IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

Oh man, great idea but too rich for this boy (for now). Too bad as I have SFP’s, cable in place already, etc. Will stick with my mR 1.4 for now. Good thing is, in this hobby, those who wait can always find a used one when the next best thing comes out. For now that $ would make a much bigger difference on a new amp. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 3 months later...

The 12" Ghent JSSG Neotech 7N solid 16g OCC I just got is really nice as well after a bit of burn-in (for the opticalModule). Might try making a Vh Audio FEP starquad for the NUC. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 3 weeks later...

It can be boiled down to this: best practice, and best for YOUR ears. Best practice will and should be based on sound science and testing and a higher than average positive random feedback. Your ears are based on your ears, and that's not a bad thing. Right now there are so many f%^*ing permutations of how to set up a streaming network, it makes one long for the days of good old differences in the RCA cables from the stereo to the CD player or turntable. So tune it to how you like it. 

I've found the opticalModule bridge to be nothing short of 100% transformative in my system. But that could be due to many factors, and it may not have as big a difference with higher end gear (or more?) Can't speak to the oR - I'm sticking with my mR 1.4 for now until I spy a killer deal on an ultraRendu.

Oh, I did try an RJ45 transceiver with a single oM and found it had many of the same qualities, but a bit hard and with some glare in the mids. two oM's more natural for my system. They take a couple of weeks to burn in as well. Was really worried about he bass response at first but they've settled in nicely.  

Waiting on my UltraSupply now. Build me a good one @barrows. ;)

Nice. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Kevin Nguyen said:

I have the SGC linear supply with Optical Rendu and they sound amazing. Compare with a cheap wall plug, the SGC linear supply is worth to buy with just around $150. It makes Optical Rendu absolutely to sound more details and lively. 

Kudos for Sonore's support and SVC after sale service that sent me a replacement PSU without any hassle.

Eventually you may want to move up to the UltraSupply. With my microRendu 1.4 it's been nothing but revelatory. Before I was noticing extra details in the instruments, yada yada - now I'm just hearing the instrument itself, if that makes any sense in an abstract way. Makes for a very neutral, fatigue free listen. Takes about 200 hours to really come on song, so to speak. 

I would be curious how the basic SGC supply compares to an LPS-1 and or HDPLEX 100. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

In theory, nothing upstream of the fiber cable should influence the SQ of the opticalRendu wrt network noise. As long as you have a good power supply for your opticalRendu there should be no issue using the optical output on your switch.

Not true even in theory imo. That said, it's correct to get the best power supply for the streamer you can. I recently acquired the new Sonore UltraSupply and it made a huge difference. I also go oM to Om before it and that was a huge leap as well, though i don't think the power supplies have as big of an affect on those as the streamer when used in combination. 

John's 'fingerprint' explanation is a very good one and what I've thought all along. Garbage in - garbage out (or slightly less garbage out). 

• 4 months later...

@sahmen I've asked on this. No difference in hardware other than the silver case. The software serves up Roon and ONLY Roon to RAAT ready devices. I need the Sonicorbiter Bridge app to serve Roon to a non Roon ready device so it was a no go for me. 

My older Naim Unitiqute all-in-one streamer (amp, pre-amp, DAC and streamer) won't accept a Roon signal, so enabling squeezelite in Roon and then using the Bridge app in SonicOrbiter will stream Roon to it. Pretty great. The mR is plugged into the back of a Naim DAC upstairs. Think of it as casting. 

The Unitiqute doesn't have a USB in, only ethernet. 

• 1 month later...

@Ken2020

If you can swing it $ wise, I wouldn't bother with the SBooster and just go straight for the 7V Sonore Power Supply. It's really good, and much much better than the LPS-1 I had powering my microRendu before, and in a quick A/B slightly better than the LPS-1.2 I have powering an opticalModule before it. I believe the LPS-1 won't power the oR. No idea bout the ISO Regen, but I would imagine the oR makes it unnecessary.