IGNORED

American Hi-Fi: Inferior?

GUTB

On 8/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, Ralf11 said:

maybe the US companies are focusing on SQ?

Schiit Quality? ?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 8/18/2018 at 2:46 AM, R1200CL said:

It’s my understanding part of American thinking is extremely conservative, and that can prohibit developing.

Brexit means Brexit. Whatever that means... taking back control perhaps.

22 hours ago, duxservit said:

(a) The market in the US has become small, for the type of gear you are talking about

It's all going to Russia these days... Wait, Russians oligarchs live in London... Rephrase that to "It's all going to London these days"...

18 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

081815-Pass_funny-600.thumb.jpg.dd5c5b1de107124f69c182fc33da4786.jpg

JD: I don’t want to open a whole can of worms, but you seem not to be overly concerned about getting very low distortion. For your First Watt amps you have made the point that at the low levels where most listening takes place, the distortion is very low. Yet, at high level peaks (especially with low- to medium-output power amps), distortion does rise considerably. But people like your amps. Does it have to do with the way the distortion rises, or with the spectral make-up of the distortion?

NP: The characteristic I get is the result of simple FET circuits running in Class A. This means minimal or no feedback, low-order harmonic characteristic, and monotonic but pedestrian distortion numbers.That approach usually (not always) delivers the sound that I like, and apparently my taste matches up with a portion of the buying public. The only magic involved takes place in the neural networks between our ears. What happens there is still poorly understood and varies between individuals. Whatever the deal is, ultra low distortion doesn’t seem to have much to do with it.

The man is not interested in high-fidelity, he's just having fun designing simple circuits that sound pleasant to him around different transistors.

But he knows his stuff, and has made his designs available to the DIY community. I don't know much about the Pass brand, who owns it or makes profit from him, but NP is entitled to earn his share as much as the next guy so I hope it's him.

The Zu case is more interesting because they are selling rubbish with apparently some success.

Schiit are another example of wonderful marketeering. I won't discuss the quality of their designs or the reliability of their products.

15 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

WTF!! Saying that Nelson Pass isn't interested in high-fidelity, is a bit like saying Bob Dylan isn't interested in song writing or similar.

He says so himself, in the interview quoted above...

6 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

I've read the full interview and it is certainly worth a read. Here is a link, and I couldn't see one earlier in this thread:

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/Interview-with-Nelson-Pass

But at no point can I find him saying something like 'he is not interested in high fidelity'. When he says 'Whatever the deal is, ultra low distortion doesn’t seem to have much to do with it.', I take 'Whatever the deal is..' to mean 'Whatever high fidelity is as perceived by the human brain..'. 

High-fidelity is the accurate reproduction of the recorded signal. If you add perception and taste you are no longer talking about high-fidelity.

I don't know what to call it though: "tailored-sound", "post-production"?