IGNORED

NAS Newbie needs recommendation

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, BilboAlaska said:

Thanks. So far I am just streaming Tidal to my home hifi on an iPad hard wired through a dac and to the amp. I considered switching to an iMac so I don't have to constantly be charging the iPad. My home computer is too far from the music and is shared with other people so i need a stand alone system.

M

You should purchase the Apple CCK. Then you can charge continues. Works with any iDevices. And no restrictions. Assuming you’re using USB interface to your DAC. 

Add a trail Roon to your computer and control Roon from another iDevice. Or whatever you prefer. 

If you like it, you could consider purchasing Roon lifetime $499.

If you’re after a NAS, purchase a used Qnap. Nothing else. And not to old. That NAS can held Roon as well. You can still use an iDevice with CCK as endpoint. Even a broken glass item. They normally sold very cheap. Excellent SQ 😀 

15 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

Thank you for the information. I will look into it. I had heard of the small green but didn't know how it was used. Cheers. 

You may find some inspiration here:

You don’t necessarily need a NAS. Depending on the size of your library you may be good with a SSD inside the SonicTransporter.

On the other side, if you purchase a powerful enough Qnap, you do not need a SonicTransporter, but of cause you can do both. If I had to choose, I go for the SonicTransporter. (I have both)

Your Altair also can have storage, but I don’t know if yours have, or how that storage integrate with Roon, or if it can at all.