IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

There is no middle ground. I just listened to Hilary Hahn on Tidal MQA and now it sounds sublime. How I got here? I pretty much stopped googling Roon / HQPlayer setting suggestions and started using my ears. To me, this sounds awesome. But please share with me your thoughts.

Please note, my DAC in this case, is an ifi Micro iDSD BL. It's connected to my ifi Pro iCAN amp (pic included) and is fully MQA capable.

1. Forget HQPlayer. Just use Roon and set the DSP and all the DSP settings to 'Off'.

2. On the Micro iDSD BL, set the Power Mode on the Micro iDSD to 'Normal, Filter to 'Standard' (no doubt there will be further improvement once ifi rolls out GTO-filter firmware for MAC).

3. Flick on both the xBASS and 3D.

(This is the first time have ever enjoyed 3D on and it was exceptional)

4. Other ROON settings pictured.

I might add, the Micro's MQA capabilities have me pining for ifi to release the Pro iDSD MQA-enabled firmware. I own both units and I'm just about holding my breath with anticipation knowing what it's little brother just delivered!

ifi iCAN Pro Micro iDSD BL _DSF0895 W2000.jpg

Roon Pg1.png

Roon Pg2.png

Roon Pg3.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some might consider 4:20am a little unusual to provide feedback on the MQA firmware upgrade just released by ifi Audio. It was a combination of constraints, waiting for a friend with a PC to run the firmware (MAC firmware might be a little way off, so I'm told) and the All Blacks were playing England, winning in a thriller. As ifi explains in the firmware release, all good things take time. And having just watched a masterclass of leadership on the field let me tell you as a cellist that one song in to my new firmware with the ifi Pro iDSD, connected to my Pro iCAN to my Denon AVR-4520 and GS60 speakers, I have just heard a masterclass of sound. Listen to Anne-Sophie Mutter, Trondheim Soloists: Concerto for Violin and Strings in E, Op.8, No.1, R.269 "La Primavera" - Vivaldi: Concerto For Violin And Strings In E, Op.8, No.1, RV 269 "La Primavera" - track, 2. Largo. (Link provided). The sweetest sounding violin. Simply beautiful. Now to watch the Wallabies play Wales. We can only hope :)

https://tidal.com/track/77697109

16 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

So convince me 40 people in Australia  and New Zealand care about this piece of music in MQA.

I invited a couple of Polish friends over with similar musical tastes, both playing professionally. All I can say is one friend pointed at her arms and in somewhat broken English tried to express she had goosebumps. I doubt impressing 40 people would be a challenge. It's beautiful.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:26 AM, Indydan said:

Would that be you Peter Veth?

I must just be his doppelgänger. For those curious, Peter Veth has previously written -- in Stereophile, no doubt among other places, https://www.stereophile.com/content/meridians-mqa-one-listeners-impression?fbclid=IwAR2_VmJVGdGGhMpX2kwUzw0QxcZhbgZftxb0aen_AgCvyWRQ-m0-QO00Xjc#VsKJUxPLDiGwfxbg.97 -- "In Audio High's exceedingly dry listening room, we began with an 24/88.2k file of Hilary Hahn playing what I believe was a movement from J. S. Bach's Violin Concerto No.2 in E, BWV1042. As compelling as the untreated hi-res file sounded, I literally laughed at the difference when the MQA version began. Not only did it feel as though a veil had been lifted, with far more color to the sound, but instruments also possessed more body. With more meat on dem bones, I also noticed less of a digital edge on the violin. I've heard Hahn in concert several times, and this was the closest to real I've ever heard her violin sound on recording". [emphasis mine].

I was unaware Peter Veth and I were of the same opinion -- in fact I had to google it today to better respond to your post, but I listened to it that track last night unaware of his view. For what it's worth, listening to it last night it was so beautiful I cried. Reading his view later was therefore no surprise. Make of that what you will.

Track link attached:https://tidal.com/track/93724709

On 11/14/2018 at 5:36 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Those 40 people are a thousandth of a percent of the streaming market in Australia and New Zealand. 

I'm not sure how to best respond to your point? I can only offer you my view and my experiences. Those who have heard my system are bedazzled by it. The reaction is unlike any recorded music listening experience I have shared. But does it really surprise anyone that with the popularity of itunes and Spotify that when it comes to hires music the overwhelming majority is most likely to miss out?

On 11/16/2018 at 2:51 AM, Rt66indierock said:

Those of us who listen to live music regularly would not consider a recording to be especially close to a live event. 

I have played a cello since I was 5 years old, sometimes up to six hours per day. I gained a first class honours in music at 19 years old.

How much live music have you listened to?

On 11/16/2018 at 12:50 AM, jabbr said:

so beautiful I cried” etc and those descriptions could be just as easily made by someone listening to earbuds in an iPhone

You must be beta testing some future iPhone earbuds that I'm unaware of.

Must admit,  when I listen to non-MQA files using my ifi Micro iDSD BL DAC/Amp playing Tidal on my iPhone through my Denon AH-D7200 headphones they sound ok. But there have been no tears.