IGNORED

Best SSD for music

• 9 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 9:44 PM, davide256 said:

In  prioritizing importance in audio performance, 1-10... I'd rank that choice at about a 3, with power supply quality a 9 and system architecture a 10. It's a 3 because

you need enough storage to grow but as long as your using SATA3, the drive choice won't  affect audio... the hardware solution it resides in (architecture) will

Amending this comment made  before discovering how good Audio Linux is as source solution OS.  SSD's tend to be bright and irritating for sound when using Audio Linux, a  hard drive sounds more natural but does lose some high frequency sparkle. I find myself preferring  class 10 SDXC storage media as the best compromise

between the two and in all cases external USB3 attached to allow independent power supply for the drive sounded better than internal SATA attached

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, jaynyc said:

@davide256 following your post from May, specifically in regards to SSDs under Linux sounding ‘bright’...  have you explored any other remedies/solutions/ideas outside of SDXC?  For example, does a JCAT or Patchenko SATA cable help tame brightness?  Eager to hear any of your findings.    Am also curious more generally if Linux+SSD is actually bright in reality or if everything else is actually/historically just ‘dull’ in comparison.

I haven't played around with internal SATA cables but given that the symptoms showed with both internal and USB3 connected HD appliance used with AL,

I don't believe SATA cables to be a causal factor. Switching to Euphony OS has helped with digital irritants, I will need to go back and retest to see

if that "tames" SSD as  a media drive or improves HD for transients. Won't be doing that for a few weeks until  the HDPLEX comes back from repair.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, plissken said:

Anyone know if Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon Music, Apple are using Audiophile SSD's in their servers?

Doubt it... but they also don't use single processor board servers built for consumer checkbooks 😉 A server in a data center has multiple CPU boards, memory,

capable of running multiple virtual machines. Not sure though what the disk access hardware solution is, has to be independent and mirrored to meet uptime availability requirements, hot swap needs.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, Mauidj7 said:

Sorry mate but tried to read some of that thread and it made my head hurt!!!!! I think I will go listen to some music now :-)

Don't worry about it. Keep it simple with NAS and NAS hard drives for media isolation, faster/quieter drives only help with the media player/OS installation

Regards,

Dave

Audio system