IGNORED

GentooPlayer

@antonellocaroli thank you for the response. Can you clarify eup vs eup100? Part of the fun in this hobby is diy and learning for me. I want to understand what I like better not just it sounds better. I have and do go through each one, but understanding what I like is important to me and I'm sure it is to others as well. 

Can you quickly say what profile 6/7 is now? Even briefly. 

33 minutes ago, Badd99 said:

Can you quickly say what profile 6/7 is now? Even briefly. 

They are equivalent to profiles 1 and 2 respectively, with the difference that it uses CPU0 for usb&eth interrputs and CPU1 for usb&eth Threahad and CPU2and3 for the player

As for the kernel acronyms, I repeat they make no logical sense to a user, so if you search EUP online you will find wrong information. They only make sense to me at compile time that they automatically call up customised and specific configuration files for that particular acronym, All ULTRA kernels are very small in size with low ram consumption and more. Unfortunately I can't give you more information, as I have said many times you have to try if you feel like it, otherwise desist, this IS the chance I offer you to choose, not to teach.

3 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

...I am updating some information (profiles and kernel) time permitting...

NOR, by the way, stands for NO-RCU.

But even clarifying some of the acronyms, which often only make sense to me at compile time, doesn't change your situation, which you should test, if you have the time and inclination.

Thanks for you work Filippo, once you done can you update here again?

by the way, do I redownload image and burn to sd card and setup again?

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

19 hours ago, Badd99 said:

@congofather Also, what profile are you using? I am using profile 1, but haven't gone through the 7 and the lack of info what they do past 5 is frustrating. 

I use profile 1 and in advanced put USB at 95 priority, -20 smile or whatever it was called for USB to the CPU noted in profile 1. I also do this for eth core with the same numbers for the core noted in profile 1 and then go to diretta target (as I use diretta from audiolinux PC to diretta target on gentoplayer) with the same 95 priority -20 for the CPU core that profile 1 says it puts everything to for players. I really like this setup, but love to hear yours and your experience. 

I don't use any profile. I just manually set priority and attributes of some processes. I disabled almost everything except MPD & UpMpdCli and Librespot(Spotify Connect).

In addition to this, I modified the configuration files of these applications.

MPD Process Settings:

image.thumb.png.01f25945ce220a07fd882b7c2e16306f.png

UPMPDCli Process Settings:

image.thumb.png.cc32b6299343c3b1d7edd01ea8b594fe.png

Librespot configuration

image.thumb.png.f53c29c78b8cfc040bb5a75cad7e52df.png

MPD Bitperfect Settings

image.thumb.png.78fa70db9882bc09c88d19643ebb6c77.png

UpMpdCli Settings

image.thumb.png.a71a2aea68f9662ec9c7c1f7781de5b8.png

I changed some Tweak settings as follows;

image.thumb.png.f339ade7f4cabe6604c69c4cc0ef08ee.png

Lastly, when I feel that everything is working without any problem, I enable RAMSystem  with Mode-6 which I strongly advise you to use(RAMSYSTEM) if you have enough memory..

After the last upgrade, I have been still testing the system to be sure that everything is OK. After that I will enable RAMSystem again and won't touch anything for a long time.

@antonellocaroli Do you have any recommendation to improve the settings that I use? If you have, I really would like to try and see how it'll take effect in my system :) 

Thanks for you work Filippo, seems like you resolve the drive mounting issue with new kernal, oct 14 version.

now I am fully on ver8.3 already and confirm it does sounded better compare to 8.2! 

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

Hi @antonellocaroli,

I have enabled Profile-1 today in order to see its effect. As far as I understand it sets CPU-0 for system processes and isolate other CPUs for players etc. After I enabled Profile-1 and set process CPUs and their priorities under System Expert-1 menu (03. Set Software Process), I rebooted the system.

However, it failed to reboot. I recognized that it can not get IP address from the router when I checked the connected clients on admin page of my ASUS router. Then I have removed the SDCard and checked the cmdline.txt file in SDCard (gentooplayer installation). I recognized that adding net.ifnames=0 prevents the system to reboot correctly.

When I remove net.ifnames=0 from the cmdline.txt , it started working again successfully.  I am writing these details to inform that sometimes adding this attribute and value may cause system not to get an IP address from the router successfully.

After that, @antonellocaroli, I would like to get your advice when using Profile-1. There are 4 CPUs on Mercury Streamer from 0 to 3. I just use MPD and UPMpdCli.  I have not currently set IRQ for USB and Ethernet (under System Expert-1 menu >> 01. Set IRQ). In addition to this, I can say that I do never use USB connection in my setup. Do you think, in my case, it is better to make IRQ settings for Ethernet and set its dedicated cpu to CPU-1, for example and let the other processes use the CPUs 2 to 3?

9 hours ago, congofather said:

I have enabled Profile-1 today in order to see its effect. As far as I understand it sets CPU-0 for system processes and isolate other CPUs for players etc. After I enabled Profile-1 and set process CPUs and their priorities under System Expert-1 menu (03. Set Software Process), I rebooted the system.

you should not use profiles and experet menus together or one or the other.

9 hours ago, congofather said:

However, it failed to reboot. I recognized that it can not get IP address from the router when I checked the connected clients on admin page of my ASUS router. Then I have removed the SDCard and checked the cmdline.txt file in SDCard (gentooplayer installation). I recognized that adding net.ifnames=0 prevents the system to reboot correctly.

When I remove net.ifnames=0 from the cmdline.txt , it started working again successfully.  I am writing these details to inform that sometimes adding this attribute and value may cause system not to get an IP address from the router successfully.

This is perhaps because you have set up a static ip (with a network interface with a name other than eth0) without dhcp? net.ifnames=0 is needed, otherwise some scripts will not work.

13 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

you should not use profiles and experet menus together or one or the other.

This is perhaps because you have set up a static ip (with a network interface with a name other than eth0) without dhcp? net.ifnames=0 is needed, otherwise some scripts will not work.

Yes, I assigned static IP  and disabled DHCP. It is connected directly to the switch by using ethernet connection.  Maybe you can set İt optionally and ask for the user in case the user prefers static IP address.

8 minutes ago, congofather said:

Yes, I assigned static IP  and disabled DHCP. It is connected directly to the switch by using ethernet connection.  Maybe you can set İt optionally and ask for the user in case the user prefers static IP address.

No, it also works with static ip, the problem is that you set the static ip before I added this, so in the static ip configuration it no longer matches the network interface.

You can disable the static ip momentarily, enable dhcp, reboot, put net.ifnames=0 back where it should be, reboot and reset the static ip, reboot, and if it works and the network is seen correctly, disable dhcp.
After that you will have no more problems....

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

No, it also works with static ip, the problem is that you set the static ip before I added this, so in the static ip configuration it no longer matches the network interface.

You can disable the static ip momentarily, enable dhcp, reboot, put net.ifnames=0 back where it should be, reboot and reset the static ip, reboot, and if it works and the network is seen correctly, disable dhcp.
After that you will have no more problems....

Thank you I'll try that👍 By the way, my last settings for MERCURY Streamer(RPI4 64 bit architecture with 4 CPUs) is as follows (I don't use USB output);

Boot Options:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=d8334e06-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait isolcpus=1-3 nohz_full=1-3 rcu_nocbs=1-3

Profile: Profile not Setting
Kernel: 6.1.54-GentooPlayer-RT-ULTRA-EUP100-RCU-rt15+
v8.30-174 | Raspberry Pi 4B+ (aarch64)

IRQ Setting For Ethernet (CPU-1); just set value for Ethernet and left others blank(??)
gentooplayer_ethernet_irq.thumb.jpg.74e6ed7984b0915a170e9ca62fe7ed98.jpg

Ethernet Process Settings(use CPU-1 with High Priority)

gentooplayer_process_ethernet.thumb.jpg.0a03ef59f52d75cae7ad95d1b8027f02.jpg

MPD Process Settings(use CPU 2-3 with High Priority)

gentooplayer_process_mpd.thumb.jpg.19c8dfb9acfd5bc7537d65aa448e38c2.jpg

UpMpdCli Process Settings(use CPU 2-3 with High Priority)

gentooplayer_process_upmpdcli.thumb.jpg.bd987f36e11672f4b15e5bbfdc55077c.jpg

Started Service:
net.end0
netmount
gpsetirq
mpd
gpsetmpd
gpkernel1
gpseteth
gpsetlib
upmpdcli
gpsetupm
sshd
gphavagedstop
gpchronystop
local
gpsetrestart

Stopped Service:
chronyd
gprtclock

CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
CPU(s) scaling MHz: 100%
Thread(s) per core: 1
Vendor ID: ARM
Model: 3
Model name: Cortex-A72
─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
CPU-specific microarchitecture:

Gentooplayer CPU Info
Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
Architecture | aarch64
Temp | 52'c : 125'f | Optimal.
Governor | performance
18 minutes ago, cpasmoi said:

hello

Small question, can we replace Roon Server with the Player Jriver and use Hqplayer embedded?

Can enable Jriver in Gentooplayer options?

Thank you for your feedback 

On GentooPlayer you can only use jriver on the GP-Xfce4 version,
and I don't know if you can use it with embedded hqplayer, I have never tested it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Gentooplayer to operate with MPDCtrl for Windows.  While it does work, the file display is somewhat rudimentary and opens all the sub-folders on the HDD at once

I would much prefer to use an iPad app and have tried Rigelian, Shinobu and Maximum MPD.  Rigelian won't connect (well, it connects once, but when it restarted, it is disconnected again nd always states "No albums found") and Maximum MPD only shows the first folder.  Shinobu works ok, but when the program is started, there is a 5 to 10 minute wait before it will respond to commands and then it is sluggish

Are there any well-behaved applications (JRiver is very good) that work well on an iPad

The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club.  Achieve astonishing sound
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2, Devialet 440CI, REL sub, ML Electromotion, 2 x Dachshunds

Just to say that Audirvana with UPmpdcli run now perfectly, even in high frequency, and in DSD 64 with Diretta.

And sound very nice.

Not at all justify to choose gmediarender for compatibility with Audirvana.

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.

2 hours ago, chrisc said:

Got the Gentooplayer to operate with MPDCtrl for Windows.  While it does work, the file display is somewhat rudimentary and opens all the sub-folders on the HDD at once

I would much prefer to use an iPad app and have tried Rigelian, Shinobu and Maximum MPD.  Rigelian won't connect (well, it connects once, but when it restarted, it is disconnected again nd always states "No albums found") and Maximum MPD only shows the first folder.  Shinobu works ok, but when the program is started, there is a 5 to 10 minute wait before it will respond to commands and then it is sluggish

Are there any well-behaved applications (JRiver is very good) that work well on an iPad

can you post your system info?

System info:   (Let me know if I have left anything out)

Thank you

_____            _              _____  _                       
 / ____|          | |            |  __ \| |                      
| |  __  ___ _ __ | |_ ___   ___ | |__) | | __ _ _   _  ___ _ __ 
| | |_ |/ _ \ '_ \| __/ _ \ / _ \|  ___/| |/ _` | | | |/ _ \ '__|
| |__| |  __/ | | | || (_) | (_) | |    | | (_| | |_| |  __/ |   
 \_____|\___|_| |_|\__\___/ \___/|_|    |_|\__,_|\__, |\___|_|   
                                                  __/ |          
                                                 |___/           
 Profile:     Profile not Setting
 RamSystem:   Mode 1
 Free memory: 2753MB of total 3843MB

Kernel:   6.1.54-GentooPlayer-ST+
 ───────────────────────────────────────
 GentooPlayer   | 07:08 | Sat 04/11/23 
 v8.30-174      | Raspberry Pi 4B+ (aarch64)
 eth0       | 192.168.0.119

Players/soft. Info:
Squeezelite-R2          [Disabled]
Squeezelite             [Disabled]
Networkaudiod           [Disabled]
LogitechMediaServer     [Disabled]
BubbleUpnp              [Disabled]
HQPlayer Embedded       [Disabled]
Mpd                     [Enabled]
UpMpdCli                [Enabled]
RoonBridge              [Disabled]
RoonServer              [Disabled]
myMPD                   [Enabled]
minimserver             [Disabled]
shairport-sync          [Disabled]
spotify-connect         [Disabled]
web-interface           [Enabled]
Samba                   [Disabled]
gmediarender            [Disabled]
camillagui              [Disabled]
aplayer                 [Disabled]
aprenderer              [Disabled]
gstreciver              [Disabled]

GP-Service Info:
gpchronystop   [Enabled]
gphavagedstop  [Enabled]
gpireteonline  [Enabled]
gpkernel1      [Enabled]
gprtclock      [Enabled]
gpsetrestart   [Enabled]

Started Service:
upmpdcli
net.eth0
netmount
mpd
mympd
local

Stopped Service:
chronyd
gpkernel1
gprtclock
gphavagedstop
gpireteonline
gpchronystop
gpsetrestart

Crashed Service:

Boot Options:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=6fa8ec3b-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait net.ifnames=0

*** Scanning for playback devices ***
Card 0, ID `sndrpihifiberry', name `snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi'
  Device 0, ID `HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', name `HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro HiFi wm8804-spdif-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rate 32000..192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
    Buffer size range from 4 to 131072
    Period size range from 2 to 65536

Subdevice 0, name `subdevice #0'

AUDIO CARDS INFO:
CARD        TYPE            ADDRESS                NAME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    card0    Internal Audio card    card0 --> --         HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro
card0    STATUS  --> closed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K-e4:5f:01:38:22:c0 e4:5f:01:38:22:c1

Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root      ext4       29G  5.0G   22G  19% /
devtmpfs       devtmpfs   10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs          tmpfs     769M  548K  769M   1% /run
cgroup_root    tmpfs      10M     0   10M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
shm            tmpfs     1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2      fuseblk   3.7T  3.4T  314G  92% /media/media/ntfs
none           tmpfs      15M   13M  2.0M  87% /bin
none           tmpfs      19M   16M  3.0M  85% /etc
none           tmpfs      15M   13M  2.0M  87% /sbin
none           tmpfs      24M   14M  9.9M  58% /lib
none           tmpfs      17M   16M  1.1M  94% /lib64
none           tmpfs     703M  665M   38M  95% /usr
none           tmpfs      84M   55M   30M  65% /var
none           tmpfs      49M     0   49M   0% /tmp
none           tmpfs      72M   52M   21M  72% /opt
none           tmpfs      56M  6.3M   50M  12% /root
/dev/mmcblk0p1 vfat      591M  270M  321M  46% /boot

CPU(s):                             4
On-line CPU(s) list:                0-3
CPU(s) scaling MHz:                 100%
Thread(s) per core:                 1
Vendor ID:                          ARM
Model:                              3
Model name:                         Cortex-A72

Information not available in ram mode

Gentooplayer CPU Info
 Use cpu-governor to change CPU / performance options
 Architecture |     aarch64
 Temp         |     59'c : 138'f  | warm.
 Governor     |     performance

Current Freq    Min Freq   Max Freq
 CPU0         |      1500 MHz      600 MHz    1500 MHz
 CPU1         |      1500 MHz      600 MHz    1500 MHz
 CPU2         |      1500 MHz      600 MHz    1500 MHz
 CPU3         |      1500 MHz      600 MHz    1500 MHz

COMMAND         %CPU
mpd              0.5
mount.ntfs-3g    0.1
mympd            0.1
upmpdcli         0.0
kworker/0:2-eve  0.0
rcu_preempt      0.0

The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club.  Achieve astonishing sound
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2, Devialet 440CI, REL sub, ML Electromotion, 2 x Dachshunds