IGNORED

MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison

I also preferred D, it sounded more natural, less processed, especially on sibilants. I assume C is MQA.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.

6 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Well of course - one doesn't have to know anything about math to know what one hears, what one likes and dislikes, and to enjoy music. I didn't mean to imply otherwise - sorry if I did.

But my point is that one does have to have some regard for the scientific principles and mathematical concepts in order to be able to participate meaningfully in conversations about how observed data might correlate to what we hear. If you have no interest in why D sounds better to you than C, that's cool - honestly, not being snarky. But if someone were, for example, to claim that C sounds worse because of ultrasonic noise MQA adds, then one would need to have some basic theory of how or why that ultrasonic noise might be the cause of sibilance or reduced depth or texture in some of the sounds one hears. (In that case, I think one would have a tough time making the argument that ultrasonic noise was the cause.)

I believe I am participating meaningfully in this conversation. How MQA works is for audio engineers to figure out. Whether it has financial promise, that is for marketers to determine

I don't need to know why MQA sounds better or worse than non-MQA, but I would like to know whether it does. I haven't bothered to download an MQA software upgrade for my iFi DAC, because I don't have any MQA files or source.

Honestly, I don't see this technology going anywhere, even if it is an improvement on what we have now. I was just curious about MQA so I listened to the provided files. I don't know at this point whether C or D was MQA. The answer will guide my opinion of MQA going forward.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

22 hours ago, manisandher said:

If I put up a different hirez/MQA pair, you'd be able to identify which is which, right? Let me know if you're up for it.

Mani.

Is this for anyone? I can't find these.

41 minutes ago, manisandher said:

I'm travelling for work right now, but will put a new pair of hirez/MQA files up over the weekend.

Yes, anyone will be able to have a go.

Mani.

Thanks. Would an ABX be useful?