I've been reading up on iTunes 10 and how it most relates to computer audiophiles. There are a couple things I like. One of them is the AirPlay feature. not by itself, as it's just the old AirTunes, but when used with an AirPlay enabled device. The following is straight from Apple:

• Play music wirelessly with AirPlay on AirPlay-enabled speakers, home theater receivers, and iPod accessories.

I wonder if Apple will open this technology to more manufacturers so they can embed the AirPlay chip into their DACs.

Any thoughts on AirPlay?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Here's hoping for a B&W iPod speaker system adapted to play some Robert Plant and Jimmy Page in the garden!!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

All the capabilities described for AirPlay can be performed in the DLNA/UPnP architecture. Apple's choice to perpetuate their walled garden I feel is a setback to market adoption of what's possible with networked entertainment systems. There are many DLNA compliant devices from a mulitude of vendors currently available, and Apple missed an opportunity to cause a dramatic shift in this market by choosing this path.

I'd missed that pick wgscott ... I guess that would have to be a v2 Zeppelin with added Ethernet capability.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

CharlyD... I think the issue is that without a walled garden, standards don't interoperate very well... For example the DNLA servers that (I've found) work with PS3 don't work with my Yamaha reciever and vice versa. Both claim DNLA capability and the severs I've tried are DNLA complient. The other issue is what file formats different things support: I assume with AirPlay all will be transcode to ALAC.

Also there are features such as gapless playback that are missing from (standard) UPnP AV / DNLA.

Eloise

Eloise

---

There is no "AirPlay chip", it's just a set of networking protocols that could be implemented in software (or firmware) on any device with a network connection. That is, as long as Apple publishes the protocols for any developer to implement, which I hope they will do.

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

Hi Eloise - Have you tried the Asset UPnP server? I'm running the v3 beta version and it works perfectly with my Onkyo. I get cover art and other tag data in the now playing screen on my TV as well as working fast forward, rewind and pause controls. Unfortunately, Asset can't be installed on a NAS with Linux OS, so my PC must be running to use that server.

The most famous (notorious?) UPnP server, of course, is Twonky and the only positives I'll offer is that it handles a fairly large library very well and streams without breakup. Twonky runs on my NAS and is the server I use most commonly for that reason alone.

So far as file formats, the standards require detailed reporting of capabilities (e.g. format support) by any rendering device. If the file to be served is not supported by the rendering device, a well-designed server can transcode the file to one of the required formats (e.g. PCM).

Gapless playback has been implemented by Linn. I haven't researched how this was implemented.

As I've said in other threads, the DLNA/UPnP market really needs a major software shop to step in and produce a set of reference components for this architecture. It would also be good if DLNA was more strict about their compliance testing.

That's unfortunate, but it makes sense in the context of iPod accessories. That must be for DRM (especially since AirPlay allows for streaming of movies and TV shows).

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

Charly - no I've not tried Asset as a UPnP server: I'm a Mac OS X user (for music playback) and I don't think there is Asset for the Mac. Out of interest does Asset provide transcoding? I've tried a number of other servers - Twonky, TVersity (on Windows), EyeConnect, PS3 server and others. All seam to fall down in one area or another: either my devices can't see them, or they don't support transcoding.

If I'm honest UPnP has never been a major requirement - I prefer iTunes direct and have just played around with UPnP. Neither of my devices (Yamaha receiver and PS3) support ALAC or AIFF (the majority of my music) so transcoding is a must but seams not many offer transcoding.

Eloise

PS. djn04 why would you need AirPlay for your Wadia i170? Surely the point of the i170 is to connect your iPod to a DAC? An Airport Express (or new Apple TV) could just be connected to your DAC alongside the i170.

PPS. @nigel: it's my understanding that AirPlay will require some form of authentication chip, though it's possible that this could be emulated in software by Apple (or cracked by third party thought this would break the DRMC laws I guess).

Eloise

---

The Airport Express, and likely the new Apple TV, are not considered quality transports. I'm not sure if anything that uses Airplay can be used as a transport in quality setup but it would be nice if someone other than Micromega had a product that aimed to accomplish that.

I wonder if anyone will make high end amp with built in AirPlay. Either as a full integrated or a high end "Dock" ... something like a development of the Krell KID.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Eloise

You have the right idea. I have been tinkering with this concept for a while and believe it is a real opportunity for someone. I have contacted a UK design house and they have the capability to design it, but I have no possibility to launch manufacturing or a brand. I could put anybody with capital and capability in touch with them and get something going...

I out some of my ideas on www.cottage-audio.co.uk.

The fact that Apple TV can now stream ALAC and AIFF, but who knows what bit depth and rate, makes the idea more and more attractive.

Is anyone having issues with Airplay after upgrading to iTunes 10? I very rarely ever had drop-outs from my Airport Express-->DAC but now it happens quite frequently after downloading the update.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W