IGNORED

Sharon Jones @ 88.2

sharon-jones.jpgHey guys - HDtracks just made available Sharon Jones & The Dap-kings album I Learned The Hard Way at 24/88.2. I originally heard some of these songs on NPR and purchased the redbook CD. My favorite track is #5 Money. I recommend giving it a shot at any sample rate.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD823134001923

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Even tho I have the CD already, I downloaded this minutes after getting the HDTracks email. Not enough time to listen yet, but I just saw her and the Dap-Kings at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this past Sunday (for FREE). Do yourself a favor and look up a few YouTube clips from the show. Stunning performance on a drizzly Sunday eve in SF. Words and YouTube clips just don't do it justice. I watched Patti Smith give an (also) stunning performance just prior, and I've been on a high ever since. I'm very happy to support music this good. Don't miss Ms. Jones next time she's in your town. It may be hyperbole, but if you've seen clips of James Brown in his prime, Sharon isn't far off. Those HDTracks boys need to get me 100 Days, 100 Nights in hi-rez too!

Thanks for the heads up. I love her music, but was less than impressed by the sound quality of the Redbook CD. It made me think it was really a MP3 copy, not Redbook.

Can anyone comment if the hi-rez download is significantly better than the Redbook version?

Fwiw, in this same genre, there is another related album called "DapKing Gold" that is a complilation worth a spin. Good bump'n grind'n tunes.

Thx,

Kenreau

Synology NAS> Aurender W20> AQ Wel AES/XLR> Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wire> Vandersteen 5As.

A/B'd a few tracks this weekend and the bass/low end is more prominent on the hirez. Imaging and instrument palpability also improve, but dynamics are about the same. The hirez also seems a tad lower in volume overall. I did toss the last track into audacity, and the waveforms look identical with no hard limiting/brickwalling. Doing the little transform thingy show energy up to 44kHz on hirez, 22kHz on redbook. So, the hirez seems to be a faithful copy of the master tape for both based on my limited sleuthing.