IGNORED

New J River WASAPI Event Style

Hi Guys - I just received word from J River about its new WASAPI Event Style output mode. It appears that this will help a lot of computer audiophiles using USB DACs. Here are some basics and a link to the JRMC WASAPI Wiki page.

From JRMC Wiki [Link]

WASAPI - Event Style

The output mode lets a sound device pull data from Media Center. This method is not supported by all hardware, but is recommended when supported.

WASAPI - Event Style has several advantages:

[*]It let's the audio subsystem pull data (when events are set) instead of pushing data to the system. This allows lower latency buffer sizes, and removes an unreliable Microsoft layer documented below.

[*]It creates, uses, and destroys all WASAPI interfaces from a single thread.

[*]The hardware (or WASAPI interface) never see any pause or flush calls. Instead, on pause or flush, silence is delivered in the pull loop. This removes the need for hacks for cards that circle their buffers on pause, flush, etc. (ATI HDMI, etc.).

[*]It allows for a more direct data path to the driver / hardware.

[*]The main 'pull loop' uses a lock-free circle buffer (a neat system J. River built for ASIO), meaning fullfilling a pull request is as fast as possible.

Problems

Stuttering

Some devices (most commonly USB DACs) will start stuttering during playback when using WASAPI. This is due to a bug in the WASAPI system or stock Microsoft driver where the circling buffers get out of order. Stopping and restarting playback is required to reset the stuttering.

Using WASAPI - Event Style will fix this problem.

There are more details here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59460.0

Hiccups using WASAPI - Event Style

The default buffering value for WASAPI - Event Style is 50ms. With some hardware, and especially USB DACs, a larger value is necessary. If you hear hiccups, select a larger value for buffering in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

Playback won't start or stalls

Some hardware is particular about buffer sizes. You may need to experiment with different buffering values using Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

A few years back I'm sure JRiver never used to be considered an audiophile choice.?!

With every update they seem to plant something new in there and clearly audiophiles are now well catered for.

This is great to see and well done to the programmers!

I'm going to have a play.

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

Its getting faster and faster with all the goodies audiophiles want.

WASAPI [event style] is running great here with HiFace and Win7 64.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Had problems last week with JRMC15 with ripped cd's (dbpowered) and WASAPI. Lots of distortions makes unbearable listenings. Switch to Asio4all and everything was great.

Now, I read this, switch back to WASAPI on JRMC15 and everything plays perfect. Yet I didn't dowloaded anything and don't see the WASAPI Event style in the output section, just the same WASAPI option like last week. Yet everything is working great now.

Should I assume that they did It internally already since everything is fine now? Just curious If my setting are fine or I need to download something else.

Thanks!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

• 1 month later...

Hello There,

what does that mean:

"WASAPI - Event Style

The output mode lets a sound device pull data from Media Center. This method is not supported by all hardware, but is recommended when supported."

Does a Hiface converter "pull data"? The DAC behind the Hiface might pull but the Hiface?

jerryt[br]Intel D525MW based server -> m2tech hiface; Cambridge Audio 640c II -> Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 -> Dynaudio Confidence C1, Sunfire HRS-10; Meier-Audio Corda Arietta -> AKG K 701

I just wanted to report that it is only the 'WASAPI Event' mode that finally provided me with proper computer music experience on my equipment (Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile Intel Core2Duo T9400 2GB RAM + HiFace). Before, I went thru a history of problems that I wanted to share in this forum:

First, I was using WinXP and JRMC15/Kernel Streaming with Hiface (driver 1.0.3.140 as per Marco advice). Music was good but the JRMC was very often becoming unstable - after changing tracks or after exiting JRMC - and re-launching JRMC was possible only after Windows restart which was very annoying.

Then, I decided to change to Win7 (64bit, 1.0.3.140driver) in the hope that it would provide better stability. I started with Kernel Streaming which unfortunately behave in similar way as with WinXP, forcing me occasionally to restart Windows.

Then, I switched to WASAPI but I experienced strange distortions - similarly as dummy reported (I think the distortions were actually disappearing after track pause or stop). I was playing with the driver and JRMC settings but got to the point where WASAPI stopped working at all displaying for every bitrate a strange message that "This output format may not be supported by your hardware". I could not get rid of the message even if I removed and re-installed both the driver and JRMC.

And then, I found the new 'WASAPI event' option in the menu and used it!!! Everything works now properly and computer Hi-Fi finally became a reality for me :-)

Thanks!