IGNORED

Simple Stereo Amp that Accepts Optical Input

Apologize if this is a repeat question from earlier posts. I'm looking for advice on a simple stereo amplifier that will accept an optical input. I am using several Airport Express units around my house and want to use the optical out but would like to avoid massive receivers all over the house. In some cases I'm just powering a set of nice bookshelf speakers and want a simple power solution along the lines of of Pyle PCA3 but would prefer something that will handle the optical in. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

I don't know of any amp with digital input at the Pyle price level. Firestone Audio seem to have some interesting stuff though, including integrated dac/amps. I haven't heard them but they do seem to crop up with +ve reviews. (Further up the ladder Naim UnitiQute and Cyrus 8xpd would be obvious candidates to audition).

Thanks everyone. Took a look at both the Peachtree and Firestone. Peachtree in particular is exactly what I'm looking for. Guess I better start saving up...

Seems crazy to me that there aren't more manufacturers offering optical ins (both to simple stereo amps and to powered speakers) given the obvious shift toward streaming music using Airport Express and Airtunes.

Thanks again.

The optical digital toslink has to connect to a digital to analogue converter. So it cannot go directly into a conventional AMP. Instead, you find them on integrated units (like the Peachtree) and on stand-alone DACs (most people here have those, which usually are quite high-end and cost more than the whole Peachtree integrated DAC/preamp/Amp combo.

My Zeppelin has an optical in, but most other stand-alone things like that (including the Zeppelin mini and Bowers and Wilkins MM1 speakers) take USB input, as it is more universal than optical.

I just upgraded my computer system by getting rid of a Sony receiver, cd player and Bose speakers and bought a Nova and Dynaudio Excite 16 speakers and just love it - the sound is lush and deep. I don't have unlimited funding and this system met my requirements for high-end sound without causing death threats from my wife and son.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Nuforce makes an integrated amp/dac that might work. The posts and comments to this thread raise something I have been thinking about. Pretty much all the recommendations tend to be about smaller (and typically very high end companies). But there are receivers and some cd players that also have digital inputs. I'm in the market for a blu ray player and I've seen a few, for example, that seem to do a pretty fair job with digital music as well. I'm curious. Aren't the large AV manufacturers going to start releasing more equipment that can handle digital music given that computer based servers are going mainstream?

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

At least there's Harman/Kardon HK990. Very flexible machine.

It has high quality DAC built-in, with two optical and two coaxial inputs, as well as DSP for digital room correction and supports cross-overs for two subwoofers. Power amp section is very powerful stereo amp while preamp section contains also MM/MC phono stages. Plus ADC for DSP as well as separate codec (ADC/DAC) for tape output.

Another similar device is NAD M2 amp, a little less functionality.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Sweedish manufacturer XTZ make a quite highly rated stereo amp with DAC.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have been looking into the need for a simple amplifier for this application for over a year. What I have come up with is a choice of how to design it, but I do not have the ability to make it.

If anyone is interested this is the line up I would propose

- style, vertical square tube matching the new Apple TV

- SPDIF only input at up to 24/96, OK so the Apple TV today only supports 16/48 max, but one can hope...

- chips to use, TORX147 - WM8805 - WM8742 - hi end Op Amp for filters - Hypex class D amp modules. Non switching power supply.

- target is to have virtually DC to above 45kHz bandwidth.

Price around $600.

Sorry if this is a bit technical, but I do believe that we have to be aware of the best in semiconductors to start to chose DACs and amplifiers.

If anyone is interested to persue this idea, contacf me.

I am also look for a simple stereo amp to put speakers in various places in my house. The nearest thing I can find is the Samsung HT-WS1R Soundbar system with a wireless subwoofer. The soundbar takes in optical input and sends it wirelessly to the subwoofer.

I have something very similar for my tv, except it is made by vizio. It actually sounds really good, for the TV. (I have a Samsung TV, so I checked out the Samsung speaker option, but I think they have trouble making speakers.) When I inadvertently use it instead of my stereo speakers, I am reminded that this isn't a great option. Something like the Zeppelin, which takes optical in, might be a better option.

For that one (Vizio), you can get the soundbar without the wireless woofer with optical in at Costco for about $80.