IGNORED

Extreme dual PC computer audio setup shootout between AudioLinux and Windows Server 2019

Hi Keetakawee,

Ok I'm potentially interested.

How much is your Windows Ramroot offering?

Is there a trial option?

Is it server only or is there an endpoint option?

How big is the footprint as in how much RAM is needed to run solely in RAM?

Does it support Roon & LMS?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 hour ago, Windows X said:

If you're really interested in building server, please contact me privately. In public forums, I only want to share my experience and insights about computer audio that can be useful.

Hi Keewarakee,

Ok ignore the ramroot part but the rest of my questions stand.

I'm trying to keep an open mind but you posted a review saying WindowsX beats AL in a shootout and I"d like to understand whether I can attempt this same shootout myself.

Please advise on the remainder of my questions?

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

16 minutes ago, Windows X said:

For inquiry about my products, please send me an email and I'll answer your questions in full details. This isn't an appropriate place for me to answer your questions about my products. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Hi Keekatawee,

Sorry but this argument would stand up to scrutiny if it wasn't for the fact your making comments about AL and discussing Piero's pricing. You can't have it both ways.

I'm sorry but my patience is exhausted here and I'm mentally filing your postings a sour grapes. I'm unsubscribing from this thread as I'm out.

Cheers,

Alan

I said I was going to ignore this thread but not when I'm being attacked as a twit, a snowflake or the insinuation that I am either someone with an agenda or worse trolling this thread with my 'ambiguous' questions.

Let's break it down shall we.

I have been in the AL ecosystem since the 2nd of December 2018. That's what, 1 month, 1 week and some loose change. I am not a fanboy, I am not a diehard and I have no agenda. I am however seriously impressed with both Peiro and his work.

That said if something better comes along I reserve the right to jump ship and will do so without apology or hesitation. That's just the audiophile game. My current favourite USB cable is Peters wonderful Lush^2. But same goes. I'll move on if I become convinced there is a better option.

My current setup is an NUC with 16GB RAM (16 more on the way as the 2nd stick did not work and Crucial are replacing it for me) and 1 TB SSD running AL as Roon Server. Along with another NUC with 4GB RAM, no SSD, running AL as Roon Bridge or Squeezelite endpoint.

I posted on here yesterday because as long as the cost was not too prohibitive then I wanted to try WindowsX for myself and do my own comparison. 

My questions were not in the slightest ambiguous. They were also not answered. Let's regroup. In reverse order.

5. Does your product support Roon and LMS?

I assume it's a yes, but before I consider parting with any money I'd like to check. Please explain to me what is so confidential or proprietary that you cannot answer this?

4. How big is the footprint and how much RAM is needed to run solely in RAM?

In fairness this was semi answered but it was a little vague. Some clarity would be great here.

3. Is is Server only or is there an Endpoint option?

As per the description of my stack I'm running a server to endpoint setup and wanted to know if I can do apples to apples or not. Not that this is a deal breaker. But it's a basic question.

Again please tell me why this one is also secretive and cannot be answered on an open forum for the benefit of others wondering the same?

2. Is there a trial option?

Again very reasonable question. I'm happy to pay for a full license if I proceed and make your product my software of choice going forwards. But given I'd like to evaluate it then there is definitely no harm in asking whether you offer a trial option for just that.

If the answer is no then that's fine too. But I fail to see why you cannot answer this publicly either. It's a very basic question.

1. How much is your Windows Ramroot offering?

You answered that you do not support Ramroot. That's fine. Although you took the opportunity to throw in another insinuation about running in RAM having 'too much glare'. No one else in the NUC AL discussions is commenting on this but ok.

This is the one question where I can understand you wanting to take it to PM. But I called out the double standard that you are happy to discuss Peiro's pricing publicly but need an NDA to reveal your own.

The context is that not only did you discuss AL pricing but you then lobbed in disparaging remarks like "good for the money". Sorry but this is why people are attacking you on these forums. You seem to be playing a double game of lobbing insulting remarks and insinuations about your competitor but then hiding behind "let's take it offline" when asked about your own offering.

So no, Keewatakee, you did not:

10 hours ago, Windows X said:

I did all I could to assist him with ambiguous requests

You repeatedly ducked simple questions.

I am not an AL fanboy. I was genuinely interested in trying your software if the cost wasn't too high. But I am no closer to understanding whether your software works for me or not because you ducked the questions time and time again.

As for you @Solstice380 - you owe me an apology. I was acting in good faith and asking reasonable questions. You attacked me with personal insults for no good reason.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks @Solstice380,

We're good and I get where you were coming from but that's not what I was doing.

Cheers,

Alan