IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

1 hour ago, jegreenwood said:

So it appears.  It’s just frustrating to have such an unpleasant experience on first encounter.

Right now the files from prior downloads are on three different hard drives (my having copied them to my music server and two backups on other machines).  I’ll try to download the TAR versions as well just in case.

There are 2 different actions when you are a Qobuz customer, as far as I know:

1. You can buy music and in this case you don't even need a Qobuz account or anything else than using the website, purchase using whatever paying method is allowed and download the files (the tar) and those files are now yours to enjoy with whatever music player supports the format (I guess all, nowadays).

2. You are a Qobuz plan subscriber and using the desktop/mobile app you can both use the streaming function AND, if you want, buy files.

These will appear in the "purchased" tab but it's just a...tab, they would be streamed (and cached) if you press play exactly like any other file, depending on how much disk space you allocate for the cache.

The download command instead is to keep them in the app (instead of in the cache) without using the network to stream the album again and again, or just to have them shown there (you might have hundreds of purchased albums but only want a bunch on your disk *to be listened offline via the app*).

This is not supposed to be a "download the files so I can use them whenever I want".

If you log out the app, all your data are deleted from it (this seems obvious to me) until you login again.

So, unless you are a streaming plan subscriber or are in the trial period, you can uninstall and forget about the desktop app, and purchase the files via the website.

Hope it helps 🙂

1 minute ago, jegreenwood said:

But I don't have a streaming account.  All I can do is buy files.  Which I did through the website.  Which led me to two download choices: download tar files or download through the app.  Why wouldn't it tell me that my purchased files could vanish if I use the app.  I have seen nothing of the sort.  Don't you think a warning is appropriate?

And by the way, the app offers two options import and download.  But as far as I can see, they do the same thing.

I know what to do now to keep my files: either download them as tar files or move them to another folder before I exit from Qobuz.  I just don't see the logic in the Qobuz system.

I agree, it can be confusing...guess this is one for the Qobuz team to improve for sure. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just installed the latest iOS version and when it loads batches of albums (favs or new issues), the background turns white as if I'm using the standard mode (I use dark mode).

Is it a known issue? Will it be fixed soon? These things are annoying, I can't believe no one catches them before release...

• 4 weeks later...

Desktop latest version on Mac: still not resolved, every 30 seconds the app (in background, doing nothing), uses a core and a half freezing the input for a second (if I'm clicking somewhere in that moment, it does not release the mouse pointer and I end up dragging items instead).

On the activity monitor I can see every 30 seconds the Qobuz app using 150% CPU for no reason.

Known issue?

On 6/22/2021 at 8:50 AM, David Craff said:

Hi,

When you said 'doing nothing' there is no music playing on the app ?

Correct, it's just in background, even when pressing the red button to close the window like you do in Macs so that the app "disappears" even if the app was just started and I didn't scroll any long list or anything similar that might cause high memory usage, for example. It's just as if there is a loop doing something every 30 seconds.

Version 6.0.0-b005 on a mid 2014 Macbook pro maxed out (3.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM) running El Capitan.

It didn't start with this latest version 6, definitely wasn't present months ago, although the CPU usage has always been very high while browsing so it might have been hidden (seems better with the current).

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, rando said:

Portable device app chokes on 100GB(!) of proprietary data files stored on SD card at first boot? 

Is this an accurate description of "issue"?

This is a utility function designed for ease.  Not carrying around roughly 600 hours (not an awful lot is highly instructive here) of music in a highly copy protected - believably high strain - file structure.  Consider what function a given element is there to provide.  In this case it was using a Qobuz subscription to quickly grab a handful of albums for times where internet access is unlikely to provide the level of experience they feel is required to enjoy their service.  Plane rides, down time on a camping trip, etc. 

If the combination of your DAP, your SD card, and misuse of the Qobuz app crashes it?  Consider using it within the capabilities.  Then politely asking them to reconsider if the sensibilities of Old World customers or New World customers set a better path forwards in this instance.   If you want a full library on your device.  Use it as it was designed, i.e. load it up with music you own and can freely play back without restriction.  :)

I fail to understand why these people feel the urge to tell paying customers what they should do or not when they don't even work for the company 😆 (oh wait, I know: it's called loving bullying other people)

Having 100GB of music on a player is a perfectly fine thing to do and asking Qobuz to use a better way to encrypt their file is also perfectly fine, instead of clogging filesystems.

My iPhone XS takes more than 1 second to open the list of offline albums and I have only ~40 of them, in mp3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 3:39 PM, Talisman said:

For the first time, I decided to download a 28-song playlist at CD quality via Wi-Fi for offline listening. My iPhone 12 Pro Max was roughly 10 feet from a router on a 500Mbps fiber connection at the time. But via the Qobuz app, I never got faster than dialup speeds, even though Speedtest said I was downloading at 508Mbps.

I gave up after 10 songs had been downloaded in an hour (as you probably know, the screen has to be awake for the downloads to continue). I tried again this morning: same result. This small playlist was a test run, as my favorite playlist has 181 songs and that would've been next. The test run obviously failed.

I tried downloading the same playlist with the Tidal app at Master Quality, and each track downloaded in a few seconds.

Is anyone else experiencing similar slowness?

iPhone 12 speed test.png

Measuring on Chrome I can see it's capped at ~800Kbps which is ridiculous. I guess it's a way to save some money from useless data when people start a song and skip without listening to it completely, like when youtube now only loads some seconds of the video instead of buffering it all like they did more than 10 years ago. It's a real pain to see a 2 minutes mp3 song taking 6 seconds to load.

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm talking about browsing the app mostly. It takes forever to load the album covers etc... Playback is immediate. 

Same here, not sure if it's because of the speed cap or the app itself being slower internally.

Edit - I was going to do a new post but since we're on topic, @The Computer Audiophileas I understand you are also on iOS (iPhone?) and have a collection of offline albums: does it take long to you too to open the offline list? It takes ~2 seconds on iPhoneXS (40 offline albums) and ~8 seconds on the latest iPod (170 offline albums so far - I'm adding more now, by 2025 I'll be done considering the horrible speed cap).

@David Craffcan you please check with the iOS app people: it takes 14 seconds to open the list of offline albums (I have 256 so far), is there any plan to fix it?

Also, it would be a good idea to remove the speed cap for the import jobs.

On top of that when there is an error downloading tracks the app just waits for me to press the resume button, and it happens sometimes even once or twice every album 😩

• 2 weeks later...