IGNORED

Ambient, Psybient, Psydub, not Goa and what more not

PeterSt

8 hours ago, PeterSt said:

More below you will find the list of artists which do the thang for me, and with some basic interest in this type of music, you will recognize at least what it is not. And well, isn't it difficult to describe (apart from just showing the list).

Yes!

Peter, such a big & complex post, with such ambitious goal, to try and communicate a 'quality of music' that resonates positively in your mind! x-D

Since I also am big fan of (my slice of) electronic music & have my particular 'quality of music' resonators (also in lists) I accept challenge to try and get to know yours better. But I think by nature is difficult problem, people are complex, idiosyncratic, with very different experiences, & deep nature of music perception poorly understood (if at all).

1st I point to previous thread with many posts & lists some of my favored electronica artists & other discussion (mostly sub-genres), so we connect more info to this net.

(must confess probably too hard on @jabbr back then :$ )

To your question (quest?) I know maybe 25-30% of the artists listed, plus 10-15% have heard of, but not recall sound, or probably have from many compilation albums (good for discovery, like you). So not yet comfortable at having hint of what tickles your mind. You can see some intersecting artists in my linked lists, if is helpful.

No surprise to me that I know so few of your preferred artists, seems almost characteristic of this genre. Is so easy to make the music now, so many enter and test their creativity, so much music is produced by so many, and no one can know it all. But not to surrender because the journey alone is worthwhile, & there are enough well known artists & albums to have basis for common understanding.

So, I ask if you could choose, maybe couple dozen, specific tracks that best show(sound) the essence of what all other choices represent in your 'ears'.  Maybe some from our intersecting artists, also some unknown to me. Once I have listened to those selections I hope to get closer to the essence of PeterSt's electro 'quality of music' ^_^

I named the general folder where this music is put "Ambient". But hey, ambient as such it is not.

could be called Psybient in general. But it isn't that either.

Down-tempo then. Well, better already, but also not quite.

Goa. Sort of, but just because it is the base of what I am talking about.

Back to ambient ? -. But then again, not -

scratching included (Psytrance Scratch)

Indian instruments because the roots seem always to be there (like Goa is).

(like New Age mweh))

soundscape is outer space here

High level approach by genre maybe not as fruitful as specific examples, but worth a look. All sub genres you list have qualification that they not enough to describe the 'quality' you wish to express, so that is some data, but not enough for me yet. A piece of the puzzle.

I can express my preferred electro 'quality' maybe more specifically in genre ( but also have my exceptions :) ).

Like best - Downtempo, Chill/lounge, Ambient

Good - Trance, Space, Dub, Electro(Jarre, Froese, Schulze, Vangellis, &c.)

Not-so-good - House, Techno, World

Note I use genre names of regular usage & my own interpretation, because no standards exist, and subject can be as divergent as human perversity.

the list comprises of 168 artists but with the notice that it is not always easy to obtain the artists, which often is in a special scene (like Bandcamp is that, and a lot indeed comes from there). What I mean is, a lot is on collection albums, though mixed / produced by gurus in that scene,

Did you type list, or have some automation to help ?

Bandcamp is great! Sourced some music there. Also iTunes (got over aversion to lossy AAC for some single tracks), Discogs (international!), FYE, & local used record/cd stores (big music town!). eBay works too, but not my habit.

Shopping for music is joyous part of hobby (life?)

Enough for now. Thx for great thread  :)

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

I listen to a variety of music types both for enjoyment and testing. I tend to use sounds that I’ve heard acoustically eg vocals, and unamplified instruments which have a real reference, but also electronic.

I also use well recorded, fully non-electrified music sounds for real testing of playback. Then assume all else will be as true as it could be. Electronic, studio, sounds can be day-to-day indicators, but must be tested against 'absolute', IMO.

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

I wonder whether a listening impression on something electronic is “better” in a subjective sense when not perfectly accurate eg when even harmonics are added or tubes, the sound can be very pleasing.

Good questions, subject. But for new thread please :)

31 minutes ago, rando said:

In the Pink Floyd on Asteroids category this came to mind

Thx! Echos favorite of all PF for me, & remix by Peter Kruder of Kruder & Dorfmeister(K&D) & Peace Orchestra! Listening as typing.  'K&D Sessions' 2-disk recording required electro (deep downtempo) listening IMO  ^_^ But artist only earned (~) from Peter?

ps. most of my electro library is lossless ripped from Cd media, found some full-res d/l online(free or cheap), but only recently allowed some lossy (AAC) single song d/l's. Not as bad as feared, but not as critical of sound vs music quality here.

12 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

You don't happen to have a picture of the/a cover, please ? Or the literal text to look for ? (artist or album name)

"K&D Sessions" B|

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_K%26D_Sessions

https://www.amazon.com/K-D-Sessions-KRUDER-DORFMEISTER/dp/B00000G257  (1 @ $5.40 used!)

edit- Oops, moot point.

Working on responses to your bigger posts, while deal with other stuff O.o

On September 9, 2018 at 4:13 PM, PeterSt said:

All I can do is point to something like the opposite ... do NOT press play yet :

Envision my explicit telling that Clox is about glockenspiel and bells to the most clarity you can imagine.

Also envision that I promise the most "drive" in music possible (think upbeat now) and that it sweeps up and up and up until you burst. Now press play.

Again, you make me crazy with 'opposite' inversion…  O.o  Not understand, but move on-

I read post, then listen to embedded YT video (nice images) on terrible PC speakers. Uh, ok.

Then download YT mp3 audio file, xfer to library. Listen to mp3 thru ‘ordinary’ iTunes system on main rig. Ok. but what is big deal? Then reboot to best sounding (but some PITA) SDcard system. Listen for while to adjust ears to recent speaker floating fix/upgrade. But mine is not full, up-to-date Phasure system, so?

Then listen to CLOX again, listen thru couple of times. Better now, little familiar.  Ok song structure, timbres, rate track 3 Stars (‘would listen again’). Liked big, Powerful, rubbery(?) bass line in middle (over fizzy beat), but "drive" escapes me? Hear clock-like effect in beginning, then bells die out, to return later :/

Always like bells & similar, prefer timbre of percussion to most others, but not hear quality you say (?). Maybe my old ears, but think hear better recently. Still, whenever listening to those parts, memory of early spring walk through my town, pops into head. Was windy, blustery, but gentle. I stop in front of nice little house with 4 big(~55cm) wind chime sets hung along front porch & 3 smaller(~35cm) ones at side. Stood for maybe 10-15 minutes hearing most beautiful natural symphony I ever hear, big stupid smile on face! (no electronics! no humans!)

Do these reports mean anything to you? Not sure what you seeking here?

Later :) 

47 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

On Tycho ...   No

For Tycho, suggest ‘Sunrise Projector’ track (in my Best playlist - but not for SQ)

Other notes to catchup with misc. artists, tracks-

Find Thievery Corporation promising but boring :(  Only 1 favorite (Lebanese Blonde) from 3+ albums. But live video via @rando is better (often heard difference of studio vs. live!)

The Cineamatic Orchestra - ‘All That You Give” in one of my ‘Demo’ lists (well known tracks for SQ evaluation), so start to see your SQ orientation in choices (Burnout). I sense a ’sparkily’ quality to this music/sound.  Overall quality of instrument sound (synth, electric, acoustic), reasonable, if not natural, soundstage, like that. Getting close?

Suggest African Head Charge - ‘Dinosaur’s Lament’ (SQ for Peter!) (bass like bursts of living wind, delicious floating shifting jangly metal things) deep & sparkly  :P

FYI, Everything But the Girl (ETBTG) - ‘Like the Deserts Miss the Rain’ album all favorite remixes chosen by band, heavy electronic components to fine (Alternative) songs (a few instrumentals). one of my 'Albums of Year'!

Still sampling some new things, but time to slow down some? o.O

On September 11, 2018 at 9:25 PM, PeterSt said:

If you are not fed up with it ... how many of the bells (like in tolling bells) can you hear throughout the track ? Thus hits of the bell, I mean.

Btw, I counted them while listening through speakers, and in a setup which does NOT emphasize the mid, which is quite crucial here (no, it is super crucial, but alas).

Ok, last night listen to mp3 CLOX again & count bell strikes. I count up to 45 until close to track end & many strikes happen together, losing count :( 

Found Clox on BandCamp & decide to buy Pan Pan Electric ‘About Time’ album for lossless (ALAC) files (also got Zero Cult  ‘Art of Harmony’!). (all this on 'home' system, use sneaker net to move music files to 'music' system)

Had to reboot to ‘ordinary’ music system to process new music files into library (plus ones found thru this thread :) ). So want to rate some of new stuff, before Startup (reboot) to ‘quietest’ system again, to hear uncompressed sound in best conditions. Probably tonight & will report back with impressions then. 

Maybe you overlooked this post with some suggestions & comments for you-

54121-ambient-psybient-psydub-not-goa-and-what-more-not

(ps. why post editor not embed CA post? Never give choice like before :( )

On September 11, 2018 at 10:04 PM, PeterSt said:

if I change something already in XXHighEnd settings, would you believe that a track like this can come across as never heard before ? No, you wouldn't believe that.

Now listen to Deep Forest (it's in my list)

1-  Of course I believe you! See plenty of evidence for such things & no reason not trust you here. 

But, Audirvana+ iZotope settings make me crazy now, so XXHighEnd, HQPlayer, and such not for me (even if worked on Mac). Is multiple dependent variables that is problem. Unwanted frustration with endless tweaking, temptation of nirvana, critical listening workload, & usual poor results; like attempt to adjust old color TV (from back) without proper procedure & tools >:(

Sorry, but that is just me, not way I enjoy hobby ^_^

2-  1st ‘Deep Forest’ was 1992 ‘Album of year’ for me :D So significant music for me for long time. I put in ‘Alternative’ genre (like Art of Noise, Delirium, DCD, ETBTG, Enigma, Laika, Portishead, &c.).

Think way I absorb music, SQ is part of pluses & minuses, but not focused on, or preferred above other characteristics that push my ‘Like’ buttons (bass, timbre, phrasing, structure, arrangement, &c.) ;)

On September 11, 2018 at 10:04 PM, PeterSt said:

So the more or most difficult sounds, are for me the sheer reason to have it in the list. I mean, you hear a synthesizer or you hear space. You hear bells or you don't hear them at all or not sufficiently enough or nor clear enough etc.

-

know how a melody can emerge just because of the emphasis to a frequency range. This is also how I told in my previous post that the count I did on the bell tolling was with a setup not emphasizing the frequency(s)  where the bell plays (say normal mid area). This is super crucial because it tells you how often you can hear the bell toll.

Working on reply for PeterSt ‘essay’ on electronica as test for audio system SQ which demands care & thought. Also revisions- write, rearrange, erase, write- so pieces from different times-

Not yet experience whole ‘melody’ emerge from ‘Clox’ from unmasking enough noise, veils, or ?, but long hear improved SQ change subtle things which alter perception of musical message & relationships. Perhaps different expectations of music?

Since last post ignoring 'Clox' to play familiar 'demo' tracks & hear sound different then before speaker ‘floating’ upgrade. Not say are different recording, but communicates new things, not heard before, so different like that. New details, new subtleties, new relationships exposed. When speaker floating degraded & then grounded, midrange disappointing. Now hearing over time (my style) show positive & negative in vocals, lyrics (not talk bass!).  So progress, but something backwards too, not yet known, maybe something unmasked.

Understand idea of achieving new plateau of resolution, built of many improvements, all thru chain of parts of playback machines. But not know where my plateau vs yours? What I hear is better then all before, so not unhappy, & continue slow progress.

Also sure that subject is not ‘frequency balance’, but that is vocabulary most audiophiles (only) know to put listening experiences into words to communicate. Lack of good shared words for very subtle effects encountered at higher levels of resolution difficult enough without troll mocking. Also see some similarity with your ‘plateau’ story & Franks mystery tweaks story, but must Ignore him after read same shallow story, too many times :(

Was bored of ‘Clox’ track, but listened one more time yesterday. Noticed clearly single struck chime, mixed with ‘shaken(?)’ multiple (smaller?) chimes. Familiar simple structure flowed nicely, but not any special quality to me.

Still like big ‘rubbery’ bass (even better turned up little over normal level ;) ). When heard on quietest system, mp3 file bass reach out like fat tongue almost to me. Redbook file bass reach out & envelope me with smile. On ‘ordinary’ system bass Ok, not remarkable.

Now done with Clox, but listening to rest of ‘About Time’ album & enjoying :)

So please name another example track for me to hear into PeterSt sound!  

On September 13, 2018 at 11:08 PM, PeterSt said:

Well, if you look at the covers you can already see how it does not fit all of the others (observing covers really helps)

-

a Santa (Sinterklaas, which is not Christmas Santa) surprise, and it comprised of such a box of 10 or so rows of 3 (?) dials, and when the right combination was dialed in, the box opened and the present came forward.

Oh, yes, covers can be very good clue! Good catch B|

The CinderClaus who give coal lumps to bad children ?  :P

Not want to think of possible combinations of 10! x 3! x ?!  horror!

Thread informs me that I not know PSY--- genres much at all - oops :o

Have comments on recent electro suggestions here-

46345-will-bad-times-make-good-music

(post editor bugs strikes again)

• 1 month later...

Peter,

On September 30, 2018 at 7:08 AM, PeterSt said:

So ... what was this thread about ? right. About all the sound elements which is in this music genre of psy and dub and not goa and what more not etc. You can't do it with Jazz. But when this not-goa etc. genre works out all the way and more and more tracks go to the Demo folder, you are ready for all the Jazz in the world. And Classical. But also Rock. And maybe even Metal which is again quite difficult. On that matter, The Beastie Boys - Ill Communication comes to mind

Sorry, Beastie Boyz not work for me :S I like many genres in music, many tolerable, some not. Will not be like George G & make stupid value judgements, but will not tolerate some genres for personal consumption.

Punk, Metal, Rap, Opera, C&W, Free Jazz, are top of list.

No thank you!

On October 26, 2018 at 2:33 AM, PeterSt said:

play Clox again and just to show how much this kind of music has all kinds of stuff hidden and how it can always sound new, after some "system change".

Ok, played again, but in 'ordinary' system (no SD card quietness or OS 'lobotomy' script), & of course sound different. But not focus on Clox tricks, instead listened to whole album with new ears & enjoy experience  -_- Also listen to Evans 'Waltz' tracks since think mine is rip of 'good' version & qualities stand out even on less resolving system (all hardware same just different software & bus).

Enough with Clox. I get SQ testing function of ‘Demo’ tracks. I have ‘Demo’ lists too for same use. Idea of detecting emergent phenomena is old category of listening techniques for me.

Real curiosity is what electronic (or ?) music you like best just to enjoy favorite music listening, even if SQ not best? Examples should be easy.

One day I listened to 5-6 PsyTrance inet radio streams to hear genre in natural way for me (another day try Goa). Now get it better & see is higher BPM then my usual. OK but does not resonate in my bones B|

From you reply to @Le Concombre Masqué now see (dig!) your thinking & journey, on redbook vs hi-res. Also had bad results ripping from DVDA & surprises at redbook files SQ improvements.

(Thx, like mix of languages too!).

Not interested in listening for weeks now. Inet radio sound so good & is no bother.

Not interested in writing to top-down troll forum for weeks now too.

ps. Peter, please stop setting “Off Topic” flag on own posts! Is abuse of system & dilutes effectiveness as rare forum feedback mechanism. TIA