its really about any listening tests, so good point. Again ‘concentrating on’ and ‘paying attention to’ are exactly the concept I was referring to. 

The reason I picked on blind testing was because it rarely reaches the conclusion you’d expect i.e being able to clearly pick out what seem like obvious differences in performance.  The reason you can reliably pick out the differences sighted is very likely because its sighted. As soon as the test is carried out blinded, the difference apparently disappears.  The point I was making but admittedly didn’t emphasise is that the whole test is flawed.....sighted or blind, because of the reasons I gave. However if the tests are carried out using human voice, the differences become much easier to identify, sighted or unsighted, because you’ve removed a great deal of complexity of the source material, focused on something we’re already absolutely expert at and removed the possibility of wandering or varying focus of attention 

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

The difficulty with listening tests is using them in the "expectation" that one can use them to find whether one component, or change is "better" than another. Doomed to failure, in my book - what matters is if the system is working to a certain standard or not - and you do what is necessary to achieve that standard. Which may entail anything and everything between, very slightly altering the position of a cable somewhere; to ejecting, discarding the whole chain of components and starting afresh - the latter because you've realised that there is a fundamental limitation in the whole setup, and nothing one can reasonably do will overcome that.

You're not wandering around a range of hills, looking for a pretty spot to take some photos; there is a mountain peak in the middle, and you keep your eyes firmly glued on that point, and the landscape between you and that height; and you steadily and unerringly make your way closer and closer, higher and higher - until you are firmly footed on that peak, and can turn in any direction, and see "forever" ...

Very poetic, however when you climb your mountain peak, what you see are the next peaks, higher and more magnificent than the one you’re standing on. When you achieve a system that ‘disappears’ leaving just a big, beautiful soundscape in space...no identifiable sources like speakers....when you’re there, you’ve achieved an important milestone, a system that can trick your hearing and brain into constructing a solid 3 dimensional sound stage. But that’s just a stage along the way. Get there and there are still many improvements that can be made.  Greater naturalness, dynamics, speed, rhythmic drive, beauty, communication of the musical message, emotional responses, listener involvement to name just a few areas that can continue to be improved.

I think what you get are people with a good knowledge about measurements and measuring who often have strong opinions based on what they know.  And you get people who do not have the skill/education in electronic test and measurement,  but who may have strong opinions based on what they hear, which may by the way may be accurate, sensitive and quite well refined without suffering from expectational bias, like a skilled wine taster, who is not a chemist but can still correctly differentiate wines and their ‘attributes’ .