IGNORED

Cow Music

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Polish Cow is always a great way to return to topic... which at present is the inherent bovinity of the pedal steel guitar!.. which is simply one way of demonstrating the Inner Truth and Greatness of Western Swing as the Quintessence of Cow Music! And Bob Wills as the embodied personification of that greatness.

Steel Guitar Players - Western Swing & Country Steel Guitarists

Is the "Wills is King" Western Swing thread officially redundant? :~)

32 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

sorry, intended to address that on that thread. After your posts, for which I am grateful, I realized that I lacked the tenacity, enthusiasm and full tilt curiosity to do any kind of thorough, exhaustive search into the full breadth of the Western Swing sub-genre. As a novice there is not enough that presently resonates with me when digging into the archives. So pleez help yerself to that if you wish. The approach here is more of a free and easy natural grazing on what appear to this novice, for one reason or another, as juicy tidbits to chew on, randomly and at leisure while wandering freely on the open range of the pastures of musical plenty, sans gravitas.

a little moon music 🤠

Nezwave sounds like a 45 played at 33! Plus I'm suffering catastrophic thread confusion!

Sure - I'll locate my Western Swing Library updates in the new thread. I hope you'll join in if ever you're overcome with inspiration.

image.jpeg.e48fe6877d90e26d174c930c9df83169.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

"California" by Liz Phair from 'Juvenilia' (1985)

Okay, this guy walks into a bar
No, I'm just, I'm just fuckin' with you. I'm kiddin'.
Na, there's this, this young bull and this old bull
And they're standin' on top of a hill.
And I tried to tell you before that that's why I left California.
So they're standin' on top of this hill, right?
And they're looking out over a pasture full of cows.
Whole fuckin' pasture.
And the young bull turns to the old bull and he goes,
"I got this really good idea."
And the old bull's like, "Yeah?"
"Hey, " he's, he's like "Yeah. Yeah I got this really good idea.
Let's run down that hill and fuck one o' those cows."
And the old bull just looks at him. You know, he's just lookin' at him,
He's like, "Look, I got a better idea."
The young bull's like, "Oh yeah? What's your fuckin' brilliant idea?"
And the old bull goes
And the old bull goes, "Let's walk down that hill
And fuck all o' those cows. Dig?"
You know like he ain't been in town long or something, I don't know.

"Girly-Sound" [bootlegs 1991] Version

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, lmitche said:

So at some point in 1993, during a business trip to London, I had a free night and decided to wander around Camdentown. As I am walking down the street there is just terrific, original music playing, with an angry female in the lead. I walked to the building's entrance. As it was the middle of the performance, the bouncer let me in for free. I had no idea who I was listening too, but realized the lead singer was an American like me.  The set finished.  I walked to the stage and introduced myself and asked her name.  It as Liz Phair. This was the overseas debut of "Exile in Guyville". She was charming, told me that she was from Chicago, and gave me a demo CD.

What a talent!

This of course is the year of angry rock and roll women, as Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill and the "You Oughta Know" track was released. I often wonder what would have happened if Liz Phair's timing had been a little different, 

I am so jealous. I bought 'Guyville' when it came out (vinyl, naturally) and have listened to it many times. A few tracks are in my top favourite tunes ever. Lately I have been filling all the gaps in my Liz Phair collection, and getting to appreciate the person - and the layers in the music. There's a big thread about her at stevehoffman.

May I say - she isn't angry to me. Yes there are big stories. But I regard her as - original. I would hesitate long and hard before comparing her with "angry" young women of these days. Not that I know any!

Thanks so much for the story. Camden Town you say. You just walked in. Spoke to her after the set. Did I say I am jealous. 👩 x