IGNORED

Understanding Digital Sampling

MichaelFremer

Question

I guess I'm not understanding how digital sampling works.

Each sample is a measurement of the signal's instantaneous amplitude and assigned the closest value from the quantizing scale, right?

Nyquist says you have to sample at a minimum of twice the rate of your highest frequency, right?

So suppose you have a sign wave at a frequency exactly half the sampling rate, which satisfies the Nyquist requirement. That means each wave cycle is sampled twice. It also means every cycle is sampled at the same two points. For example, if the sampler happens to be sampling as the cycle crosses the the X-axis then every sample will be 0 (or whatever value the quantizing scale assigns to that point). So your PCM stream will be 0,0,0,0... That's enough data to specify the frequency, but how do you get the amplitude out of it? A wave at a given frequency passes through 0 twice every cycle, regardless of the amplitude. How does knowing my wave hits 0 at every sample tell me anything about how high the wave peaks in between?

Not MF from Stereophile 

8 answers to this question

@esldude I like your answer and the link you provide. Both are clear and informative.

I just have one nit to pick. You say (with respect to FS=2B):

6 hours ago, esldude said:

While any other timing away from the zero point will let you sample and reconstruct the same signal with correct amplitude. 

And that is not true. You assume that sin(2πft) and cos(2πft) are the only 2 options. Those are actually rather unlikely, since the actual signal can be any of the infinite number of linear combinations of the two: a*sin(2πft) + b*cos(2πft), with the ratio b/a allowing calculation of the phase (phase=atan(b/a)). But since you don't know the phase, you can't reconstruct the signal at FS=2B ; you know nearly nothing about the amplitude or phase.

The only information you get at FS=2B is:
If your values are all zeroes, then either your amplitude is zero (a = b = 0) or the phase is zero (b = b/a = 0)
-otherwise-
Your values are non-zero, which means both amplitude and phase are non-zero (b≠0).

Summary: Sample only at FS>2B!

Wow. Thank you so much for those detailed answers! I stumbled into that problem while I was trying to figure out what the sample stream would look like at 0 dBFS. My intuition first told me it would be 32768,-32768,32768,-32768.... A wave nearing 0 dBFS would be 32767,-32767..., etc. Then with more thinking I realized I had that wrong.

There could be many, many different sample streams that equal 0 dBFS. Any set of samples that describes a wave that peaks at 32,768 (or whatever the highest value on the quantizing scale is) would qualify even though none of the samples are 32,768 because none of them happen at the instant the wave peaks. So most of the time no human could just glance at a sample stream and, without calculating, see the wave is at 0 dBFS. This also explains how a clipped wave can be described, even though any individual sample word cannot go beyond the peak value. A wave that extends beyond the peak values can still be accurately described by samples taken during the parts of the wave that are within the scale.

Do I have that right?

Not MF from Stereophile 

13 hours ago, SoundAndMotion said:

@esldude I like your answer and the link you provide. Both are clear and informative.

I just have one nit to pick. You say (with respect to FS=2B):

And that is not true. You assume that sin(2πft) and cos(2πft) are the only 2 options. Those are actually rather unlikely, since the actual signal can be any of the infinite number of linear combinations of the two: a*sin(2πft) + b*cos(2πft), with the ratio b/a allowing calculation of the phase (phase=atan(b/a)). But since you don't know the phase, you can't reconstruct the signal at FS=2B ; you know nearly nothing about the amplitude or phase.

The only information you get at FS=2B is:
If your values are all zeroes, then either your amplitude is zero (a = b = 0) or the phase is zero (b = b/a = 0)
-otherwise-
Your values are non-zero, which means both amplitude and phase are non-zero (b≠0).

Summary: Sample only at FS>2B!

Yes you are correct.  I didn't think that one thru. 

If we move slightly away from the zero crossing it would reproduce as a small amplitude sine wave.  Move further away and it will reproduce as a larger amplitude sine.  Move 90 degrees away from zero crossing and it would reproduce as the proper amplitude sine.  

Due to real world filters we have no choice other than FS>2B anyway.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 hours ago, MichaelFremer said:

So I guess a human could look at a sample stream and, seeing many very high numbers, realize immediately that the signal is hot and possibly clipped, but without calculating he could not determine more than that. Right?

You can have 0 db FS samples that describe a peak above that.  If the following analog stage isn't designed for it you may clip it.  That is called intersample overs.  The peak of the wave is over the peak of the samples.  

Benchmark has a paper explaining it. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/intersample-overs-in-cd-recordings

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.