IGNORED

New neutral/transparent DAC

I’ve rethink about my list. Added some DACs. Others deleted from the list. I will listen to these ones:

Crane Song Solaris

RME ADI 2 Pro

Benchmark DAC3 DX

Topping D30 -> although the DAC chip (Cirrus CS4398) is pretty old, but was one of the best around 5-10 years ago

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 3:55 PM, RamUwe said:

I’ve rethink about my list. Added some DACs. Others deleted from the list. I will listen to these ones:

Crane Song Solaris

RME ADI 2 Pro

Benchmark DAC3 DX

Topping D30 -> although the DAC chip (Cirrus CS4398) is pretty old, but was one of the best around 5-10 years ago

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Have you had a chance to audition or compared any of these three yet?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, RamUwe said:

Sorry, not yet. But I will report …

Thanks - looking forward to it. 

About the Solaris, based on my experience I would say be careful when you audition it.

I’ve had one for 8 months and found it to be VERY lacking in the lower mids when fed into a pair of well regarded studio monitors, Geithain RL 906’s

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/geithain-rl906

So, for example,  most acoustic instruments don’t sound like they do in real life compared to using other DACs I’ve fed into the same loudspeakers. Music sounds thin. Double basses lack the individual character imparted by their frequency output an octave above their fundamental - that is, in the low mids; tenor saxophones sound more like altos; low male voices lack resonance; drums in particular lack their beautiful tones and individual personalities. And amplified instruments like bass guitars when typically EQed similarly lack character. 

As a result my Solaris  makes individual instruments SEEM to have enhanced clarity because it artificially enhances separation. This is because there is a massive lack of lower mids which in real life mask the higher frequencies.

I would suspect that some people including some recording engineers, who perhaps mainly listen to (and work with) electronic music would have no idea that this is happening when  comparing the Solaris side by side with more normal dacs. To them it may seem like the Solaris has better resolution and clarity! 

I’ve come close to selling my Solaris because of its poor SQ but have kept it for a few reasons: 1. As a musician it helps me analyse what individual musicians in a band are  playing due to the artificial separation between instruments. 2. When I’m tired and listening to recordings the Solaris is sometimes easier to listen to for the same reason - it lessens listener fatigue and I can stay awake.

Needless to say it’s not the DAC I normally use for listening pleasure!

For the record my Solaris has “REV 6” written on the circuit board - presumably meaning the sixth revision of the design since its inception.

30ACA801-8C72-44A1-8948-EE28ADD120D0.jpeg

Neutral and transparent, I would highly recommend the Chord Qutest.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2018 at 8:24 PM, RamUwe said:

A short update after a few tests:

I've bought the Oppo Sonica DAC. The DAC offers excellent measurements relating to noise, distortion, linearity, and jitter. The best implementation of ESS ES9038PRO in a DAC I've ever heard by far.

Thanks for the feedback - kudos for reporting back after your decision and purchase, (unlike many on the internet). What are you listening to and enjoying more since your upgrade?

Yes Weiss are a good DAC, you have also the 780D from Moon, La Rosita " Gamma HD ", NAGRA HD DAC....

sur it's only pricey DAC but when you want the best ....!!

I never listen the NAGRA but i listen Moon, Weiss and La Rosita, and for me, the only one give me emotion is La Rosita, it feel more analogue sound.

Maybe somebody compare La Rosita and NAGRA ?

49 minutes ago, captainhifi said:

sur it's only pricey DAC but when you want the best ....!!

What makes them better than others? The price? I don't think so. Pricey means not better. Power supply, the implementation of the chips as well as the installed components are crucial. Often only the name pushes the price. So I ask you again. What makes them better than others? And can you prove your statements with meassurements? Listening impressions are subjective and often psychoacoustically influenced. 

not price of course but quality of building, component they use.....

all DAC have same measurments, or really near and all DAC sound different, so only listening can do differences.

For me, music is to feel emotion and not buy perfect  measurement so you have to listen for it.

that's why i ask for people listening La Rosita and NAGRA for having a feeling, if not i can read  technical informations between the 2 devices like everybody ?

42 minutes ago, captainhifi said:

not price of course but quality of building, component they use.....

That's what I've said. Nothing else. But quality of building and components doesn't have to cost 20k$ or more. That's imho bullsh*t. In this case only the name pushes the price ;)

all DAC have same measurments, or really near and all DAC sound different, so only listening can do differences.

Sorry, but that's not right. All DACs have different level of noise, distortion, linearity, and jitter. It depends on power supply, the implementation of the chips as well as the installed components. That is what has impact on the sound and listening. Subjective listening differences may be added.

For me, music is to feel emotion and not buy perfect  measurement so you have to listen for it.

Bad measurements mean bad listening experience ;)

i can read  technical informations between the 2 devices like everybody

I don't read technical informations ;) I do measurements by myself!