IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

On 5/24/2019 at 1:13 PM, vortecjr said:

We are not recommending a VBUS injector to our customers. The opticalRendu has an improved BUS power circuit compared to the microRendu and the ultraRendu and customers will want to take advantage of it. The recommended approach is to use a different power supply for the opticalRendu.  

For us LPS-1 and LPS1.2 users. 

Why not add a Vbus Power interface in next model 😀 ?

On 5/25/2019 at 10:09 PM, incus said:

One thing I can report back so far is that my unit decidedly did not like the LPS 1.2 as a power supply. The 1.2 was searing hot and the LED stayed red on the back of the oRendu no matter what I tried - and this is without any vBus requirements...

Is this still the case ? Even after using the supplied SMPS that came with it as John suggest ?

1 hour ago, incus said:

Roon Ready

Same I do with almost same issues. 

I hope someone is willing to measure your opticalRendu power draw, as it seems unlikely that all 3 LPS-1.2 is “low current versions”

If you can use another PS temporary, the OR may draw less power after “burning in”. It seems to me mine got more stable over time, but I’m not sure about that yet.

I hopefully know more by Sunday. 

36 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

bassist Nikki Parrott. I've had her latest album for a month or two and have listened to it a number of times.

Which track ?

(I expect album From New York to Paris)

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

FYI

Im pulling the plug on recommending the LPS-1/LPS1.2 for use with the opticalRendu. 

Jesus. I think you’re over reacting.

So far only one person actually have publicly said he has a problem. 

(I’m not following the official recommendation, so my issues may not count 😀 )

Actually, this particular case can be traced back to that unit only. 

I will probably reply some of the above later. 

Just let every know I had the OR run constantly on, and powered by the LPS-1.2 for 4 days now. It (the LPS) was not as hot as before. No problem touching it.

Just started my SU1 which draw 100mA extra Vbus. Will report later if my theory of burning in the OR, also will reduce its power draw. (Meaning system is stable over long period). 

Of cause the OR is also warm, and that has nothing to do with whatever feeds it.

It would be interesting to know how the OR behave with a full VBus DAC at 500mA. Probably hot 😀

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I have two LPS-1.2's I was planning to utilize with an upcoming Optical Rendu system purchase and not being able to makes this a much more expensive way to go. And the LPS series power supplies have been a great value in a high end audio system needing power supplies. Any equally good, and suitable replacements will almost certainly be even more expensive. No one's fault, simply  a consequence related to the impact of the situation as it has become known. 

JC

Don’t let people’s anxiety for a hot power supply stop you from purchase the OR.

Cumputers gets extremely hot inside as well. But since they are inside a bigger case, people isn’t noticing.

If you’re using Vbus power, you will have to use both your LPS-1.2.

I have already requested Ghentaudio to make a Gotham JSSG360 cable similar to this one, but with male Oyaide plug, as I now realize that’s probably the only way to go to avoid the LPS-1.2 to shut off. 

(In my case that can take several hours). 

The SQ from the OpticalRendu is fantastic. I think bass is even more better. 

14 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have been reading some of the posts above and have some clarifications:

1. In regards to the Uptone LPS-1 power supply it was not recommended for use with the opticalRendu. In fact, it is not recommended on any of the Rendu product pages.

2. In regards to the Uptone LPS-1.2 power supply it was recommended for use with the opticalRendu up until a few days ago. It is still recommended for use with our other products.

I have no problem with you not recommending John Swenson Ultracap power supplies. After all you are selling your own power supplies 😀

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

in the 48 hours i had the OR hooked up to my system with an lps-1.2, neither item seemed excessively hot, the sound was good 

Good, we need more of this positive vibes 😀

What is the USB interface ?

On 5/24/2019 at 9:24 AM, Em2016 said:

Yes but my question to JR is if he can buy it, test it and then add to the approved list...

TP-Link stuff is widely available so it would be nice to have an approved option to pair with opticalRendu, if people cannot afford to add the opticalModule...

@Em2016. As promised and expected, I can now confirm that this unit works fine. 

So we should be quite sure, so will similar TP link do. 

Thanks to John S for answering question about what to expect. 

Those that follow the opticalModule thread will notice good news from Jesus as well. 

On 6/3/2019 at 5:04 PM, André Gosselin said:

to one of which an ultrarendu is connected (PS: LPS-1) . The ultrrendu connects over USB to a Moon 780D DAC.

If you’re planning to use the LPS-1 with the opticalRendu, be absolutely sure that  Moon 780D isn’t require any Vbus power. You can probably test this out upfront, by blocking usb power between the two devices, unless the DAC user manual is very clear about this.

It maybe work with Vbus as well, but you should expect to push the LPS-1 into and over its limits. Anything above 100mA you can forget.

Also remember that all previous reports from users before, stats that the LPS-1 and the LPS-1.2 added SQ to any Rendu. 

13 hours ago, TubeLover said:

2) Sonore approved external power supplies

You do not have to follow Sonore recommendations. (It’s not an approval). 

Given that  the USB specifications states up the 500mA Vbus draw, you could in theory get into problem with any supply where capability is below 1,5 A. 

Any power supply on the market will state maximum power draw and Voltage out.

It’s as easy as that.

BUT as probably a majority of USB DAC’s and USB to SPDIF converters draw something from the USB power, you’re highly likely to get into trouble, and for sure Sonore can’t deal with these issues.

Also, since manufacturers only following USB specifications, you normally don’t find any information about if or how much Vbus power is used. (I expect the opticalRendu can feed 500mA)

This is also why it’s a good idea to follow Sonore recommendations. 

8 hours ago, kukiman said:

OR is using SGC 7v supply and turns from red to orange and never green. I know it could mean it’s stuck at having no Internet access?

Can you remove usb interface and tell us what happen with the OR ?

Is this the PS you are using?

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/5v-15v-linear-power-supply-15w?variant=12730870792226

What is attached to USB ?

Or is the OR working also now, after your ethernet issues is fixed ?

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Metnoc said:

I've tested Optical Rendu with Ci power supply and optical module with ifi iPower for roughly a week VS my own sms200ultra with uptone 1.2 power, both with sonore dc power cord and same digital cables, Supra which is a low budget favourite one for me.

I prefer sms/uptone over OR/ci, the OR seems to have better PRaT and a more open soundstage with greater delineation, however more importantly, the sms has a more "dense" or "full" presentation which is of paramount importance for me. Therefore the OR sounds more "high resolution hifi" in a negative sense (as in lots of analysis but not really organic), and sms more like "music". It's a cliche but it holds up in this comparison. 
No doubt, the OR is a good streamer, but not to my liking it seems.

Used both as Roon endpoints.
The dac is a Aqua la scala mk2 with Mullard nos tubes, Entreq grounding boxes, Karan amp and Verity Parsifal speakers.

IMG_0462.jpg

If this shall be a fair comparison, you need to use the same power supply on both streamers. 

Also power settings (7 or 9V) could matter. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, latenz said:

Hi

I think of building a new server with i9 as rooncore and maybe Hqplayer4...now I am asking myself if I should go with an optical Ethernet pcie-card direct to opticalrendu or if the optical module is always suggested ? So it’s Server with jcat Femto Ethernet-Pcie to om and or....

thanks

.....or wait for the optical version of SonicTransporter i7 or i9 😀

(i9 probably not necessary)

On 5/11/2019 at 11:37 PM, vortecjr said:

When we open up sales on the opticalModules this week you will be able to purchase one from the opticalRendu webpage without shipping fees imposed. Any cheaters will have their purchase refunded. 

Isn’t this offer available still for opticalRendu bought early ?

13 hours ago, cat6man said:

fyi...........LPS-1.2 runs my opticalRendu just fine here (YMMV)

also using LPS-1.2 on oM

oR feeds TotalDAC reclocker

Probably because no Vbus power is needed on that DAC. 😀

Are you using 9 or 7V on the oR ?

My system has now been stable for a long time. 
I find 9v sound better. (And more stable as I use 100 mA Vbus power). 

On 7/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, Tihon said:

Hello!

I would like to know more about opticalRendu and 9V PSU. The unit itself is marked as 6-9 VDC, but I`ve read here that 9V is "not recommended" or "not recommended in hot environments". I have Keces P8 PSU. It`s lowest output is 9V (actually display shows 9,1V).

What exactly that "not recommended" 9V will do? I understand how regulators work and opticalRendu will be warmer with 9V than with 7V. And that leads to what? SQ downgrade, shorter unit lifespan, dangerously hot case? Or it is just few degrees warmer and that`s all?

Can I safely use opticalRendu with my 9V PSU, assuming it would be plugged in 24/7?

Thank you.

My opticalRendu sounds better with 9 V 😀

(And i think i know why, but I’m not allowed to post that). 

15 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Okay I’m curious...what is your hypothesis?

@JohnSwenson can explain this better than me, as he has run tests that showed  that most digital components have lower noise or jitter when hotter. And 9V turns some parts of your Rendu hotter. 
I suppose it’s also possible to read something from the manufacturer data sheets.

Of cause, too hot will reduce the life span. But then I think we’re far beyond 60 degrees. 

And none of Johns design is close to that. When people says the LPS-1.2 gets hot as an example, it’s probably not even above 50 degrees. 

image.thumb.gif.d7c70a8b1b1d3427061fb46a87636792.gif

3D1FBF8E-6AB3-404A-ABDD-E8DE9A964803.jpeg

• 6 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:30 PM, vortecjr said:

Do not use a 5V power supply!

Jesus or @JohnSwenson

Can you explain why 9VDC is not recommended for the opticalrendu ?

I think I even read somewhere John stated that you may even get a sonic benefit by using 9V instead of 6 or 7V

I do understand that the uR probably gets hotter at 9V and that the voltages regulators only works a bit harder to “burn off” unnecessary energy in order to reduce the internal voltage needed, but what’s the technical problem with that.

(That people feel or don’t like hot items, is not a technical explanation, but of cause a valid reason those who believe that lower temperatures is good). 

I personally prefer 9V. 

@vortecjr

The 15W SMG PS should produce (15/7) at least 2 amps. Why can’t I use this PS for my opticalrendu ?

(The SU1 that I use, draw low Vbus power) 

I suppose the recommendation for using a 50W PS is based on to be sure to cover all possible Vbus interfaces?

I noticed even Barrow’s Sonore LPS is limited to 1,5A, so I rather save myself some money if I choose the 15W version you’re selling. 

My other option is either Farad or Barrow’s LPS. They seems equally priced.